You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lance Armstrong calls it quits in fight against doping charges

aikido

Winfrey doesn't sound too convinced about the interview. She'd rather not say whether he was contrite, for example. In other words, he wasn't.

I suspect he'll confess to doing what most (or at least many) of his colleagues and competitors were doing at the time, say that he was under a lot of pressure post-illness and in that cycling context. He'll certainly deny that he led a drug programme. They were regretable times, he made some poor decisions, humans - and especially professional sportspeople - are fallible... but now his charity work comes first and he wants to get on with the rest of his life and "give something back", etc.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Code remember when I told you the feds would want their money back?

Well...

U.S. Government Rejects Armstrong's $5 Million Offer In Whisteblower Case | Cyclingnews.com

Report claims Texan's offer to be a witness also knocked back

With news that the United States Justice Department is considering joining a federal whistleblower lawsuit reportedly filed by Floyd Landis, Lance Armstrong is said to have offered to pay compensation in a bid to stem the potential financial fallout that could be coming his way.

CBS News reports that Armstrong has offered to pay the U.S Government more than $5 million dollars and also cooperate as a witness in the investigation. The channel claims that its sources say that the government in turn rejected "both offers as inadequate."

The suit is aimed at recouping the sponsorship funds provided by the US Postal Service, which supported the team from 1996-2004, in light of the US Anti-Doping Agency's lifetime ban of Lance Armstrong for doping.

If the suit is successful, Landis could, under the Federal False Claims Act, personally claim up to 30% of the funds that the government wins.

The US Postal Service contract in 2001 was renewed to the tune of $32 million, according to documents available in the US Anti-Doping Agency’s reasoned decision. The total settlement to the government could, by law, be two to three times that amount.

Edited by L19red

Winfrey doesn't sound too convinced about the interview. She'd rather not say whether he was contrite, for example. In other words, he wasn't.

I suspect he'll confess to doing what most (or at least many) of his colleagues and competitors were doing at the time, say that he was under a lot of pressure post-illness and in that cycling context. He'll certainly deny that he led a drug programme. They were regretable times, he made some poor decisions, humans - and especially professional sportspeople - are fallible... but now his charity work comes first and he wants to get on with the rest of his life and "give something back", etc.

Not much of a surprise there is it. He couldn’t have handpicked a cosier interviewer. Within 30 mins of this she’ll have hugged him at least once and consoled him numerous times while telling him how brave he is. She should be eternally embarrassed by the fact he asked her to be the one he “confessed” to as he knew it’d be an easy ride.

It became obvious to me recently that he wasn’t an especially pleasant man, but as I’ve read more and more of what is alleged, and he’s no longer legally disputing, it is clear that he most probably is the greatest cheat in sports history. Quite remarkable the lengths he seems to have gone to.

I just hope all the other cycling cheats don’t try and act like they were hard done by also. The whole sport has a cancer running through it from top to bottom.

Not much of a surprise there is it. He couldn’t have handpicked a cosier interviewer. Within 30 mins of this she’ll have hugged him at least once and consoled him numerous times while telling him how brave he is. She should be eternally embarrassed by the fact he asked her to be the one he “confessed” to as he knew it’d be an easy ride.

It became obvious to me recently that he wasn’t an especially pleasant man, but as I’ve read more and more of what is alleged, and he’s no longer legally disputing, it is clear that he most probably is the greatest cheat in sports history. Quite remarkable the lengths he seems to have gone to.

I just hope all the other cycling cheats don’t try and act like they were hard done by also. The whole sport has a cancer running through it from top to bottom.

Most of the USPS guys have been accountable for their own actions when giving testimony to USADA in the bits I read from the reasoned decision. Tyler Hamilton in particular has been up front and has said in numberous interviews that it was his decision to dope, he also explained about the culture in the teams he rode for but not in a way that portrayed him as a victim.

I'd love to see Lance's remaining testicle. I have questions like...

Does it grow twice in size to replace the missing testicle?

Does it sometimes 'swim' over to the other side of the sack and have to be pushed back over?

You know when you have a wank sometimes / sex in the cold and the balls 'recede'.. does the single ball get lonely? Pushing the ball down post-coitus can be annoying.

Has he ever considered getting a neuticle? (fake ball to replace the old one)