You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Board Games

Karl_b

I love board games, me. Unfortunately not many people share my love and rarely do I get to play them. What are everyone's favourites?

I'm a big fan of Monopoly and Risk, we have the Monopoly City which is a bit more complicated than the regular one (it has subways and skyscrapers) which is very good and the LOTR version of Risk which is brilliant - rather obviously you take the role of good or evil and as well as the usual Risk rules you have extra missions and strongholds and the whole game is timed against the journey of the One Ring across Middle Earth. I only have the original game which comes without Gondor and Mordor maps (oddly and frustratingly) but I don't fancy the £100 for the expansion pack.

Fink recommended some German board games a while back but without other people to play them with I haven't bought any, but they look good.

Edit - I really like the look of the Game of Throne board game, anyone played it?

Monopoly sucks.:whistle:

Yeah I do like boardgames, especially the modern ones often called "Eurogames". As you said they pretty much started in Germany with Settlers of Catan, which still is a very good game.

But you may wanna have a look at this:

ATnXloqRfdA&

Here this dude explains why Monopoly really isn't that good and recommends modern games along the way. The channel in general has some nice reviews, mostly among the older videos. For example this which is his, and also happens to be my, favorite game, called "Puerto Rico":

1E1NY3avotc&

Another good game is Glen More, set in Scotland with clans, Loch Ness, whisky and the likes:

s7qcL6kzrSI

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run a wargames club.

It was full of nerds,we had great laughs.

Ran some tournaments down there over weekends aswell.

I'm tempted to get back into it again.

Thinking of starting small with this game(below),played it once or twice before.Real good fun and if you keep up playing campaigns the models get good back stories if you ate into that.

The models get injuries depending on dice rolls/wounds sustained in game and it effects them in future games.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15235/legends-of-the-old-west

• 1 month later...

Sounds a bit beyond my current gaming level that one Kal-El (who did you use to be by the way?).

Really starting to get in to these games now though, I've really enjoyed Carcassone, Dominion, Bang!, Powerboats and Saboteur of those I've played over the past few weeks and bought myself Ticket to Ride: Europe and Tsuro at the weekend. I've even managed to get the missus to play!

I just played in games set up by others,just all of us using both marshalls and outlaws.

I have two of the rulebooks in pdf form if you want them.

They are out of print so i had to download them.I can stick a copy onto a disk if you want.The game was made by gamesworkshop so although the rulebook look big and complicated once you start playing its pretty simple.

Try this website Fantasy Flight Games - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games., it does alot of fantasy based board/card/roleplay games.

The best game i ever played was Warhammer quest,its not in production any more though there is hope that fantasy flight may reprint it soon.If you want the rules i can find them for you but it will take a bit of effort as you will need to print of tiles and back them on card ect.Its not worth the effort unless you have a dedicated group that likes to get togther on a weekly/bi-weekly basis as its roleplay/board game that takes alot of time and needs a Dungeon master to work well.

This looks interesting

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/108665/zpocalypse

• 3 months later...

I love the more 'hardcore' games such as Agricola, Puerto Rico and such like, as our club in Sheffield owns a good few of them and members own most of the others I tend to buy games that are a little less intense and easier for non-gamers to pick u/familyp to play at home with herself and friends. So I've ended up with a sideboard full of games like Ticket to Ride: Europe, , King of Tokyo, Lord of the Rings and Flash point: Fire Rescue which is a really good, family-friendly co-op game for 2-6 players. Settlers of Catan, Carcassone and Dominion are also brilliant, anyone looking to try a new board game would do well to pick up one of those.

I played Ikusa at the weekend which is a Risk like game with feudal Japan as the theme, top way to spend 3 hours before getting your arse whooped and coming, quite comprehensively, last.

• 2 years later...

I'm baffled by this thread, i've only heard of Trivial Pursuit, Cluedo and Monopoly. I'd say i need to get out more, but clearly the opposite is true in this instance. 

Is Mouse Trap a board game? Operation?? 

I'm guessing this is maybe because you're a product of the digital/internet age, TL ?

There was a time before the internet (and computers), when on a cold or wet Sunday afternoon there was nothing better than pulling out a board game to have a bit of fun, kill some time and socialize.

I'm guessing this is maybe because you're a product of the digital/internet age, TL ?

There was a time before the internet (and computers), when on a cold or wet Sunday afternoon there was nothing better than pulling out a board game to have a bit of fun, kill some time and socialize.

Hardly, Neko, i'm 43.

i've just not heard of all these Warhammer type things. I know in my school in the late 80's there was a Dungeons and Dragons club where a bunch of spotty, greasy haired nerds used to meet up and talk about Orcs and the like, and i'm pretty sure that was some sort of role playing gaming involved as well, but as i was one of the cool kids i went nowhere near it.  The nearest i got to it was Ian Livingstone and Steve Jackson's "Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks" - as i tended to (and still do) lose interest if it was over long and/or overcomplicated.

• Upvote 1