You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunderland away

Bjornebye

Q: When is BR going to play FB at CF???

SUAREZ IS NOT A CENTRE FORWARD.

Time and time again today we saw Stirling and Johnson cross the ball to a box of Sunderland defenders.

Even Michael Fucking Owen could have scored a hatrick today, on the crosses provided.

On a more positive note, Reina is a skilled boot changer, and we moved up the table, as duly recorded in my signature.

I was sure that Borini play up top all first half

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've got no choice but to put a youth team out thursday in that Europa shite' date=' had an affect on us when we played Arsenal, we need to be fresh against those cunts.[/quote']

Or is the Europa the more important fixture?

An ongoing presence in the Europa provides Rodgers ( and several of our new/younger players) with vital European experience, and vital exposure for several of our more experienced players. there is no realistic prospect of a top four challenge so should we not be prioritising the Europa?

I found his bit about Allen interesting. People have blasted Lucas for passing backwards and sidewards and choosing the easy option (even though he doesn't) and been drooling over Allen, yet so far from the few games that have been played where Allen has been in the Lucas role he has rarely made any forward passes, whereas Lucas makes a lot of forward seeking passes. Allen possesses a really good passing range and vision, it would be nice if tried a few more forward passes even if he isn't being deployed to do that currently.

Problem is there are no passes on to go forward. Watch when Skirtel/Agger have the ball, Allen is constantly on the move lookig for the pass. Stevie should be doing likewise but instead is ambling around. He is also too far way from Allen when ever he gets the ball.

If Allen turns with the ball (assume no players around him), playing the ball in to feeet to Borini and Suarez is wasterful. Luis is better holding the ball up but half the time he is doing wateful flicks. It is here were we are losing possession and unable to build momentum.

Not having the confidence / options to turn a pass into the forwards, the next best option is to find your midfield playmaker. Stevie was too slow/far away from Allen most of the time so he is forced back to Agger/Skirtel.

Allen has the ability to take the ball forward but has the last of confidence to do so as he knows we are likely to lose it higher up the pitch (see above) and that Stevie is not fast enough to come across and cover. Meaning we are exposed when we lose the ball as he is out of position.

There are so many things wrong with the team for the way BR wants to play.

StevieG is a legend but he is one of the reasons why we are struggling with the new style, mainly becasue he wants to force it too quickly but also because he is conserverving too much engergy and/or tiring too quickly. Therefore not as mobile as required. He needs to play off the striker where he can conserve energy wihout affecting the team game.

Disappointed with what some are saying about Gerrard. He was playing a deeper role today and I thought our midfield controlled the game. Some of his passing was insightful. He wasn't "dire" as some are allowing themselves to believe.

The biggest problem I saw was how easily we gave the ball away in the final third. Shelvey was particularly guilty, but did make amends with some efforts on goal. I feel we need to slow things up sometimes in their half. We seem in a rush to get to goal, and we find ourselves lacking options once we do get up there.

Borini is a bit of headless chicken at the moment. He needs to played more centrally, as only goals will settle him down. He's not going to get too many chances doing what he is doing at the moment.

Suarez, as Waddle mentioned, was a waste on the left. It wasn't until he played more centrally that he came alive for us. The problem with him playing off of the main striker is that he tends to give the ball away. What annoys me further is he is quick to blame his teammates for his mistakes. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make way to fund a decent striker in January, as the constant booing he is receiving would tempt anyone out of the door.

Overall, a positive performance, and we deserved more than a point. I think if we can give a couple more youngsters a chance (Amoo and Yesil) we might make it to January with a decent chance of attracting a striker to replace Suarez and perhaps make a surge for the European places. We're already a long way behind, but I think the competition is more evenly spread in the league this year, meaning a good run in winter could really jump us up the league and set us up nicely for next season.

Not sure if it's the formation, or where/how he's being asked to play, but he looks a bit lost at the moment. I think it's significant that Joe Allen has started so well. He obviously knows his role and what is expected of him. I'm a bit torn between thinking he needs to be benched and he's just going through a rough patch. The old saying about class being permanent...

Fucking frustrating to see Sunderland's goal. Only attacking player in the box was Fletcher, and the ball goes straight to his feet, past the first defender and a despairing dive from Reina.

If that had've been us then the cross would either have hit the first defender or easily cleared .

We are just screaming out for a finisher. Not a great/world class player, just a finisher. Swap Borini for Fletcher and how different our results would be.

Fucking frustrating to see Sunderland's goal. Only attacking player in the box was Fletcher, and the ball goes straight to his feet, past the first defender and a despairing dive from Reina.

If that had've been us then the cross would either have hit the first defender or easily cleared .

We are just screaming out for a finisher. Not a great/world class player, just a finisher. Swap Borini for Fletcher and how different our results would be.

What good would a finisher do us then?

Nice to see the usual moaners having a go in the match thread.

[sarcasm]But also very well, done Mr Henry, very well done.[/sarcasm] Talk of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Do you even know what that saying means over here?

It has been about as difficult a start as you could expect to a season. We have probably achieved worse than I expected, after the united game I expect some kind of points haul, we need a run of wins. There's only so many times you can hear players saying a win is just around the corner.

Agree with those sentiments Bobby. We simply have to start picking up points against the so-called 'small' teams or a relegation battle is a real possibility. The game next weekend is, unfortunatley, a write-off because they simply are a much better team than us (pains me to say it). Anything we can get off them would be a bonus, I know we should be looking to win every game but I'm simply being realistic/pessimistic.

We probably should have 6 points so far. In both the games we should have won, you can take a lot of positives out of the performances. The other two results/performances have been dreadful. You would expect some inconsistency this season, regardless, we need to get some points on the board, and fast.

The Norwich, Stoke, Reading sequence is becoming cruicial to our the first half of our season shapes up. Seven points from that lot and we will be in comfortable territory,less than four and the game against Everton will assume a psychological status beyond its points yield.

Played well yesterday, good football, looked a lot more solid and created more chances. 23 shots to 4, 6 on target to 1 on target for them! But the most important statistic is the score.

I am pretty sure some of the whingers on this thread have looked at the score and ammended their point of view to fit, and some have simply made up their mind regardless and will look for proof of this in any performance.

The shape was better with Gerrard sitting, and Suarez on the left, Sterling will offer more than Bellamy woule have over this season, Allen was poor yesterday, Shelvey played well and Borini looked much better in the middle.

And for all the talk about Andy Caroll, Suraz has scored half as many premiership goals as Andy scored in the whole of last season already.

He is not that type of player at all. He is playing exactly the role he played for Swansea and in Italy.

I'd suggest Brendan Rodgers, the guy who worked with him every day for over a year, and also worked with him as a youth player, knows more about how to use borini right than you do.

This is Fabio Borini. Dont expect much more. He will score a few but will just about get 10 this season.

He played as a lone striker for Swansea, running behind the defence and generally being a work horse and a fox in the box. He played mostly out wide for Roma, still working his arse off but a little bit further away from the box. I don't think we have the right balance in the team to play him up front at the moment because the midfield is too deep. He needs to be playing on the defenders back foot and not dropping deep.

When he's in the box and gets behind the defence his movement is good enough to get him a lot of goals. I think the issue is the supply he's getting. Once that gets better the goals will come.

This will be the story of season till january.

dominte games, hit the woodwork, fail to take our chances, be punished, lose or draw after coming from behind.this is what happens when you dont buy a goalscorer

If FSG would not invest (in Sturridge) in the summer, what will be different in the winter window?

Might not things be worse? If FSG see little prospect of a CL finish, might that not actually discourage, rather than encourage, them to invest?