You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Would you like to see Adam Johnson at Liverpool?

WhiskeyJar

Would you like to see Adam Johnson at Liverpool?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see Adam Johnson at Liverpool?

• Yes, another pacey winger is what we need...
    • No, we have other positions that need to be addressed
    • Not sure

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How the fuck has his value risen at least £2m with 39 starts in two and a half years?

It's madness

If it was us in this situation he would be leaving for around the £5 Million mark.

Look at Adam I'm not saying he is worth it but why should we sell him for less than we bought him if City are making a profit on Johnson

Not sure I entirely agree about the benchwarmer stuff...

I think there's a higher CHANCE you'll end up a benchwarmer if you don't perform. If you do perform, you'll get games.

The converse could be said of many other clubs - where if you're not performing you'll still get a game!

Which is the better?

I think Johnson had a chance to shine... didn't really take it... so someone else is getting a go.

Of course, the money aspect doesn't help... where a player might actually be happy to sit on a bench. But that's down to the player's own attitude and not his ability.

I genuinely think IF you have the chance to play in a top team, you have to give it a go... rather than spend the rest of your life wondering how much further you could have gone. And if you're good enough, you'll get games. There's usually a reason your arse is on the bench, and that's because someone better is on the field.

leaving aside my own opinion that he's rubbish, let's look at this sensibly.

the arabs pay £8 million for him. he can't get a game for them, so 2 years later they decide to make a £2 million profit by off-loading him to us. where is the evidence that he's improved in this time?

let's not forget that he was kept out of the english euro squad by downing!

if we do get him, where is he going to play in a 4-3-3?

he's downing mark 2.

let's swerve this.

we've signed enough overpriced, overrated british rubbish in the last couple of years, because they're used to playing in this country. yes, and most of them are used to losng in this country as well.

there are better players at better value.

This court requests that a Mr A Code of Helsingbore, produce a detailed Minutes on pitch/ Goals/Assists/ dossier by lunch tomorrow.

Adjourned.

I only suggest this, as it is very much my IMPRESSION that he does well when he does get a sniff for city.

Whatever the stats, spending ten million on him is as nothing, compared to the utter profligacy on Downing.

If Rodgers wanted to try Sterling as a wing option first, i could live with not signing him, but there's precious little evidence to suggest that he will.

How many highlights players do we currently have btw?

By this i mean attackers not defenders obviously.

I'd rather we loaned him, but for £10m he wouldn't be as abysmal a signing as the vast majority of others we've made in the last few years. Anything that prevents Downing getting on the pitch has to be a bonus. But then Sterling could do that. Or Suso. Infact, Gerrard should be playing there really.

A striker is more of a priority, but we need both. Probably two of each actually. Would have been better if they been signed before the season had started.

Not sure I entirely agree about the benchwarmer stuff...

If you think Sinclair will start for you, or Moses for Chelsea, then I am more then happy to disagree but let's re-address this thread at the end of the season.

As a player, you'd think they'd want to play, but they (Moses and Sinclair) seemingly care more about money and status. Sure they should back themselves but they should know what they are up against. Badly advised in my view.

I'd rather we loaned him, but for £10m he wouldn't be as abysmal a signing as the vast majority of others we've made in the last few years. Anything that prevents Downing getting on the pitch has to be a bonus. But then Sterling could do that. Or Suso. Infact, Gerrard should be playing there really.

A striker is more of a priority, but we need both. Probably two of each actually. Would have been better if they been signed before the season had started.

I 100% agree.

But there's no sign yet that Rodgers will try it.

So, given that Johnsons arrival would basically mean we are playing with 11 blokes on the pitch again, i would welcome it.

On loan, even better.

Adam Johnson Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPNFC

Having graduated through the ranks at Middlesbrough, this gifted winger attracted the interest of Manchester City in January 2010 and he made the move to Eastlands for a fee of around £8 million.

After increasing involvement in the Boro first team during the 2005-06 season, Johnson was rewarded with an improved four-year in the summer of 2006 but struggled to establish himself in the side during the 2006-07 season.

Johnson subsequently went out on loan to Leeds United and Watford but, when he was offered the chance to go on loan to Rangers in the summer of 2008, he chose to stay on. Fighting his way into the first-team, Johnson began to make an impact in 2008-09 and capitalised on the injury to first-choice winger Stewart Downing.

With Downing sold, and Boro relegated, Johnson took his chance in the Championship and impressed further at the start of the 2009-10 season - enough to attract interest from the Premier League's elite.

He rejected a move to hometown club Sunderland in January to join City and compete for his place, and the decision was swiftly justified as he put in a string of impressive performances, earning praise from Roberto Mancini and Fabio Capello in the process.

Strengths: A creative player of great natural ability, Johnson is at his best when running at defenders down the flanks and he can also provide an end product.

Weaknesses: Slightly lightweight, and he would benefit from becoming more two-footed.

Career High: His superb last-gasp goal against Sunderland in March 2010 rescued a point for Manchester City and brought him plenty of praise.

Career Low: Having forced his way into Fabio Capello's initial 30-man England squad for the 2010 World Cup, he admits he was "absolutely devastated" to miss the final cut.

Style: A left-footed winger who models himself on Lionel Messi, Johnson has great technique and can unlock defences.

If you think Sinclair will start for you, or Moses for Chelsea, then I am more then happy to disagree but let's re-address this thread at the end of the season.

As a player, you'd think they'd want to play, but they (Moses and Sinclair) seemingly care more about money and status. Sure they should back themselves but they should know what they are up against. Badly advised in my view.

I'm not saying they will or won't be benchwarmers... I'm saying this:

Top Club: Look lad, we think you've got potential... fancy your chances?

Player: Yeah, I do... I like where I am, but I want to play for England / win things / be a better player (and earn more)

Top Club: You'll have to fight for a place... we need to rotate, and only the very best players get regular starts

Player: I know, but I reckon I'm good enough, I just need the chance to prove it.

Top Club: OK, deal.

It's that simple. IF they set the world alight, they WILL be playing regularly. Otherwise, they'll end up on the bench, or moved on. It's the gamble they have to take isn't it? Of course, they could just say "no I'm staying where I am, I know my limits"

Aldridge and Barnes came to Liverpool and shone.

Adam and Downing came... and didn't shine.

I think it's always been that way in football really, hasn't it?

The only way these players can ever reach the very top is by moving to a better team with better players and seeing if they step up to the plate or not. That's how a professional's career works... just a lot never quite make it at the top level and a handful do.

I'm not at all sure about this. Even if his attitude was spot on, and I'm to be convinced that it is, he would need to respond to a lot of coaching in order to turn him into a genuinely valuable player for us in Rodgers' preferred set up. I'm not convinced he's clever enough to do that, even if he wanted to. Tracking back, intelligent positioning, and developing a 'short game'? It could take 2 or 3 years of frustrating performances and negative impact on the team before we see any consistent benefits.

I'm not saying they will or won't be benchwarmers... I'm saying this:

Top Club: Look lad, we think you've got potential... fancy your chances?

Player: Yeah, I do... I like where I am, but I want to play for England / win things / be a better player (and earn more)

Top Club: You'll have to fight for a place... we need to rotate, and only the very best players get regular starts

Player: I know, but I reckon I'm good enough, I just need the chance to prove it.

Top Club: OK, deal.

Sinclair and Moses will go the same way as Adam Johnson and Scott Parker, FC. Bank on it.

Good players, both, but not good enough to break into City and Chelsea sides already overloaded with quality players.

I'm not at all sure about this. Even if his attitude was spot on, and I'm to be convinced that it is, he would need to respond to a lot of coaching in order to turn him into a genuinely valuable player for us in Rodgers' preferred set up. I'm not convinced he's clever enough to do that, even if he wanted to. Tracking back, intelligent positioning, and developing a 'short game'? It could take 2 or 3 years of frustrating performances and negative impact on the team before we see any consistent benefits.

For these reasons I think we take a punt and loan him for a year. It might work, it might not. But at least if it doesn't, we're not stuck with some dickhead on 70k p/w and a four year deal. He could make a decent impact off the bench, and start against shit teams. He won't track back all the time, and I wouldn't trust him in big games, but I bet he'd get a few goals and assists.

100% agree

1 trick pony - run and dribble and mediocre leftbacks, and come inside once in a while to bang in a cracking left footed shot (once every 10 games).

If City can't afford to carry a player like that, I'm damn sure Liverpool can't. If it's a winger you want, then it's a younger Bellamy with a serious work ethic on the pitch, and a bit of skill to boot.

I just can't help but feel Johnson is on the market, so Liverpool might be interested, rather then Liverpool actually identified and targeted him.

For Liverpool - it would have 'impulse' buy all over it... with buyers remorse 3 months later. Let Sunderland have him.