You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carroll: The third-choice striker.

WhiskeyJar

I'm sure downing is only about £500,000 per year less than Cole (Cole £90,000 per week and Downing £80,000 per week). Cole was an awful signing but at the time it was one to up-ease the fans.

Carroll, Downing and Adam on the other hand are fucking shocking buys which will cripple and haunt the club for a few years.

I don't know who's to blame for them, be it Dalglish or Comolli but honestly they've fucked the club up good and proper.

Appease the fans?

It was common knowledge that Cole's injury had fucked him and his legs were gone.

I have mixed emotions over Carroll’s departure.

I attach no blame to the individual, he has been a pawn who has done his best.

The first moral of this tale is ;act in haste- repent at leisure. An ill-conceived, ill thought out, poorly managed transfer has come back to haunt us ( not for the first time). Kenny’s time out of the saddle, and Ayre/Comolli/FSG’s inexperience were a lethal cocktail. He was never the eight most valuable player of all time, nor did he need his wages tripling.

The most disturbing aspect of all of this is that we are now weaker, not stronger as a management team. Rodgers is more up to speed, but there is no DOF. The checks and balances are not there.

There was never any secret as to how to get the best out of Carroll, you ping crosses in, or give him long through balls to run onto. In Downing Johnson, Adam and Gerrard we had the players to do just that, why Kenny did not play to his strengths will always be a mystery. If Kenny did not want to play like that, why buy him?

I admire Rodger’s decisiveness in grasping this nettle – I am bemused as to why it has broken the day before transfer deadline day putting us on the back foot ( oh the irony) when it comes to securing a replacement in 24 hours.

The one season loan with no commitment to buy kicks this into the long grass. £4m in wages are saved, which will be a relief to FSG. If Rodgers does not work out ( I think he will), and a manager with a more direct style is brought in next season, he is still on the books.

I think that Carroll will be a success at West Ham, mainly because that is his ideal level. I am sure he will score goals, maybe more than anyone at Anfield, but if we are not prepared to play a direct style, that statistic will be irrelevant.

Not trying t be clever but why did we reject the offer of a commitment to buy from west ham with a 3"million loan fee,and 18 million of they stay up...

and now accept the no commitment offer with1 million loan fee?

Even for Liverpool this stumps me.

Cos with 18+3.we get 21 million (I am cleber boy) so for the clubs worst ever piece of business in the mists of a global financial crisis we waste just the 14 mil. We made that up with the Torres deal on the same day, so can move on , put it down to Romans oil roubles screwing everything up for a while and vow not to act to hastily next time we get a rush of blood.

And never get to deadline day again in desperate need of a striker....

Oh FFS

Edited by Reckoner

Not trying t be clever but why did we reject the offer of a commitment to buy from west ham with a 3"million loan fee,and 18 million of they stay up...

and now accept the no commitment offer with1 million loan fee?

Even for Liverpool this stumps me.

At the time it was reported that Carroll rejected it because he wanted to fight for his place at Liverpool or more likely go to Newcastle. It seems things changed.

Dalglish did NOT sign the checks. Commolli did. Dalglish would have had a longer list, and probably lost out on other signings thanks to Commolli's folly.

As for Carroll, any player that dribbles a ring around John Terry in a Cup Final, before blasting it into the roof of the net, gets my vote as a Centre Forward. Fact is, he started to come right, get his confidence together, and has looked sharp, and keen, and clever this season.

Rodgers just took a massive gamble in loaning Carroll out, and it seems to me, that he (Rodgers) is dictatorial to the extreme, and we will just have to go along for the ride, like it or not.

A club should always have options, but under the new regime, options appear to be optional.

Here we go again.No wonder other fans call us deluded.Kenny was quoted on more than one occasion admitting the signings were his choices.This blind loyalty does Kenny or the club no favours at all.He made several bad,and very costly,signings that we will take a fair while to recover from.Rodgers has very little room to manoeuvre in the Transfer Market because of Kenny's folly.

• Downvote 1

Appease the fans?

It was common knowledge that Cole's injury had fucked him and his legs were gone.

A lot of people were wanking themselves off when Joe signed, and I remember the ovation he got before his first game Vs Arsenal.

My dad was fucking buzzing about him coming, even in his fucking prime he was shit. Plan A - Do a few step overs to fool the defender, and if that doesn't work; try a few more.