You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carroll: The third-choice striker.

WhiskeyJar

Brendan Rodgers has described Andy Carroll as a 'cover player' but says Liverpool are in no position to have a £35million signing as their third-choice striker.

Carroll joined the Reds in a big-money deal from Newcastle 18 months ago but his future has been the subject of intense speculation since Rodgers took charge of the club over the summer after it became clear he did not fit into the manager's preferred playing style.

However, the situation has become complicated as Liverpool want a good price for a player they spent so much on, while Carroll appears keen to stay at Anfield and fight for a place in the team.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player... But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have £35million players as third-choice strikers. "

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers has nothing but praise for the 23-year-old's attitude but believes players who are not part of his plans should be looking to move on in search of more regular football.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player but he's been excellent in his attitude and acceptance of where he is at," Rodgers said.

"But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have £35million players as third-choice strikers, or a winger on £5-6m a year.

"There's still a wee bit of thinking time, and it's hard to walk away from here. The ones who want to play will probably look elsewhere, irrespective of finance, because that's their passion."

Financial repair

Liverpool have been connected with moves for a number of players but Rodgers admits he cannot bring in reinforcements while there are so many fringe men reluctant to leave.

He explained: "The club financially needs repair. So to sign the players linked, unfortunately I don't have the ability to do that - not in this window anyway.

Remote Record

"This is an incredible club and some players, even if you want to move them on, won't walk out.

"I can only ever be straight with players.

"I've made it clear my group will be made up of starting players, cover players who can come in, and development players who can progress.

"If you feature outside of that I will tell you and then it is up to the player what they want - do they want to play football?"

Brendan Rodgers has described Andy Carroll as a 'cover player' but says Liverpool are in no position to have a £35million signing as their third-choice striker.

Carroll joined the Reds in a big-money deal from Newcastle 18 months ago but his future has been the subject of intense speculation since Rodgers took charge of the club over the summer after it became clear he did not fit into the manager's preferred playing style.

However, the situation has become complicated as Liverpool want a good price for a player they spent so much on, while Carroll appears keen to stay at Anfield and fight for a place in the team.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player... But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have £35million players as third-choice strikers. "

Brendan Rodgers

Rodgers has nothing but praise for the 23-year-old's attitude but believes players who are not part of his plans should be looking to move on in search of more regular football.

"You don't need to be a rocket scientist to see Andy's been a cover player but he's been excellent in his attitude and acceptance of where he is at," Rodgers said.

"But, as a club, I'm not sure we are in a position to have £35million players as third-choice strikers, or a winger on £5-6m a year.

"There's still a wee bit of thinking time, and it's hard to walk away from here. The ones who want to play will probably look elsewhere, irrespective of finance, because that's their passion."

Financial repair

Liverpool have been connected with moves for a number of players but Rodgers admits he cannot bring in reinforcements while there are so many fringe men reluctant to leave.

He explained: "The club financially needs repair. So to sign the players linked, unfortunately I don't have the ability to do that - not in this window anyway.

Remote Record

"This is an incredible club and some players, even if you want to move them on, won't walk out.

"I can only ever be straight with players.

"I've made it clear my group will be made up of starting players, cover players who can come in, and development players who can progress.

"If you feature outside of that I will tell you and then it is up to the player what they want - do they want to play football?"

Confirmation that Rodgers thinks what a lot of us do(but few will admit) that Dalglish's dreadful Transfer Strategy has left us in a financal mess, that will take us a year or two to recover from.

• Downvote 1

He's off to WHU on a season long loan. No committment to buy though.

He'll do well there. Good luck Andy! Hope we have someone to come in sharpish. Dempsey deal to go ahead now do you think? We got a young lad from Bayer Leverkusen today as well I think. Anyone know much about him?

I'm sure downing is only about £500,000 per year less than Cole (Cole £90,000 per week and Downing £80,000 per week). Cole was an awful signing but at the time it was one to up-ease the fans.

Carroll, Downing and Adam on the other hand are fucking shocking buys which will cripple and haunt the club for a few years.

I don't know who's to blame for them, be it Dalglish or Comolli but honestly they've fucked the club up good and proper.

Confirmation that Rodgers thinks what a lot of us do(but few will admit) that Dalglish's dreadful Transfer Strategy has left us in a financal mess, that will take us a year or two to recover from.

£79 million pissed away on shite. We'll be feeling it for longer than 2 years.

Dalglish did NOT sign the checks. Commolli did. Dalglish would have had a longer list, and probably lost out on other signings thanks to Commolli's folly.

As for Carroll, any player that dribbles a ring around John Terry in a Cup Final, before blasting it into the roof of the net, gets my vote as a Centre Forward. Fact is, he started to come right, get his confidence together, and has looked sharp, and keen, and clever this season.

Rodgers just took a massive gamble in loaning Carroll out, and it seems to me, that he (Rodgers) is dictatorial to the extreme, and we will just have to go along for the ride, like it or not.

A club should always have options, but under the new regime, options appear to be optional.

He'll do well there. Good luck Andy! Hope we have someone to come in sharpish. Dempsey deal to go ahead now do you think? We got a young lad from Bayer Leverkusen today as well I think. Anyone know much about him?

I'm sure I heard them say on ESPN, that Dempsey's gone to Sunderland.

Dalglish did NOT sign the checks. Commolli did. Dalglish would have had a longer list, and probably lost out on other signings thanks to Commolli's folly.

As for Carroll, any player that dribbles a ring around John Terry in a Cup Final, before blasting it into the roof of the net, gets my vote as a Centre Forward. Fact is, he started to come right, get his confidence together, and has looked sharp, and keen, and clever this season.

Rodgers just took a massive gamble in loaning Carroll out, and it seems to me, that he (Rodgers) is dictatorial to the extreme, and we will just have to go along for the ride, like it or not.

A club should always have options, but under the new regime, options appear to be optional.

No mate he's fucking shit, we all know he's shit. People only back him because we signed him for such a club crippling transfer fee, and feel they have to.

He's never been, and never will be good enough to play for this club - he's a fucking disaster of a footballer and West Ham are about his level.

No mate he's fucking shit, we all know he's shit. People only back him because we signed him for such a club crippling transfer fee, and feel they have to.

He's never been, and never will be good enough to play for this club - he's a fucking disaster of a footballer and West Ham are about his level.

Let's see how our defence copes against Carroll when we play West Ham this season.

Don't see what the boggle is at all. The choice was either keep him here and watch his value plummet further, or give him the chance to rebuild some kind of reputation so we can get some dollar.

Some of the undertones with Carroll backers baffle me, like he's been badly treated or something and that it could be the undoing of Rodgers. Dalglish, the man who bought him, never played him - and these fellas had seen him on the training pitch.

The exact dynamic in our transfer strategy remains a bit of a mystery. You are right to point out that all signings were endorsed by Comolli (and Ayre). However the consequences of fee and wage commitments would ( or should) have been clear to Kenny, even if he did not have the keys to the petty cash.

Carroll, the eighth most expensive player in the history of world football, and in receipt of over £4m a year wages scored six league goals last season. If you think that is balanced out by a goal in a Cup final we lost – your call. I think he was an overpriced, unproven, unsuitable panic buy.

I do not see Rodgers as being dictatorial. I see him as being honest. Carroll has been a very expensive disaster for the club. That was evident to everyone – except Kenny. The club is still bearing the cost, on and off the field, of the Henderson, Adam and Downing buys. Rodgers will need our support in tackling what is going to be a tricky period in our history. He may not get it right, but at least he is acknowledging that something has to be done.

Carroll was on their wish last anyway.The perverse Chelsea money also gave the option for the ammuntion needed for the(injured) striker.All of it stunk,and if FSG had any knowledge of the mechanisms of the modern game,they would have blocked the panic buying by their failed combination of an icon and student,who were both massivley out of their depth.

For an individual(s) to have too much of somebody elses money to spend is, at times,absurd.

Oh, he'll score more than any Liverpool striker this season, barring injury. I'd stake body parts on it.

Let's be honest, West Ham ( just up from the Championship), Sam Allardyce and Hayley Nolan making his tea is a pretty ideal solution for him.

Don`t undrestimate the style of football played in the so called lower echelons.

In a perfect world Nolan and Andy will put a couple past us to ensure their safety and trigger the buy- clause whilst we have fourth safe...............please tell me in which part of cloud cuckoo land I live in ?

I still harbour a hope that Andy proves the doubters wrong. However, I have no confidence it will happen. He reminds me of Tony Hately in his prime - which is not a compliment!

He can change a game and demoralize a defence like he did to the Chavs last season, but mostly he's not good enough to be our Number 9.

I hope he has a great season and we get close to what we paid for him. Some hope!

The club has been so badly run for so many years it doesn't really deserve to be at the top anymore.

The capital that was built up in the 70s and 80s is virtually spent now. We've been living off it for 30 years. If Rodger's doesn't turn this ship around, then we're finished.

Andy Carroll?

Stewart Downing?

Jordan Henderson?

Joe Cole?

It's bordering on criminal the way that revenue, which is ultimately derived from the fans, has been wasted on those individuals. Such profligacy cannot continue forever without dire consequences.