You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Board Games

Karl_b

This is a board games collection!

I have all sorts in here, from silly games like Fluxx (simple card game with changing rules) and Flick 'Em Up (a Western themed dexterity game where you flick wooden bullets at each other) to serious heavy, worker-placement games like Russian Railroads (building train lines) and Spirit Island (defend your home from invaders).

I fucking love games, me.

20190108_183114.jpg

• Upvote 7

8 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I dug out my deck of Fantasy Top Trumps which, as any rational person will know, was the zenith of Top Trumps back in the early '90s. You had this deck, you were it.

s-l300.jpg

It's still shit-hot. Though I read that not every deck had the Demon card and if you have the deck with him in it (which mine does) then it's worth about £40-£50. Which is a moot point because I never sell my old stuff.

DSC00854.JPG

Yes, I had these. No I did not have the Demon.  That dragon was the fucker to beat iirc.

Just now, Pidge said:

Yes, I had these. No I did not have the Demon.  That dragon was the fucker to beat iirc.

It's mad because another lad in my school had it and he had the Demon card too. The King is the 2nd best after the Demon, the Dragon can be had on magical power.

Yeah, that's right, I used to be pretty good at working out when someone was rinsing me with it and then I could hit the weakspot and basically clean up from there.

edit: actually no, looks like I had the Dragons and Magical Beasts set instead, like what the cool kids had.

Reusing art, the cheap bastards.

Image result for top trumps Dragons and Magical Beasts

34 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

I have all sorts in here, from silly games like Fluxx (simple card game with changing rules) and Flick 'Em Up (a Western themed dexterity game where you flick wooden bullets at each other) to serious heavy, worker-placement games like Russian Railroads (building train lines) and Spirit Island (defend your home from invaders).

20190108_183114.jpg

Meh. Where’s your Pie Face Showdown?

1 hour ago, Karl_b said:

20190108_183114.jpg

Is Pandemic Legacy everything it's cracked up to be?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RedKnight said:

I dug out my deck of Fantasy Top Trumps which, as any rational person will know, was the zenith of Top Trumps back in the early '90s. You had this deck, you were it.

s-l300.jpg

It's still shit-hot. Though I read that not every deck had the Demon card and if you have the deck with him in it (which mine does) then it's worth about £40-£50. Which is a moot point because I never sell my old stuff.

DSC00854.JPG

Man, I am so jealous that you still have that.

2 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Season 1 is, yes. It's a brilliant communal experience. Season 2 isn't quite up to the same levels but still very enjoyable.

I'm seriously tempted to buy it, even though it's hard to get someone to play it with. My brother is too goddamn lazy to make the time for board games and it's hard to convince my wife to make the headspace for them in her busy life, so that just leaves my 5-year-old son for now. I can have an absolute blast playing King of Tokyo with him by taking out any card that requires reading text and I can even play X-Wing with him if I strip it back to just moving and rolling. Pandemic Legacy is going to be way too much for him, but he's only going to get older, right? Some day...

• 1 year later...
On 09/01/2019 at 10:00, deiseach said:

I'm seriously tempted to buy it, even though it's hard to get someone to play it with. My brother is too goddamn lazy to make the time for board games and it's hard to convince my wife to make the headspace for them in her busy life, so that just leaves my 5-year-old son for now. I can have an absolute blast playing King of Tokyo with him by taking out any card that requires reading text and I can even play X-Wing with him if I strip it back to just moving and rolling. Pandemic Legacy is going to be way too much for him, but he's only going to get older, right? Some day...

What's X Wing like? I've been thinking of getting a copy for myself. I've played Armada with my brother and quite enjoyed that. Rebellion is boss, but it takes about an hour to set up and an hour and a half to put away with three hours of play in between. Since lockdown, the game I've been playing is Imperial Assault, via the app. It's not perfect but is pretty fun.

6 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve got this but have never got round to playing it. Boss box though.

221b-Baker-Street-board-game-box.jpeg

I'm sure I've played this at some point and enjoyed it, but it must have been some time ago. It gets a fairly average rating here- https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1275/221b-baker-street-master-detective-game/ratings - but bear in mind the ratings come from very hardcore players.

I definitely played a computer version of it as a kid- http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-221b-baker-street_17.html- but I'm not sure how it compares to the board game.

Top notch graphics for the time-

On 15/05/2020 at 15:11, Sut said:

What's X Wing like? I've been thinking of getting a copy for myself. I've played Armada with my brother and quite enjoyed that. Rebellion is boss, but it takes about an hour to set up and an hour and a half to put away with three hours of play in between. Since lockdown, the game I've been playing is Imperial Assault, via the app. It's not perfect but is pretty fun.

Within the bounds of playing it with a 5/6-year-old, X-Wing is brilliant. It's easy to set up, particularly if your attitude is 'let's put some ships on opposite sides of the table and throw some dice'. It helps that he's a jammy so-and-so, which means I don't have to go too easy on him to make a 'game' of it. Honestly, the number of times he's rolled exactly what he needed...I hope all his life is like that.

Go For Broke and Monopoly are good. Blockbusters was good but the questions were quite a bit tricky for a 10 year old.

I remember I was once given a board game called Lady Luck as a Christmas present. Can't remember ever playing it. Just Googled it, and this was the box:

09LadyLuck.jpg