You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think FSG want to sell LFC?

Nathanzx

Are FSG in it for the long term?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Are FSG in it for the long term?

• Yes - they'll be here for years and years
    • No - they'll sell as soon as they get a decent offer and get our books in order
    • I don't know but I am still behind them
    • I don't know but I don't trust them anymore

taken from elsewhere

"I'd say in terms of being streamlined as a club we're a supercar of the automotive world. Young vibrant manager, young squad, low wage bill, new revenue streams, bigger TV deals etc. We've been turned from a loss making club into a finely tuned financial machine which will start turning good profits even without CL money. I commend FSG on many of the things they've done but from our current position some foresight is needed into what happens next. By all means clear the decks in the way that has happened but for god sake start the building process.

We need investment now, not in three years time when the club has the money in the bank. I do worry that when guys like FSG trim a company in the way they've done with us surely it's usually for flip and sale purposes? If you're in it for the long haul I fail to see how guys as smart as them don't give more money to the new manager knowing it's a future investment. Naive in soccer terms they may be but not in sporting/investment terms. They know how the level of the wage bill impacts directly on a clubs performance. They know Brendan needed more money than he got this summer. They know our squad isn't big enough. Yet even though they know all this they left our manager hanging.

During the Comolli nonsense I was happy to believe they were navive at worst, or at best incompetent but with good intentions. Now I just worry about what motivates them. Am I really going to believe that guys as smart as John Henry and Tom Werner just keep messing up with good intentions?"

so no firm commitment on stadium and no real investment in the squad despite an early splurge to win the favs over - that was mainly funded by sales

are thes guys in it for the long term?

Despite their spin and pr I am unsure.

The signs currently point to them not wanting to invest in the club, yes we are in good financial shape but in terms of the football team itself rather than the accounting ledgers we look very shoddy and lightweight.

Guest davelfc
taken from elsewhere

"I'd say in terms of being streamlined as a club we're a supercar of the automotive world. .

Homer.jpg

They're preparing us for sale, it's as clear as it can be. It's just going be be another groundhog day though as any new owners will just squeeze what they can out of us. At least the lot we have are not crooks, we should be grateful of that.

I think they will sell as soon as they get a decent offer. They are investors ultimately despite what the PR might say and they bought us ultimately to make money at some point. It's almost certain that when the time comes the next person in will want to do the same.

Much more than FSG's failings currently that's our biggest risk as who knows how the next people through the door will want to make that money. We could be faced with anything.

I'd class FSG as middle of the road owners. They won't bankrupt us but we won't win anything with them either. Any extreme is possible with someone new.

I think if they could, they would... but they'd want to do so without losing a fortune, and without losing face.

I don't think they are actively looking (that would be more wasted effort).

It seems the barriers to Liverpool's success are multiple, and the succession of owners has only caused the issues to become exposed to a wider public.

It's not a matter of Liverpool being bigger or more famous than most other clubs in Europe, it's not a matter of heritage.... it's a simple question of potential, and the potential of Liverpool looks to be severely hindered (stadium / location, financial competitiveness, fan and media expectation, current economics etc). All of those issues can be overcome, but most likely at too greater cost.

It may well be that the mantra of "putting Liverpool back where they belong" will change to "preserving the dignity of this fine club".

They are not looking to sell any time soon.

This summer was just the start of a long job for them. Next summer will be very similar in my opinion. Out will go the likes of Carragher and Joe Cole, possibly even Gerrard, in will come two maybe three players young players with 'resale value'

Will Suarez stick around? He seems very committed so far, but I'd understand if he wants to move to a Champions League club next summer. Agger will surely go too, unless he signs a new contract shortly.

They will not build a new stadium unless they can find a huge sponsorship deal. They will not look to redevelop Anfield either just yet, It's certainly not a priority for them.

FSG will be here to see how FFP plays out, This is their great white hope. If City fail to comply, as it is looking more and more likely, then they will find themselves banned from Europe. Which could mean we will get back in, as long as we can get back above Spurs and Newcastle.

I would have said no until the transfer window.......echo's of Hick's and Gillett's last year or so at the club with Werner quoted telling the world we can compete financially with anyone, then the club slashes the wage bill, decimates the squad and leaves the manager firmly in the shit.

They are not looking to sell any time soon.

This summer was just the start of a long job for them. Next summer will be very similar in my opinion. Out will go the likes of Carragher and Joe Cole, possibly even Gerrard, in will come two maybe three players young players with 'resale value'

Will Suarez stick around? He seems very committed so far, but I'd understand if he wants to move to a Champions League club next summer. Agger will surely go too, unless he signs a new contract shortly.

They will not build a new stadium unless they can find a huge sponsorship deal. They will not look to redevelop Anfield either just yet, It's certainly not a priority for them.

FSG will be here to see how FFP plays out, This is their great white hope. If City fail to comply, as it is looking more and more likely, then they will find themselves banned from Europe. Which could mean we will get back in, as long as we can get back above Spurs and Newcastle.

You keep on smoking the good shit, MegadriveMan.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

I'm not sure what their intentions are, but i'm pretty sure that if an offer came in that made FSG a quick £50m profit from, they would take it straight away.

Guest San Don

No I dont think they are looking to sell. But, if the club doesnt climb back to 4th, 5th or 6th and looks like it will need massive investment, then that's a different situation imo.

If FFP isn't implemented properly, and things carry on as they are, they've got two options. First would be to start throwing more money at the club, buying (or at least trying) top players. Second would be to sell the club to the highest bidder. As Henry has already stated he isn't prepared to throw money at the club, I'd say they'll look to sell us as soon as they realise that FFP isn't going to happen.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'd have made a lot of the same choices they have, but it comes down to one simple thing: Can they get this club and the team fighting for major honours every season. Without being a billionaire's plaything, we're going to have to be patient. If they can do it, they should stay. If they can't, they should sell to somebody who can.

I'd have cut the wage bill for two reasons. Firstly, to raise transfer funds in the short term, over the next season or two. Also, having shit players earning a 100k per week is an opportunity wasted. It's one of the reasons why we are where we are. It's one of the things holding us back from self-sustainability.

If they're not willing to do it out of their own pocket, and they've always maintained that they're not, then this is how they'll have to do it. Some people clearly don't have a basic grasp on business. I read in another thread a couple of things which alerted me to the idiocy of our own fans. We had one saying we'd only had a 'net spend' of a few million because of the wages 'we saved'. Talk about hard of thinking.

Then we had somebody else saying how they're cutting the wage bill to earn themselves money. There's a basic lack of understanding of how a business operated and how an owner can make money from it. There's also a lack of understanding around how much money they'd have to make for it to be worthwhile.

from elsewhere

" Last Jan we had to wait and see if them not backing Kenny was right, then wait and see if sacking him was right, wait and see what world class manager they had lined up. Oh right there was no manager lined up but let's wait and see what they're recruitment process brings, oh its BR but let's wait and see how he fits with the structure they've outlined with a DoF, oh right no more DoF, let's wait and see how they back their man who they wanted so much they dropped the structure that stopped them looking at Rafa and co. You can't judge transfer window until its close let's wait and see how we look in Sept, oh short of numbers and goals, oh well let's wait and see how we go until Jan......"

They are businessmen. They may not be looking for a sale but if a suitable prospect should come forth then as good businessmen they will look at it.

I think we are going through some necessary housekeeping at the moment. The 'pruning' we are going through makes sense whether they are here for the long haul, or whether they intend to sell. So that's why we can't be sure either way.

Mistakes have been made, the latest of which was to not get a striker in place of Carroll. But I feel that generally they are going about things the right way. They are trying to have us live within our means. They are reducing the wage bill so it is sustainable. They are not getting rid of high wages per se; just people on high wages who are not making a contribution in keeping with their wages. It is still not fully there (Joe Cole I am looking at you!) but it is going the right way.

It is a good strategy, but I feel it needs some sort of catalyst event. If they really are in it for the long haul then I look forward to them making some sort of push to use of the FFP money you are permitted to 'overspend' and back their manager in January to ensure we have a chance to get to the Champions League ASAP.