You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Evening.

Slightly late this, but what the hell.

In his first interview with LFC Oussama Assaidi revealed that he is Muslim, and therefore observing Ramadan.

It made me wonder how Muslim footballers dealt with this.

Leaving aside for a second the religious side of it, I was wondering how an athlete could prepare for a game without eating or drinking. I work with a few Muslims and during Ramadan every year I see how it takes a physical effect on their ability to perform their duties. As I work in a mundane office job, its not too much of a big deal. But as an athlete, it must be a significant burden.

I'm not suggesting for one minute that Muslims should not take part in matches during Ramadan, but I was surprised to learn that Nicholas Anelka and Marouane Chamakh don't observe the strict rules the day before a match.

Are there any Muslims on here that can shed some light on how to prepare for this? Are there any other religious holidays that impact sport?

If they can't observe the fast they can make up for it by feeding sixty people in need. Two meals in a day or something like that. I think that is mainly for those who are sick or pregnant, and I don't really think it's meant for athletes but I guess they aren't too strict about it. I have also heard that some make up by fasting outside the season.

I have close muslim friends and they do say that in certain situations you are exempted from fasting (eg really important events in your life including sport - world cup semis, final). However, most athletes adhere to the fasting rules and those that choose to play do so at their own discretion, although it is a significant tax on your body.

It's not as big of a deal as it sounds (in terms of sports not religion), it's essentially an intermittent fast on a daily basis. Basically, wake-up before sunrise eat (if you feel the need to) definitely drink copious amounts of water (for a sportsmen, people without a high activity level could go without a lot of water until nighttime when the fasting of the day is done), go through the day, eat dinner and drink more water, do whatever, sleep, and repeat.

Obviously they can drink whatever they want when not fasting but water is essential for all of us and more so for highly-active people especially if you live in a place where it's hot during this month.

For example I fast intermittently just about everyday, not just during this month (I'm not a Muslim), because I choose to. I don't usually eat anything until anywhere from 3 to 6 pm and sometimes later on a regular basis. I do this even when I'm maintaining a workout (most likely nowhere near a premiership quality workout but a workout nonetheless) routine. Never had any complications arise from it, and in fact I started it my senior year in High School during two-a-days for american football. I DO however drink water throughout the day, whereas Muslim's observing Ramadan do not.

Guest ShoePiss
It's not as big of a deal as it sounds (in terms of sports not religion), it's essentially an intermittent fast on a daily basis. Basically, wake-up before sunrise eat (if you feel the need to) definitely drink copious amounts of water (for a sportsmen, people without a high activity level could go without a lot of water until nighttime when the fasting of the day is done), go through the day, eat dinner and drink more water, do whatever, sleep, and repeat.

Obviously they can drink whatever they want when not fasting but water is essential for all of us and more so for highly-active people especially if you live in a place where it's hot during this month.

For example I fast intermittently just about everyday, not just during this month (I'm not a Muslim), because I choose to. I don't usually eat anything until anywhere from 3 to 6 pm and sometimes later on a regular basis. I do this even when I'm maintaining a workout (most likely nowhere near a premiership quality workout but a workout nonetheless) routine. Never had any complications arise from it, and in fact I started it my senior year in High School during two-a-days for american football. I DO however drink water throughout the day, whereas Muslim's observing Ramadan do not.

Why do you choose to starve yourself everyday?

Why do you choose to starve yourself everyday?

I don't see it or feel it as starvation. I just prefer not to eat in the mornings and then I get hungry generally at sometime between the times mentioned. The exceptions being after a night that's a bit heavy on the sauce. I pretty much just eat one main meal a day maybe have something small before then right around 3 pm my time.

I find it quite easy to function on an empty stomach, also don't get sick as much though I'm not sure that's related. Obviously if I have to take a medicine or when I would take some supplement combination that I couldn't hold down without eating I'd have a small portion of eggs in the morning but without those I find that all I need is some water and maybe some coffee to start the day.

@ Horus - Why the name if you don't believe in "fairytales and magic"?

I remember reading an article a while back (can't remember when or where) about Ali Al-Habsi, where he talked about how he was settling in England (think he was still at Bolton at the time) and how his Muslim faith and Ramadan impacted upon his professional career. Not even being able to take on liquids during the hours of fasting - which can be around 20 hours a day in the UK! - made training and playing very very difficult for him. I also remember Momo Sissoko mentioning it during his time at Liverpool. I'm not 100% sure about this, but in Arab and Islamic countries they schedule the football season to avoid clashing with Eid and Ramadan as much as possible which is tricky for scheduling because the dates vary year on year.

Back in 2008:

Juventus midfielder Momo Sissoko has revealed that it is difficult to find is giving his best on the pitch during Ramadan. The Mali international is a practicing Muslim and it is forbidden to eat during daylight hours during the month of September.

Sissoko admits that it is difficult to balance their religious beliefs with his profession while he was at Liverpool and feels as Juve has also been affected. "It's a shame because I know that it is not customary to give my contribution against Cagliari and I was very tired," Sissoko told La Gazzetta dello Sport.

"Everybody is different. Last year we had just recovered from meningitis and ankle injuries which could not observe Ramadan. But Ramadan is a duty and not a form of torture, Italy is a multicultural society and it is good that everyone is welcome."

Momo used to fast during Ramadan I remember.

Yup, with a concurrent slump in performances I seem to recall.

Still, so long as his fictional deity is happy.

I wonder if any football club would tolerate a player getting rat arsed in honour of their God, George Best?

It's a good job I'm not muslim. With the midnight Sun in the sky for months I'd starve to death.

And think about all the lovely pork you couldn't eat. That is the most mental thing about muslims and jews. I bet you could solve the whole Israel/Palestine conflict over bacon, ham and cheese sandwiches and a nice pork roast.

Guest ShoePiss
And think about all the lovely pork you couldn't eat. That is the most mental thing about muslims and jews. I bet you could solve the whole Israel/Palestine conflict over bacon, ham and cheese sandwiches and a nice pork roast.

Exactly, if starving yourself wasn't crazy enough never eating any part of that fine animal is.