You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Bond  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Best Bond

What about Barbara Bach in the Spy Who Loved Me?. She was immense. Denise Richards did not really convince as a nuclear physicist in The World Is not Enough, it was the hot pants and short top struggling to contain her massive tits that destroyed her credibility.

I voted for Roger Moore, I enjoyed his films and laughed at his suaveness, he was the James Bond I knew when i was growing up. The only criticism i have is that when he was in danger he never seemed to treat it seriously, in Live and Let Die he nearly gets his finger cut off by Tee Hee, left on a lake of Alligators and races a boat round the Bayou without breaking a sweat.

Daniel Craig or Sean Connery are probably more convincing as a spy.

According to Wikipedia Daniel Craig was born in Chester, went to Weat Kirby grammar school and lived in Prescot at one point.

• 4 years later...

New James Bond film 'to star Captain Marvel actress as 007

Fleabag writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge is looking to change up the long-running franchise in what's been dubbed a 'popcorn dropping moment'

The next James Bond film is reportedly set to include a massive change for the long running spy series - a woman playing 007.

There has been much debate as to who will replace Daniel Craig, after he announced he was stepping down following the forthcoming 25th Bond movie.

While that decision has yet to be made - or at least not made public - Fleabag writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge has apparently still found a way to shake thing up. Potential spoilers ahead!

According to the Mail on Sunday, the as-yet untitled 'Bond 25' will see British actress Lashana Lynch become the next 007.

Lynch enjoyed a breakthrough role as the fighter pilot Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel, as part of Marvel's blockbuster superhero series.

The paper says Lynch will not be the next Bond but will be a secret agent taking on the iconic 007 code number after Bond leaves MI6.

A film insider told the Mail on Sunday the big reveal will be a "popcorn-dropping moment".

According to the source, Bond will be retired and living in Jamaica but there is a 'global crisis' and spymaster M, played by Ralph Fiennes, turns to the legendary spy for help.

The source continued: "There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

"It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."

Waller-Bridge is determined to bring the franchise up to date and is tackling a number of 'issues' she felt existed with Bond.

"There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not Bond is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women," she says.

"I think that’s b*******. I think he’s absolutely relevant now. [The franchise] has just got to grow.

"It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to his character."

A black female 007? It will be worth it just for the sheer amusement of seeing people trying to think up loads of excuses why it's so wrong to do so while trying to hide the fact it's just because it's a black woman.

You know, like how people spent loads of time contorting and saying John Barnes didn't play as well for England as he did Liverpool because he was born in Jamaica and didn't car about the national side when really they just hated him for being black. 

15 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Erm, she isn't James Bond? 007 is just the code name. Just like 'M' is the code name. So if we had a female M and a male M, why not a female 007 when James retires? 

I know, I was only joking.

Congratulations Hollywood for finding yet another way to flog a dead horse. Not content with fast and furious 17 or whatever we're on and the endless fucking supply of Marvel films what we really need is another Bond film. Woman 007 or not, who's arsed? Loads of people apparently. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Erm, she isn't James Bond? 007 is just the code name. Just like 'M' is the code name. So if we had a female M and a male M, why not a female 007 when James retires? 

Yeah no problem with it, it's just a quirky scene as I see it.

That being said, James Bond is absolutely nailed on to be destroyed in its next incarnation, it's too big a prize for the seemingly huge army of people out there these days who exist only to shit on things for other people.

There'll be producers/directors who want to make a name for themselves doing something 'radical' with it, and armies of woke wankers who just want to see it torn down so they can piss ordinary people off, like when Bill Gates walked in and broke all of Homer's pencils purely for the sake of it. 

It's a modern myth created by these people that Bond is an outdated character anyway. He hasn't made any overtly sexist or demeaning sexist jibes I can think off since the Connery/Moore era, primarily the former.

Judi Dench was made his boss for precisely that reason and there were tough women characters in it like Jinx. Certainly I'd say Craig's version isn't sexiest by any standards I can remember.

What the woke crowd mean is that he pulls women (again, nowhere near as many as in the past) he's straight, white, and doesn't talk much about his mental health. This in itself makes him a target for reinvention.

Which, for my money, is pure cultural vandalism. If you want a new character, get off your chai latte drinking arse and invent one.

• Upvote 5

Why would it be ruined if a non-straight white man who isn’t borderline rapey is the next bond? 

It’s just a sign of the times. I want my indiscriminate killers who work as an asset for British government interests to set a good example to the yoof of today 

To be fair a lot of black stand-up routines used to include stories of how their mum's would regularly slap the black off them. I'd say a black female 007 could be bitching. Instead of all the covert undercover shenanigans she could just go in and beat the shit out of Scaramanga and Blofeld.

23 hours ago, Lee909 said:

New James Bond film 'to star Captain Marvel actress as 007

Fleabag writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge is looking to change up the long-running franchise in what's been dubbed a 'popcorn dropping moment'

The next James Bond film is reportedly set to include a massive change for the long running spy series - a woman playing 007.

There has been much debate as to who will replace Daniel Craig, after he announced he was stepping down following the forthcoming 25th Bond movie.

While that decision has yet to be made - or at least not made public - Fleabag writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge has apparently still found a way to shake thing up. Potential spoilers ahead!

According to the Mail on Sunday, the as-yet untitled 'Bond 25' will see British actress Lashana Lynch become the next 007.

Lynch enjoyed a breakthrough role as the fighter pilot Maria Rambeau in Captain Marvel, as part of Marvel's blockbuster superhero series.

The paper says Lynch will not be the next Bond but will be a secret agent taking on the iconic 007 code number after Bond leaves MI6.

A film insider told the Mail on Sunday the big reveal will be a "popcorn-dropping moment".

According to the source, Bond will be retired and living in Jamaica but there is a 'global crisis' and spymaster M, played by Ralph Fiennes, turns to the legendary spy for help.

The source continued: "There is a pivotal scene at the start of the film where M says 'Come in 007', and in walks Lashana who is black, beautiful and a woman.

"It’s a popcorn-dropping moment. Bond is still Bond but he’s been replaced as 007 by this stunning woman."

Waller-Bridge is determined to bring the franchise up to date and is tackling a number of 'issues' she felt existed with Bond.

"There’s been a lot of talk about whether or not Bond is relevant now because of who he is and the way he treats women," she says.

"I think that’s b*******. I think he’s absolutely relevant now. [The franchise] has just got to grow.

"It has just got to evolve, and the important thing is that the film treats the women properly. He doesn’t have to. He needs to be true to his character."

The word "reportedly" is doing a lot of the heavy lifting in that article. 

Still, it will probably kill off a fair few Mail readers, so that can't be a bad thing. 

4 hours ago, moof said:

Why would it be ruined if a non-straight white man who isn’t borderline rapey is the next bond? 

It’s just a sign of the times. I want my indiscriminate killers who work as an asset for British government interests to set a good example to the yoof of today 

At what point though does he stop being James Bond and just become another action hero?

Why can't we make Rocky an articulate and technically-gifted boxer? Or Bruce Wayne a well adjusted individual?

I'm not fussed about the colour of tja actor, as that's nothing to do with the character. But Bond's character traits are that he's a gambler, a womaniser, a high functioning alcoholic, patriotic and ruthless. They're what makes him Bond, else he's just Jason Bourne.

The lobby driving the call to 'modernise' him aren't the anti gambling, anti booze, anti violence lobby nor are they Dianne Abbott and David Lammy, they're by and large the kind of women who drive the likes of Germaine Greer off Twitter by accusing her of selling out and who, by and large, probably don't have a whole lot else to do with their time.

He's a cultural battleground that a certain section of our society have pinpointed on a map and they're manoeuvring their panzers of outrage info position as we speak.

• Upvote 6

Guest Pistonbroke

I've not been arsed about 007 since I was a kid. I've watched one or two since then, but not all of them. It was all a bit different in the early days. TV wasn't renowned for having that many Blockbuster films, so people eagerly awaited the latest Bond movie and it was a family occasion to sit and watch it together. Just a mediocre film franchise in the big scheme of things these days. 

James Bond’s character isn’t in keep with the 21st Century? Sound, just go back to making Bond films set in the 50s, 60s or whatever. Want a new character that is more in keeping with modern times? Sound, come up with something new. Of course, there probably isn’t the desire for this, as the James Bond franchise is incredibly lucrative.

6 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

James Bond’s character isn’t in keep with the 21st Century? Sound, just go back to making Bond films set in the 50s, 60s or whatever. Want a new character that is more in keeping with modern times? Sound, come up with something new. Of course, there probably isn’t the desire for this, as the James Bond franchise is incredibly lucrative.

I honestly don't understand what people mean when they say 'not in keeping'.

I wonder how many SAS officer types like shagging, drinking and shooting people. A large percentage of them I imagine, and rightly so. 

For me, depicting that type of character is 'in keeping'. What isn't in keeping is making shit up, such as the notion that some woke motherfucker could make it through the ranks of the British parachute regiment while complaining to the rest of his unit that women's skirts are too short these days. 

• Upvote 1