You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Board Games

Karl_b

I used to enjoy Monopoly a lot, but on reflection, the game mechanics are pretty horrible. Definitely a game that is showing its age. A good tactic for winning is to exhaust the supply of houses; get 4 houses on your properties but don't upgrade to hotels. That way nobody else can build houses.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I used to enjoy Monopoly a lot, but on reflection, the game mechanics are pretty horrible. Definitely a game that is showing its age. A good tactic for winning is to exhaust the supply of houses; get 4 houses on your properties but don't upgrade to hotels. That way nobody else can build houses.

Just put a hotel upside down and call it a house.  That's what we used to do, and vice versa if you ran out of hotels.

Anyway, this thread has given me the opportunity to brag that I played the missus and the in-laws at scrabble last night and got all my letters down twice, 100 bonus points, completely kicked their arses and pissed them all off.  Marvellous.

• Upvote 1

I dug out my deck of Fantasy Top Trumps which, as any rational person will know, was the zenith of Top Trumps back in the early '90s. You had this deck, you were it.

s-l300.jpg

It's still shit-hot. Though I read that not every deck had the Demon card and if you have the deck with him in it (which mine does) then it's worth about £40-£50. Which is a moot point because I never sell my old stuff.

DSC00854.JPG

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I dug out my deck of Fantasy Top Trumps which, as any rational person will know, was the zenith of Top Trumps back in the early '90s. You had this deck, you were it.

s-l300.jpg

It's still shit-hot. Though I read that not every deck had the Demon card and if you have the deck with him in it (which mine does) then it's worth about £40-£50. Which is a moot point because I never sell my old stuff.

DSC00854.JPG

Loved Top Trumps as a kid. I reckon id still love them now 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Remmie said:

I was given this a few Christmases ago but only got round to playing it on new years eve. 

A bit like cluedo meets monopoly set in the Wild West. Pretty easy to learn and fun, anyone played it? 

pic78819.jpg

No but it looks boss! 

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

What’s it all about? There’s one on eBay with pieces missing for a tenner but then there’s also these packs of cards...

5A2E74B3-8396-4342-BCC0-8BAFB9988EA8.jpeg

Thats them- you have each player from the old first division and (England and Scotland). You get a certain transfer budget and go around the board buying players, picking from the coloured stacks depending on the colour you land on.

I recall Clive Allen at Tottenham was most expensive at £2m.

Barnes was at Watford, Beardsley at Newcastle.

I cant actually remember how you won the game but we played it for hours as kids.

Think my Mrs got it for me on Ebay around 10-12 years ago- full set, great condition     

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

Im digressing I admit, but loved these books when I was a kid-

Image result for fighting fantasy books 1990s

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

Yeah. This series, too.

F0E8E5DC-6F4C-4D2D-A57E-217A1962BF3F.jpeg

Yep, had loads of books from both series, and the Lone Wolf ones too. Absolutely loved them and still have them in the attic.

• Upvote 1