You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Board Games

Karl_b

Hardly, Neko, i'm 43.

i've just not heard of all these Warhammer type things. I know in my school in the late 80's there was a Dungeons and Dragons club where a bunch of spotty, greasy haired nerds used to meet up and talk about Orcs and the like, and i'm pretty sure that was some sort of role playing gaming involved as well, but as i was one of the cool kids i went nowhere near it.  The nearest i got to it was Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's "Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks" - as i tended to (and still do) lose interest if it was over long and/or overcomplicated.

Lo siento - I stand corrected.

Never played board games as a kid though ? 

I still say most people are nostalgic for the simpler times. Board games were ace and still are. 

I remember one where you had to make movies with playing cards of actors and directors and genres, and you made money based on the 'success' of the films. It required investments, planning and strategy.

Monopoly and Risk were okay, but limited. I did also really like the war games that Xerxes mentioned - they were outrageously complex for the times. Axis and Allies is also quite good, and I played that up until I got married and got a life.....sigh.

They can be a good change of pace for a night in with some friends. Drunkenly screaming your way through some improvisational guessing game variant on Pictionary or more strategic stuff if you've got a couple of mates around and have spent the day eating too many burgers and smoked a bit too much in the late day sun to want to head out.

A mate came back from a stint working in Aus with a copy of Settlers of Catan and it is fun (some of these more modern games where you have real choices to make rather than just roll a dice and follow instructions are brilliantly designed and balanced for adults and kids to play) and, although I don't really want to play these things that often, I'm much more open to this stuff nowadays.

I think a lot of people are put off by the memories of games like Monopoly which are essentially designed to be timesinks to distract children for hours on a rainy day.

• 2 months later...

Got Chrononauts a couple of weeks ago - not a bad little time travel game. Drunk purchased Camel Up at the weekend - betting on camel races and building pyramids as far as I can tell. Looking forward to giving it a go.

• 1 year later...

Played the new Conan game last week. Really enjoyed it myself. Will be getting a copy in the next month or so,also grabbing a few copies of Zombicide,z world war.

Looking at the old warhammer quest if i get it for a resonable price

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yes, Tony. That’s part of my collection. 

7FB06617-8463-414B-B70D-2DFF8BB7DACB.jpeg

Also got Scrabble and Game of Life hidden away in the cupboard under the stairs because the boxes are all bashed up. My Frustration, Yahtzee, Jenga and Guess Who are all proper knock off jobs. 

Is the logos one decent? It’s something I’ve thought about getting but am worried it would be too easy. I don’t have kids, so it would just be adults playing.

Just now, Tony Moanero said:

Is the logos one decent? It’s something I’ve thought about getting but am worried it would be too easy. I don’t have kids, so it would just be adults playing.

It’s alright, yeah. Loads of questions about logos and brand slogans from the 80’s in there. I reckon you’d like it. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

My great nan used to love a game of Ludo. She’d always let me have a little sip of her Heineken as a consolation prize after kicking my arse. 

Yeah, used to play Ludo with my Nan. I’d completely forgotten about it. Must have last played it more than 30 years ago!

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2015 at 4:57 AM, Pidge said:

I think a lot of people are put off by the memories of games like Monopoly which are essentially designed to be timesinks to distract children for hours on a rainy day.

This is spot on.

Board games have come absolutely miles from where they were in most of our childhoods. The likes of Monopoly are just dreadful and boring compared to the games that mostly seem to come out of Germany these days.

Get yourself a copy of Dominion or Settlers of Catan and never look at Battleship or Cluedo again. The idea that you can have genuine fun playing board games was a complete eye-opener to me in my 20s but all I had to do was get rid of the old garbage I'd been used to playing as a child.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

This is spot on.

Board games have come absolutely miles from where they were in most of our childhoods. The likes of Monopoly are just dreadful and boring compared to the games that mostly seem to come out of Germany these days.

Get yourself a copy of Dominion or Settlers of Catan and never look at Battleship or Cluedo again. The idea that you can have genuine fun playing board games was a complete eye-opener to me in my 20s but all I had to do was get rid of the old garbage I'd been used to playing as a child.

Cluedo is boss, you baaastard. An absolute classic.

• Upvote 1