You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hillsborough "The Search For Truth" 10.25pm

SCOUSE TAPAS

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, through all of this, Duckinfield and 'opening the gate' are all too easy scapegoats.

Clearly he wasn't competent. He tried to fix a problem, and created a new one (in opening the gates), but the failings happened before that and after that too.

I'm not saying he's blameless by any means, just that in some small sense, he was caught up on the machinery too. There were others there that day who knew the correct actions to take and failed to help him. And then the scheming to blame the fans... a police force out of control / couldn't see the abhorrence of its actions...

SWFC and the SCC too. For them, either the police or fans to blame was a good outcome, since it diverted attention from them.

The police HAD (in this instance, to their credit) expressed concerns about safety in the past. SWFC opted to take a 'flexible' approach to the Green Code (which was a guideline not a rule).

SCC 'were busy, and operating under budget restraints' - so didn't get around to their Safety Certificate work as they ought to have.

Neither SWFC or SCC were necessarily ill-intentioned bodies... they were just complacent. But their complacency created the stage for Duckinfield's incredulous performance.

Duckinfield is starting to look more and more like an incompetent buffoon who was in situ as a result of far greater incompetence and complacency from others.

And even today, I suspect those who fear they might be caught up in the ever widening web of culpability, will be employing the same counter measures yet again.... attempting to divert blame onto others to save their skins.

Even before the letters of apology from certain bodies appeared, I'm damn sure they wrote letters to their legal representatives first. The same old priorities eh?

Today? they'll be in meetings with their insurers and legal teams. They won't be saying "we think our stadiums are safe, but how could we make them safer?"

Everything's changed in football over the last 23 years. And yet, nothing really has.

Some good points in there.

Any chance that manure fans will stop their obscene chanting about the 96 now? Not a hope in hell methinks. Tribal hatred makes despicable wankers out of already-confirmed nobheads.

Of course, we could lead by example and stop that stupid Munich chant.....

Not likely, I nearly got my head kicked in for not joining in with some "Urchins" in Ned Kellys for at first not joining in and then when pushed to find out why telling them what I thought of that chant, though I did hold back on saying what I thought of the people that sang it which is probably why I was able to walk out of there.

Exactly.

The only 'behaviour' of the crowd was actually to fucking turn up for a game of football.

Indeed. And so what if they were drunk. Football fans always turn up for games pissed off their rocker. That's hardly the issue.

Testing 10 year old boys for their blood alcohol levels was/is a new low and something deeply worrying for a so-called developed democracy.

more tory cunts crawling out of the woodwork to offer their 'profound apologies' now...

even boris johnson has just released one

And rightfully so.

Boris Johnson today said he was “very, very sorry” for comments made in a 2004 Spectator article about Liverpool fans involved in the Hillsborough disaster.

Speaking in central London, the capital's mayor said: "I'm very, very glad that this report does lay to rest the false allegation that was made at the time about the behaviour of those fans.

"I was very, very sorry in 2004 that the Spectator did carry an editorial that partially repeated those allegations, I apologised then and I apologise now.

"I do hope the families of the 96 victims will take some comfort from this report and that they can reach some sort of closure."

Mr Johnson went on: "I'm glad that this independent report has finally nailed the myth that drunken fans were in any way responsible for the deaths of 96 people.

"That was a lie that unfortunately and very, very regrettably got picked up in a leader in the Spectator in 2004, which I was then editing.

"I went to Liverpool to apologise unreservedly for that mistake and I repeat that apology today."

Fair play to the press today - for once - wiith all but one of them featuring this massively on their front pages. Fuck the sun,not interested in what they have to say but the coverage is absolutely massive so hats off to the rest of them apart from the Telegraph who resigned the story to their sports supplement which is pretty ridiculous.

more tory cunts crawling out of the woodwork to offer their 'profound apologies' now...

even boris johnson has just released one

Fuck him too.

I hope these apologies go some small way to helping the families but we as fans are under no obligation to acknowledge or accept these apologies.

This information has been available for 23 years and these cunts would rather repeat and perputuate evil lies for financial, political and personal gain than accept the truth.

Any chance that manure fans will stop their obscene chanting about the 96 now? Not a hope in hell methinks. Tribal hatred makes despicable wankers out of already-confirmed nobheads.

Of course, we could lead by example and stop that stupid Munich chant.....

Oh, haven't you heard? 'Always the victim, it's never your fault' is in relation to the Suarez case. Nowt to do with Hillsborough, that. No siree. Lighten up! Just 'banter'! Where's the famous scouse wit?

Funny how when the Villa fans (I think) last year started chanting for the 96 at Old Trafford, the whole stadium en masse broke into that chant in response.

Tell me the last time you heard Anfield chant in the majority about Munich?

The amount of slimey cunts crawling out of the woodwork to offer their 'apology' is fucking sickening. In my eyes each and every one of them knew the truth deep down but chose to ignore it and do nothing about it.

And yet one bunch of slimey cunts (the FA) have yet to offer any sort of a proper apology.

For Cameron, Johnson and especially McK**zie to issue apologies for a cause which is now fashionable and get in on the mood of a nation (well, the majority) whilst it just happes to keep them in the press for the likes of Johnson, at his popularity peak, is one hundred percent insincere vile self promoting sick pr dog diarrhoeal arse disease.

If you have ever seen anyone being told to apologise on The Thick of It, it might just come close to exposing these sneering propagation merchants motives, but without the humour and with a lot more crass entirely disinterested in anything other than the subhuman evil parasites career prospects.

they have proven whet they are when it mattered and any bridges should have been burned a long time ago.

And rightfully so.

i think the tories have got off lightly (so far) with this.

as far as i'm concerned, they were complicite in their actions with the south yorkshire police and, as a party, they're distancing themselves as far away from the fall out and repercussions as they possibly can from now on in

the big, daft, stuttering fucker can go fuck himself for all i care

For Cameron, Johnson and especially McK**zie to issue apologies for a cause which is now fashionable and get in on the mood of a nation (well, the majority) whilst it just happes to keep them in the press for the likes of Johnson, at his popularity peak, is one hundred percent insincere vile self promoting sick pr dog diarrhoeal arse disease.

If you have ever seen anyone being told to apologise on The Thick of It, it might just come close to exposing these sneering propagation merchants motives, but without the humour and with a lot more crass entirely disinterested in anything other than the subhuman evil parasites career prospects.

they have proven whet they are when it mattered and any bridges should have been burned a long time ago.

As much as I dislike the man, you're being unfair on Cameron there. It's his duty to apologise on behalf of the state, and he did so in a sincere, honest way. You're probably spot on about the other two.

(Bettison )

But he added: “Fans behaviour, to the extent that it was relevant at all, made the job of the police, in the crush outside Leppings Lane turnstiles, harder than it needed to be.

“But it didn’t cause the disaster any more than the sunny day that encouraged people to linger outside the stadium as kick off approached.”

By his logic the police can be excused in incompetently causing mass death if it's sunny.

I had a chat yesterday with a mate of mine, who I've known for about 15 years, and it was only then did he reveal to me that he was in the central pen. He hasn't spoken about it for years, and just broke down in tears when he recalled what happened.

Lets hope now that justice prevails.

Andy Burnham has been absolutely superb throughout all of this, in fact I'd go as far as saying he's been instrumental in the families getting the truth they deserved. Anyone who belittles his contribution and accuses him of jumping on the bandwagon is an utter prick.

If it wasnt for Burnham then what happend yesterday would not of happend.

He has been instrumental in getting things done over hillsborough.

If it wasnt for Burnham then what happend yesterday would not of happend.

He has been instrumental in getting things done over hillsborough.

The fans that made the message loud and clear to him at the 20th anniversary deserve a pat on the back too.

But as you say fair play to Burnham. He could have easily fucked off after that service and thought, fuck them for giving him that grilling when everyone else in power since that day had failed to act too.

An open letter to Kelvin Mackenzie - Louder Than War

Dear Mr. Mackenzie,

I realise this may be an awkward time for you to receive this letter, with having to apologise in public (and you don’t look like the sort of person that comes easily to) but I had to send it anyway.

I’m writing to you to ask you to retire from your pundit role on the BBC. Apologies are a good start but sometimes words need to be backed up with action. I realise that BBC need some sort of right wing bogey man to wind up the liberals, after all it’s all for the sake of democracy and balance and all those sort of things. You need both side of the debate and argument but you don’t even represent the right wing very well. Sometimes you say stuff that appears to be solely to annoy Guardian readers but then I look into your face and realise that there is not much there apart from a cruelty and a coldness and you actually believe in most of the stuff you have to say.

I know you like to call it ‘common sense’ and ‘speaking the truth’ but those phrases look out of place now after the truth about Hillsborough has come out.

We all make mistakes at our work. God knows the amount of times we have cocked up on this site but it has never been malicious or with intent or with a joyful pleasure in smearing people or kicking them when they are down. I guess it takes all sorts in this game and being cruel seems to bring big rewards in our society, which is quite depressing really.

All this Hillsborough stuff has been pretty grim to hear about. Do you ever think about the victims and the people who were there that day? do you ever think about what they must have felt like afterwards and then they had to put up with media myths about them that mainly came from your paper? Does it make you feel like a job done well? was it ‘common sense or ‘speaking the truth’.

Of course we all knew what you were up to with the Sun all those years ago. It was probably, at best, just some hi jinks in the office and at worst possibly part of a cover up but these were real people that got hurt with that notorious Sun front cover. Normal people from normal walks of life who probably thought they could never get a comeback or a right of reply or anything.

But they did.

This whole affair has been quite inspiring because the families dug in and demanded the truth about their loved ones. And for once they got the truth. The real truth. Not the tabloid truth.

And that’s been the beauty of this whole Justice campaign. The so called powerless dug in and demanded the truth and now they will demand justice and that’s why you have finally got round to saying sorry after not apologising when asked before. I’m not sure if it’s enough now really, the damage has been done and it was bad damage. Hurtful damage.

You can’t go round smearing people like that and expect to be allowed onto Question Time on the BBC and it’s time the BBC realised this as well. Maybe you think you can continue but I think most people are sick of this kind of hypocrisy and it is time for you to retire from your role as a pundit in the media, surely there must be other people on the right who can take on your role.

You have no credibility. People will look at you and think there’s that bloke who used to make stuff up in newspapers and was responsible for the Hillsborough Sun front cover which, not only lost your newspaper masses of sales in Liverpool, has come back to haunt you to the end.

And there’s a sort of justice in that isn’t there…

If you have any dignity left in your soul, just go.