You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss
He's a very intelligent and succesful person, I'd gathered that. I just wasn't sure what makes him qualified to make footballing decisions such as looking for a new manager. I'd like to see someone with a good track record of making good football decisions on the board personally. Not sure who but someone who has proven they have an eye for a manager that suits the club and team. And someone good at negotiating transfers like Daniel Levy is for Spurs, or the Lyon/Porto board are.

And I think Capello resigned after the FA took the captaincy off Terry without consulting him if I am remembering it correctly.

Resigned then, the point was he wasn't a mistake. He wasn't a horrendous England manager like you said, he was actually quite good.

Levy is the owner and Chairman of Spurs. The owner that has gone through 11 managers (temp and full time) in the 11 years he's been there. He's also been brilliant at negotiating transfers hasn't he? What they seem to do is pay the asking price for players we want but can't afford.

The big question I would ask them that is not included in the letter is the following:

Why back an interim manager (as Kenny was in their eyes) to the hilt with bucket loads of transfer fees and wages but then as soon as their man is appointed they get watery and start holding back?

Aside from being unfair to the fans, it makes no business sense. Bring in your man, then back him to the hilt (or at least as much available resources will sensibly allow), no?

Firstly, lets just clarify exactly how far over the line Commolli put both feet. He was WAY out of line signing off the kind of money he did, and FSG must have been stunned. Personaly, I think they gave him a 'sole charge' role, and he went berserk. It probably was never their intent to 'back the manager' to that degree of financial capital.

Finally, in Brendan Rodgers, they have signed a manager who is willing to work in constraints of frugality for the long haul. Liverpool is deliberately being consigned to mediocrity for a period of years: ideology like reality tv series, and 'global marketing in other areas', 'reducing the very high wage bill' contribute to the overall message we are getting,confirming mediocrity : 'don't expect success on the pitch for some time'; and now the transfer deadline debacle, for me, is confirmation of the 'plan' for a profitable Liverpool, that doesn't hinge on footballing success. I want to be wrong, but my gut feelings are intense.

Since Dalglish failed miserably to part the Red Sea, The Children Of Liverpool will be in the wilderness for many years, suffering their penance.

Makes me laugh that they think the sponsorships and demand will keep rolling in despite our fall down the table and ineveitably the loss of our best players, hailing the fact we have kept hold of a few players while they sit on their hands as some sort of success.

Fucking 'mortgaging the future' by buying a player for £6 million, laughable statement

Firstly, lets just clarify exactly how far over the line Commolli put both feet. He was WAY out of line signing off the kind of money he did, and FSG must have been stunned. Personaly, I think they gave him a 'sole charge' role, and he went berserk. It probably was never their intent to 'back the manager' to that degree of financial capital.

LFC is a £180m a year business. No business puts anyone in sole charge of spending several tens of millions of pounds.

The manager is resoinsible for his wish list. Comolli was responsible for executing it. The MD was/is responsible for ensuring that company money is being spent wisely and consistent with agreed transfer strategy. The owners, signing off the cheques are the last line of defence.If the MD knows little, and the owners nothing, about football, you are in big trouble.

This did not happen while FSG were asleep,they agreed to it.The idea that FSG did not intend to back the manager to the extent they themselves authorised is fanciful.

They trusted KK and Comolli- that trust was misplaced.All managers make mistakes- but Ayre was cowed by Kenny, and Ayre/FSG simply did not know the questions to ask Comolli.

The biggest mistake that FSG made was throwing the £50m Torres windfall back into the pot as self-generated money without having time to consider how it might be best spent. That £60m binge on Carroll ( wages plus fee), spent in less than a day was breathtaking in its recklessness.

LFC is a £180m a year business. No business puts anyone in sole charge of spending several tens of millions of pounds.

The manager is resoinsible for his wish list. Comolli was responsible for executing it. The MD was/is responsible for ensuring that company money is being spent wisely and consistent with agreed transfer strategy. The owners, signing off the cheques are the last line of defence.If the MD knows little, and the owners nothing, about football, you are in big trouble.

This did not happen while FSG were asleep,they agreed to it.The idea that FSG did not intend to back the manager to the extent they themselves authorised is fanciful.

They trusted KK and Comolli- that trust was misplaced.All managers make mistakes- but Ayre was cowed by Kenny, and Ayre/FSG simply did not know the questions to ask Comolli.

The biggest mistake that FSG made was throwing the £50m Torres windfall back into the pot as self-generated money without having time to consider how it might be best spent. That £60m binge on Carroll ( wages plus fee), spent in less than a day was breathtaking in its recklessness.

Yeah, I'm naive when it comes to running a football club, and to a degree, I'm still not wanting to admit KK's culpability.

Still, even if it was sanctioned at the very top, they're now obviously leaning right over to the opposite extreme with the funds management, to the point of setting up the conditions of another failed season, which could potentially, not only be WORSE on the field, in terms of competitiveness, but be massively damaging to the prestige of their investment, becoming irreversible.

Their current policy is reactionary - Henry is almost being childish, in my view - apportioning blame, without consciously dictating play in a responsible manner.

Yeah, I'm naive when it comes to running a football club, and to a degree, I'm still not wanting to admit KK's culpability.

Still, even if it was sanctioned at the very top, they're now obviously leaning right over to the opposite extreme with the funds management, to the point of setting up the conditions of another failed season, which could potentially, not only be WORSE on the field, in terms of competitiveness, but be massively damaging to the prestige of their investment, becoming irreversible.

Their current policy is reactionary - Henry is almost being childish, in my view - apportioning blame, without consciously dictating play in a responsible manner.

First point, could you not be accused of apportioning blame? I have seen loads of fans on this website who have done nothing apart from aportion blame. The only thing that differs is whom we blame.

And regarding KK, sorry but his contribution to last seasons performance was quite significant and he is as much to blame to us finishing 8th. Comoli may well have negotiated the fees, but KK identified the players.

What we potentially have in Rodgers is a manager whose way of managing a club, doesn't necessarily require huge sums (like Chelsea and City) to develop a good team. Like Wenger he has the potential to develop a team, allowing the odd big signing to make a significant difference.

But as say, at the moment it is just potential.

What we potentially have in Rodgers is a manager whose way of managing a club, doesn't necessarily require huge sums (like Chelsea and City) to develop a good team. Like Wenger he has the potential to develop a team, allowing the odd big signing to make a significant difference.

But as say, at the moment it is just potential.

I agree, there is little point now in hand wringing.

Rodgers will need some time, and plenty of luck. I am anticipating poor results against Sunderland and Man U, then a gradual improvement with a kinder fixture list after that as his methods have time to impact.

Frankly, with us baulking ay £6m for Dempsey, the list of alternative managers will have shrunk even further that fancy taking us on.Rodgers it is.

Henry and co were able to read that letter right away, it didn't go to the press first. As for the rest, I wonder a few things but really it appears to me that you have some personal issue with SOS and will try to find a problem no matter what they do.

Have nothing against SOS and they done a good job with the last two.

The problem I have this is totally different scenario compared to that.

This is the crying scouser scenario full blown.

These owners arnt robbing the club or piling on the debt to the club.

There making mistakes and thats it nothing else.

They admit it,so why not try helping them into ironing out the mistakes.

The demanding answers to questions is not the way to d o it.

The going to papers over it is far from a organisation wanting to help and that is what SOS should be doing.

All this is doing is causing a a rift and one that dosent need to be there.

All the letter does is cause a problem with the owners and SOS.

Sorry but causing problems when there is no need to is not useful to anybody.

So when s the first protest happening then next home game then?

The going to papers over it is far from a organisation wanting to help and that is what SOS should be doing.

Couldn't agree more, exactly how I feel about the situation.

Scouse Tapas, I think that you are about right.

I have supported SOS right from the start. They did much good, they made mistakes.

FSG took the sting out of their tail very quickly. Meeting with Shanklyboy and VDM in person very quickly “bought” RAWK, the fan committee neutered SOS. The SOS solicitor’s letter to FSG on arrival was a horrible own goal.

The challenge for SOS is that it needs to be either against something quite a lot (H&G) or for something quite a lot. The majority of our support is not against FSG. The statement alludes to share/fan ownership, but in our darkest hour no money or critical mass formed amongst our support to achieve that. It’s a dead duck, not even Rangers fans could muster it when they went bust. There is no appetite for it.

SOS has no obvious mandate in terms of size of support or majority support for specific actions, and it can never hope to. What it can do is capture the zeitgeist of our support at a particular moment which is what this statement seeks to do.

My view is that we will need SOS in the future, but that this particular statement is just playing to the gallery and getting some publicity. Job done.

Barwick may or may not be the answer, but the way I see it he is a man of gravitas. Part of our problem is that we have nobody who can represent us in the corridors of power at the FA and Premier League. I think this damages us.

I think he could also easily negotiate player contracts and act on behalf of the owners in Liverpool. He could be an ear/sounding board for Rodgers and could also narrow Ian Ayre's focus to things he is able to do well.

Barwick may or may not be the answer, but the way I see it he is a man of gravitas. Part of our problem is that we have nobody who can represent us in the corridors of power at the FA and Premier League. I think this damages us.

I think he could also easily negotiate player contracts and act on behalf of the owners in Liverpool. He could be an ear/sounding board for Rodgers and could also narrow Ian Ayre's focus to things he is able to do well.

Spot on. Put this man in the middle and just let FSG become investors, who through meetings with the middle man set up annual budgets.

As you say much easier to sound board between Rodgers and FSG if this mans in place and Barwick carries the gravitas.

As irrelevant as it is, Capello shouldn't have been forced out for that fucking fraud they appointed.

I'd welcome Barwick, if only because we need to start getting a bit more say at Lancaster Gate. Look at the mancs. Their snake looks to be off to UEFA. Chumminess with the FA - as unedifying as the thought seems - would be helpful.

SOS going about something heavy handed again? what a surpise

i agree that there should be a CEO in charge who has a clue about football and who is a red - but i don't think this letter was the best approach

The way other clubs fans look at us.

Always crying over something when something is either not going our way or how we are always the victims.

By the way I am a plastic scouser in Wallasey.

I couldnt give a fuck how other fans look at us

I find your comments very offensive to be honest

You're a wool from Wallasey you mean not a 'plastic scouser'