You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does any of these protein supplements actually make much of a difference?

I exercised for years and never got over 11 stone. Had no idea about protein shakes. It was dessicated liver tablets when I was a lad. With protein shakes I put on 2 stone of muscle very easily.

I don't really like creatine because it makes my muscles a bit more rounded, but it does help to finish a set.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does any of these protein supplements actually make much of a difference?

It depends, people think if you drink a couple of these shakes you will turn into Arnie.

Think that to put muscle on you need to lift heavy weight. As much as you can lift to do about 8 reps and no more. Do this in sets of 3 and work every large muscle in your body each week.

While doing this you're tearing your muscle fibres. If you don't then go and eat enough protein and enough calories the weight session you have just done is pointless. You should be aiming to intake a gram of protein for every pound in your body. On top of this you need to be making sure you eat around 3000+ calories a day.

A protein shake isn't some magic ingredient. It's a cheap and easy way of hitting your protein target and calorie target each day.

If you decide to hit these targets and don't push yourself enough in the gym you will just get fat because you will be eating over your maintenance without your body having any use for it. All they are is liquid food.

This is my regime, comments and suggestions are most welcome.

All 10x3 reps

Day 1 Chest and back

Bench Press

Seated row

Incline bench press

Single arm row

Dumbell flyers

Shrugs

Situps

Day 2 Back and legs

Lat's pull downs

Seated leg press

Hyper extensions

Leg curl

Lat's isolation

Leg extension

Lunges/squats

Day 3 Shoulders and arms

Shoulder press

Bicep Curl

Lateral shoulder raise

Tricep pulldown - Straight bar

Single arm row

Hammer curl

Anterior raise

Tricep pulldown - Balls

Forearm curl

Tricep extension (skullcrushers)

Preacher curl

I try to throw two cardio sessions In a week too.

Do you do it in the order you say?

It's the first time I have seen anyone do a chest then back then chest then back routine and the same with the other days. I would do all the chest in one go and then move on to back. Your body only needs a minute or so to recover and then go again in terms of the main muscle you are using.

I reckon you are doing too much back as well.

For the pervs amongst us, this website has some good tips with some rather nice looking ladies. They work on the basis of having high intensity workouts. All workouts are free too.

BODYROCK.tv | Fitness Advice, Workout Videos, Health & Fitness | Bodyrock.tv

Now some pics

S6-FB.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

A22-BR5x4.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

July5-BR1.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

June21_BR_5x4.jpg&w=594&h=412&c=1&q=100

The original presenter was a cutie too, she does her own videos on youtube as Zuzana Light

__ZT.jpg

Do you do it in the order you say?

It's the first time I have seen anyone do a chest then back then chest then back routine and the same with the other days. I would do all the chest in one go and then move on to back. Your body only needs a minute or so to recover and then go again in terms of the main muscle you are using.

I reckon you are doing too much back as well.

I do it in that order as in a set of bench press then a set of seated row then back onto the bench press etc repeated three times, the idea being that I'm working opposite groups so don't need the rest period and can get more in.

Do you reckon I should drop the hyperextensions if I'm doing too much back work?

Hate those darn hyperextensions.

Your doing far too much mate. I have spent my whole life working out and always been reasonably in shape. This year at 40 I decided to can it a bit but started 'starting strength'

Never have I been so strong, so big etc. I don't follow it exact but I increase it by at least 1.25kg per lift every week. If I cant I perfect my weight and then move up. Try it. If you need PM'S let me know.

Your doing far too much mate. I have spent my whole life working out and always been reasonably in shape. This year at 40 I decided to can it a bit but started 'starting strength'

Never have I been so strong' date=' so big etc. I don't follow it exact but I increase it by at least 1.25kg per lift every week. If I cant I perfect my weight and then move up. Try it. If you need PM'S let me know.[/quote']

It doesn't feel like I'm doing too much but I really don't know. I'm trying to fit in as much as possible into the shortest space of time due to working and having two young anklebiters.

Stop lifting for hours.

I thought you were ex military.

Squat. Dead, Bench, Press. 3 x per week.

This. Stick to compounds to build strength and size. Training 2 or more muscles in one exercise is way more efficient plus our muscles in everyday situations don't normally work in isolation.

This. Stick to compounds to build strength and size. Training 2 or more muscles in one exercise is way more efficient plus our muscles in everyday situations don't normally work in isolation.

I thought I was doing plenty of compound stuff to be honest.

No dead lift Stouffer and you call yourself a man ?

p.s i think you should drop that whole program of yours and try searching for "dorian yates - blood and guts" on youtube, its a 4 day program and it has worked wonders on me.

No Squats in the "blood and guts" program.

Edited by Funkasy

If you are serious about lifting... You must do squats (CORRECTLY! Almost everyone does them VERY WRONG), you need to deadlift, you need to do pullups, shoulder presses, and bench pressing.

That covers the PUSH/PULL of every major direction. If you stick to those exercises then you'll do well. If you skip those? Fucking hell... you're just exercising then.

If you're an athlete? Make sure to do 'contact' lifts where you're bashing yourself with weights, like a variant of the clean.

p.s i think you should drop that whole program of yours and try searching for "dorian yates - blood and guts" on youtube, its a 4 day program and it has worked wonders on me.

Just watched that. I think he's my new hero. He's the kinda guy who you just wouldn't ever argue with!

Gonna give them a go next time

Cheers

Advice from resident experts required. I'm about 6 foot nothing, and my weight is always somewhere between 12 and half and 13 stone. Guess I'm probably not all that overweight, but I'm incredibly unfit. Wouldn't mind getting down to about 11 and a half stone, but far more importantly I'd just like to be able run more that 200 yards without having a fit, and also wouldn't mind looking a bit leaner. Not interested in having enormous biceps etc.

What sort of stuff should I deffo be doing, and avoiding? Doubt I'll go the gym, so looking at what sort of exercises I should be doing that doesn't involve any equipment (sit ups, pressups etc), and also most efficient method of cardio (cycling? running? swimming?).

Massive novice when it comes to this sort of stuff, apologies.