You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What does LFC have to do to be great again??

Backhander

Suarez, Skrtel and Agger (eventually) will sign new contracts with a decent pay rise! If you are a losing money but increasing wages then that is where the extra money goes.

We have £80m worth of players as squad players, not because we have invested in squad depth but because they were not good enough for the first team. We probably have the same wage bill as we did when we were in the champions league but we haven't had the champions league money for 3 years now, the extra income is probably replacing that money.

Not on an extra £100k a week each they won't. Bellamy, Kuyt, Maxi, and Aquilani were on about £300k p/w between them, or £45 trillion p/w if you believe Bascombe.

There should be money left to spend, and maybe there will be.

Should have got benitez ever since he left we have stagnated and gone back to mediocrity cant imagine that once we had Alonso/Mascherano/Torres.

I wonder in my lifetime is i will ever see european nights we once had. As it stands today its all about champions league places and its just gets harder and harder breaking into the top 4 with not enough money spent.

These days you ough to spend money build a quality side and every transfer window and if not add a world class signing.

The defeat on saturday was hurtful, we do have serious problems ahead of us. The next four fixtures do not grim i will be surprised if picked up at least 6 points out of the four.

If our target is not champions league this season how many more years do we give suarez/reina and others to convince them to stay becuase all top players want to play in the CL.

Anyway my rants over just have to be patient and slip into medeocrity, i hate to say this but i have no faith in BR nor FSG.

Suarez, Skrtel and Agger (eventually) will sign new contracts with a decent pay rise! If you are a losing money but increasing wages then that is where the extra money goes.

I think care needs to be taken here.

An extended contract for Skrtel, with only two years left on his contact, a good track record and few injuries makes sense.

Why did Suarez need a new contract? Three years to go, and a scoring record which did not trouble the Pl or European top order? No bids received, persona non grata for other English Clubs and rumoured interestonly from Juve amounting to nothing, probably instigated by his agent. RVP was on £110 a week at Arsenal,is Suarez really worth £125k?

Agger? Two years remaining, 50% injury record. Let him see out his 18 months then offer dependent upon fitness. Extending the contract and increasing the wages of a player who wants to stay is madness.

I think care needs to be taken here.

An extended contract for Skrtel, with only two years left on his contact, a good track record and few injuries makes sense.

Why did Suarez need a new contract? Three years to go, and a scoring record which did not trouble the Pl or European top order? No bids received, persona non grata for other English Clubs and rumoured interestonly from Juve amounting to nothing, probably instigated by his agent. RVP was on £110 a week at Arsenal,is Suarez really worth £125k?

Agger? Two years remaining, 50% injury record. Let him see out his 18 months then offer dependent upon fitness. Extending the contract and increasing the wages of a player who wants to stay is madness.

Yes.

So you'd risk losing him on a free? What kind of fucked up idea is that?

Arsenal would be kicked themselves if they had let Van Persie run his contract down during the seasons he was struggling with injury then him going on to score over 50 goals in the next two seasons for his new club. And so would we if we let Agger go away for a free only for him to go to a Man City/Barca/PSG/Madrid/Milan and win numerous trophies while we kept chugging along in mid table due to our inability to keep talented players and replace them adequately.

Why the hell would a player who DOESN'T want to be here sign a new contract? Surely its better giving new contracts to players who want to be here, rather than to ones who don't?

So you'd risk losing him on a free? What kind of fucked up idea is that?

But you don't. You offer a new contract, if the players form and injury record dictates that, when you need to - six months before expiry.

Offering a premium contract over an extended period when the player is already under contract and is injury prone -what kind of fucked up idea is that?

Football is played with the ball, it is about moving it from side to side to find spaces, to find yourself in superiority on the wing, to have little moments of magic.

We can all be physical but not everybody can be tactically adept. That needs training and faith in that style. This way of playing has got much more merit.

More players like Allen and less like Stewart fucking Downing.

But you don't. You offer a new contract, if the players form and injury record dictates that, when you need to - six months before expiry.

Offering a premium contract over an extended period when the player is already under contract and is injury prone -what kind of fucked up idea is that?

Six months before expiry other clubs will get involved, and they will be able to offer bigger contracts than usual due to the lack of transfer fee which means the only things that can happen in that situation is we have to give him a bigger wage than we would've if we'd offered 18 months ago OR we lose him a free to one of our rivals.

The ONLY players you can afford to let their contracts run down are the ones who wouldn't be able to sign for another club of the same level, or players you aren't desperate to keep. Someone who's wanted by one of the richest clubs in the world and current league champions? No, it would be ridiculous to not renew his contract in this situation, if not just to ensure we get the biggest possible fee for him.

Six months before expiry other clubs will get involved, and they will be able to offer bigger contracts than usual due to the lack of transfer fee which means the only things that can happen in that situation is we have to give him a bigger wage than we would've if we'd offered 18 months ago OR we lose him a free to one of our rivals.

The ONLY players you can afford to let their contracts run down are the ones who wouldn't be able to sign for another club of the same level, or players you aren't desperate to keep. Someone who's wanted by one of the richest clubs in the world and current league champions? No, it would be ridiculous to not renew his contract in this situation, if not just to ensure we get the biggest possible fee for him.

Your proposition defies logic.

If a player thinks that he can get a better offer elsewhere he may turn down a new contract on those grounds. Any club can come in, at any time, with improved terms. To keep him we would just have to pay market value- no big deal.

A player will seek the highest wage for the longest possible term. With an injury prone player, offering extended terms when you do not need to is high risk.

Now you might argue that in Agger’s case it is an acceptable risk. I don’t think so, you do, fair comment, its a judgement of Solomon. You think that it safeguards a high fee, which it might, but it might also tie a liability to us if he is seriously injured again, which the stats say is 50/50, which is high.

AA was bought injured, and has never returned to full fitness and form. Joe Cole was bought after serious injury, ditto. As a club, we need to wise up.

The City interest needs to be put into perspective. One offer, of £13m, was made. That reflected his injury record. Fit, he is worth double that. No personal terms were offered, or agreed.

The City interest needs to be put into perspective. One offer, of £13m, was made. That reflected his injury record. Fit, he is worth double that. No personal terms were offered, or agreed.

What types of injuries has he suffered in the past 2 years?

When he first signed he was 3rd choice for a year.

He was out of favour under Hodgson.

He has at least another 6 or 7 years playing top flight football.

What types of injuries has he suffered in the past 2 years?

When he first signed he was 3rd choice for a year.

He was out of favour under Hodgson.

He has at least another 6 or 7 years playing top flight football.

Not to mention we totally fucked up his metartarsal injury. Tried to reset the toe with a splinter of bone between the two pieces. Found this out 3 months later and had to re-break it to get the splinter out. Amazing stuff really.

What gets me is how pedestrian we are when attacking. We lack pace sure but nobody seems eager to get forward they feel once they have released the ball that's their job done. Remember Kenny's first game back against united when the midfielders were all pushing forward getting in to the box it was a breath of fresh air. United always look to get forward almost every player. We play it about the middle then pass it to a forward and sit back let them get on with it.

What gets me is how pedestrian we are when attacking. We lack pace sure but nobody seems eager to get forward they feel once they have released the ball that's their job done. Remember Kenny's first game back against united when the midfielders were all pushing forward getting in to the box it was a breath of fresh air. United always look to get forward almost every player. We play it about the middle then pass it to a forward and sit back let them get on with it.

I do. And i remember thinking we'll be fine here.

We went to the end of that season really playing well.

Then Kenny dismantled it.

Still a bit baffled by that.

We could really do with another Miereles type.

Or perhaps some are guilty of taking the first league game of the season using a team that have hardly played together and extrapolating that performance out across the rest of the season.

I'd prefer to wait before making judgement. That said, we do need an effective goalscorer pronto.

Or perhaps some are guilty of taking the first league game of the season using a team that have hardly played together and extrapolating that performance out across the rest of the season.

I'd prefer to wait before making judgement. That said, we do need an effective goalscorer pronto.

Never heard of him, who does he play for?