You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Bond  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Best Bond

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Bjornebye said:

Then it would no longer be James Bond. 

It would be if they just happen to find someone else with the name, James Bond......It's fictional mate, they can theoretically take the story where they choose. The Secret Agent/Secret Service bit would always be there, as would 007 if they chose to keep it. Fuck me, they could just retire him and have him mentoring a new and younger agent. Which for me would be the best way to cross over and introduce a new character.  

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

It would be if they just happen to find someone else with the name, James Bond......It's fictional mate, they can theoretically take the story where they choose. The Secret Agent/Secret Service bit would always be there, as would 007 if they chose to keep it. Fuck me, they could just retire him and have him mentoring a new and younger agent. Which for me would be the best way to cross over and introduce a new character.  

Or just leave it as it always has been. The 2nd to last Bond was the joint best Bond of all time IMO. Don't just break it to keep up with political correctness. Have a spin off or something. 

Jeanette Bond. Has her Pink Gin and Lemonade, stirred not shaken. 0069 

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Or just leave it as it always has been. The 2nd to last Bond was the joint best Bond of all time IMO. Don't just break it to keep up with political correctness. Have a spin off or something. 

Jeanette Bond. Has her Pink Gin and Lemonade, stirred not shaken. 0069 

I'm really not that arsed mate, as I explained above. Like everything though, it's all down personal tastes. I wouldn't knock those fans of a show who are against change for whatever reason, personally i wouldn't be arsed, even if I was a fan. If they got Gal Gadot to replace James, I might even watch it. Opening scene...Gal getting special one to one tuition from dirty old James. 

11 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah no problem with it, it's just a quirky scene as I see it.

That being said, James Bond is absolutely nailed on to be destroyed in its next incarnation, it's too big a prize for the seemingly huge army of people out there these days who exist only to shit on things for other people.

There'll be producers/directors who want to make a name for themselves doing something 'radical' with it, and armies of woke wankers who just want to see it torn down so they can piss ordinary people off, like when Bill Gates walked in and broke all of Homer's pencils purely for the sake of it. 

It's a modern myth created by these people that Bond is an outdated character anyway. He hasn't made any overtly sexist or demeaning sexist jibes I can think off since the Connery/Moore era, primarily the former.

Judi Dench was made his boss for precisely that reason and there were tough women characters in it like Jinx. Certainly I'd say Craig's version isn't sexiest by any standards I can remember.

What the woke crowd mean is that he pulls women (again, nowhere near as many as in the past) he's straight, white, and doesn't talk much about his mental health. This in itself makes him a target for reinvention.

Which, for my money, is pure cultural vandalism. If you want a new character, get off your chai latte drinking arse and invent one.

I don't get the fascination with people wanting to change the character itself. The character has been one of the most popular cinema characters of all time because of who he is already. 

Then someone decides one day that he should be changed. If someone wants there to be a strong female secret agent like James Bond or Jason Bourne why not create a film series and get some decent fresh storyline rather than just deciding to change an already established character who has been popular for generations?

Guest Pistonbroke

Plus it is fiction, so they can make women hard as fuck...see Kill Bill, Tomb Raider etc. If you want things to be realistic then watching a fictional based film is probably not wise. Even the male characters are exaggerated to great lengths.  

41 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

The actors change, the character doesn’t. James Bond is James Bond.

The Pierce Brosnan “James Bond” is meant to be the same person as the Sean Connery “James Bond”, even though they’re about 50 years apart and the movies are canonically connected? Don’t think so mate 

12 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I don't get the fascination with people wanting to change the character itself. The character has been one of the most popular cinema characters of all time because of who he is already. 

Then someone decides one day that he should be changed. If someone wants there to be a strong female secret agent like James Bond or Jason Bourne why not create a film series and get some decent fresh storyline rather than just deciding to change an already established character who has been popular for generations?

It's chip-pissing pure and simple, that's all it is. He's someone to be killed off because of what he represents. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, moof said:

The Pierce Brosnan “James Bond” is meant to be the same person as the Sean Connery “James Bond”, even though they’re about 50 years apart and the movies are canonically connected? Don’t think so mate 

giphy.gif

Can't wait for the new Batman film where Bruce Wayne is a black lesbian who lives with her transsexual partner. They don't have a Butler because it's a gender defined role and the Wayne family fortune had been built on fair trade chai latte. They occasionally fight crime by having drop in sessions at the local youth centre for people to talk about mental health. They change the setting of the film from Gotham City to Peckham. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, moof said:

I think it is mate. For example Roger Moore's Bond had an fbi mate and the Dalton Bond film Licence to Kill was about him going rogue as a result of the same fbi mate and his wife being brutally injured/murdered by Robert Davi's villian

17 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

I think it is mate. For example Roger Moore's Bond had an fbi mate and the Dalton Bond film Licence to Kill was about him going rogue as a result of the same fbi mate and his wife being brutally injured/murdered by Robert Davi's villian

You might be right mate, but there are enough continuity questions for it to at least be open to interpretation. 

It’s absolutely galling seeing grown men stamping their feet and throwing tantrums about the possibility of a Hollywood movie franchise making some character adjustments. Really strange thread, this. 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

You might be right mate, but there are enough continuity questions for it to at least be open to interpretation. 

It’s absolutely galling seeing grown men stamping their feet and throwing tantrums about the possibility of a Hollywood movie franchise making some character adjustments. Really strange thread, this. 

What makes it really strange is that Daniel Craig is playing James Bond in the film. People are losing their shit over nothing. 

59 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I’m aware it’s not a documentary.  If you rewrite the character so much why not invent another character?  Can’t we have Bond and a strong female secret agent with her own story? 

9 minutes ago, moof said:

Lets re-make Dumbo but have Dumbo be a Siamese Cat instead of an Elephant because lets face it, the Elephant has hogged that role for years now. Its time for change! 

8 minutes ago, skend04 said:

What makes it really strange is that Daniel Craig is playing James Bond in the film. People are losing their shit over nothing. 

While at the same time railing against the culture of outrage for the sake of outrage. We really live in a post irony society. 

17 minutes ago, moof said:

Depends on the context perhaps? I don't watch them like i used to so don't know enough to give a proper opinion on it. If the franchise was losing money then having a character change to revitalise it would make sense i suppose but otherwise I'd leave it be. 

That said I wouldn't say no to Naomi Rapace giving it a go. Love Naomi Rapace me

Just now, KMD7 said:

Depends on the context perhaps? I don't watch them like i used to so don't know enough to give a proper opinion on it. If the franchise was losing money then having a character change to revitalise it would make sense i suppose but otherwise I'd leave it be. 

That said I wouldn't to Naomi Rapace giving it a go. Love Naomi Rapace me

Hell yeah, I can get behind that

• Upvote 1