You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So now the focus is on Gerrard leaving......

Duncan Clench

.....am I to take it that Owen is going to stay now?

A lot of people are assuming that the Gerrard deal is done and dusted, but weren't we all talking in the same way about Owen a few months ago? I just get this feeling that all of this is press speculation and perhaps Stevie and the Club don't feel it's worthy of comment. I don't know, I'm ever the optimist, but surely things aren't signed and sealed yet! It seems that the media do the best they can to try and make transfers happen but I'm not convinced that he's going anywhere ....and I'd be made up if he stayed. Too many people are criticising the boy at the moment, he's our best player by a long way....however you choose to look at it. If he does want out, that's up to him....but it would seem like a very silly decision to make at such a young age. He wants to win things here and I think Rafa can persuade him to stay because we will be winning things with him.

Naive? Maybe.

So, anyone know the situation with Owen, or is that not happening now that the newspapers aren't talking about it?

I've said all along that I don't think it is signed and sealed. I think Gerrard has given Benitez a few weeks to see who he buys. Whether he should be allowed to do that is another matter. I would ask him and Owen to commit themselves publicly to the club or leave ASAP.

Maybe you're right Hermes. Is this MO doing Gerrard's talking for him? (I can't believe he'll stay, myself):

Gerrard's exit would be a 'catastrophe' - Owen

Michael Owen has warned Liverpool that it would be "a catastrophe'' if Steven Gerrard leaves the club this summer.

Anfield skipper Gerrard has been linked with a move to mega-rich Chelsea but Owen believes no amount of money could compensate for the loss of his England team-mate.

Owen told the News of the World: "I think it would be impossible to replace Stevie. He is the driving force and such a strong influence on our team.

"Last season he was our player of the year by a country mile and it would seriously weaken the side if he were to leave.

"I am merely echoing what all Liverpool fans would be thinking by describing it as a catastrophe.

"They would expect the club to sign two or three world-class players with any money they received for Stevie and I feel the same.

"But I don't know what the future holds for him. As far as I am concerned it is just newspaper speculation at the moment. I hope that Liverpool would make every possible effort to keep him.''

Owen's own future has also been the subject of much speculation, with the striker still to decide on whether to sign a new contract with Liverpool.

He has welcomed the appointment of former Valencia boss Rafael Benitez as Gerard Houllier's replacement but wants further evidence that the Reds can compete for top honours next season.

"I am not issuing any ultimatums or threats, that is not my style,'' added Owen.

"But I do need to be sure we have a team that can close the gap on the top two clubs. That has been my position all along.

"Myself, Stevie Gerrard, Jamie Carragher and the Liverpool coach Sammy Lee met the new boss in Portugal and were very impressed with what he said.

"He told us the direction he wanted to take the club and the sort of players he wanted to sign. Now we need to see that happen.''

"Over the next few weeks I expect my advisors will come to me with various contract options and we will sit down and consider them."

Bloody hell. Tell him to sign or get out Rafa! Never mind consider other contract options!!!

I'm pretty sure Michael meant contract optoins at Liverpool and didn't mean options with other clubs in that statement.

Reading some of the comments that Michael Owen reportly made in the newspapers and on the official web site about selling Steven Gerrard and the club buying new players, I have to ask a question.

Who the fuck does he think he is?

As far as I am concerned Michael has been hit and miss for quite some time now and while I believe he had little or no support with the crappy style of play over the last couple of seasons I have always felt we were more likely to score when Baros was playing or even Pongolle. He has been far to inconsistant and injury prone for my liking and He's more than welcome to take the high road with Gerrard if he does move to Chelski. Maybe Liverpool should write into his contract that, under no circumstances, is he allowed take penalties!

I dont read anything about Baros crying and saying his new contract will depend on Gerrard and new players being bought and, unlike Owen and Gerrard, he's delivering the goods in Portugal.

Liverpool Forever.

I dont read anything about Baros crying and saying his new contract will depend on Gerrard and new players being bought and, unlike Owen and Gerrard, he's delivering the goods in Portugal.

Liverpool Forever.

That's because, great player he may be, Baros is not a senior memeber of the squad, nor is he our most importnat player and former European player of the year.

If he Michael Owen WASN'T commenting on team matters then I'd be worried! Not the other way around.

He's well earnt any say. But I still agree that he should sign or fuck off asap.

The contracts he mentions are from LFC. One will be an extension to his current one (same wage, same terms etc) the other will be a brand new deal with improved terms but tying him to LFC for at least 4 years.

Why wouldn't he want to weigh up his options?? I don't blame him for that. But it must be done and dusted before pre-season training starts.

Is he our most important player based on recent performance or as a status symbol to the club and fans?

I dont want to sound negative but knowing he's playing does not excite me like it use to. His form has dipped greatly since being named European player of the year.

If scoring a goal more than every other game is player out of form then long may it continue.

At times his confidence may have been low and he may have lost some of his swagger at times, But can you blame him for being a bit down and not ALWAYS being the saviour!? It's almost all down to the way the team has been told to play for the last couple of seasons, it's not down to him.

The old manager refused to play to Owen's strengths most of the time and that left him isolated due to a negative approach and always being camped in our own fucking half. Very much in the same way that Sven has done with England this summer.

Owen will be awesome again under Benitez because, unlike Houllier and that prick Sven, Rafa has the intelligence to realise that you must play to the strengths of your best players.

Guest glen buck

One thing that Michael said that I liked, was the fact that he needed to know we had a squad capable of closing the gap on the top TWO!

That's top 2, NOT top 3!

I'm asuming he's referring to Man U and the Arse.

NOT CHELSEA!!!

Something Steven Gerrard would do well to consider before he fucks off on us.

I agree with Tom that Micheal will improve under Rafa, or rather he will benefit from a changed style of play. No more running on to long balls, or having to drop extremely deep to collect the ball. Hopefully with a more passing orientated and penetrative style of play, Micheal will get more Van Nistelrooy esque chances, and in the box there are few better finishers than Owen. The amount of tap-ins that we score is very low, and hopefully with a new style of play more of these chances will be created - which will result in more goals for Owen.

I also agree the Owen will be awesome under Beni but I'm still worried that his contract still has not been signed and forget about by Pre-season its got to be done 1 week before at the latest because if he starts to feel a bit itchy then we need time to get a new striker in. I also don't think he should make these reported comments about top 2 etc

"But I do need to be sure we have a team that can close the gap on the top two clubs. That has been my position all along.

this should be kept indoors this should be his worry to the board. This can also make him in one instance look as if he thinks he is bigger than the club. I know this is not what he means but I can't help but think that the longer this escapade with Gerrard goes on the longer it will take for Owen to sign his next contract which in turn will mean our great new saviour will probably take longer to buy new players.

Because if or actually when Gerrard signs for Chelsea, Benitez needs to strenghen in the middle if Owen decides he's off then we'll need to buy another striker then right winger etc etc.

I wish this fucking Saga is concluded I cant take it any more!!!!!!!