You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Managerial merry go round...

DanDanShaw

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You are just naming individual players again,it's the whole problem with England for decades. It's teams that are successful and England have barely ever looked like a team. There is so much money in the PL league that every team has a different philosophy,style of play and manager who wants things that most English players can't do. Then misguided supporters expect to do things that club managers know they aren't capable of. Fuck England and their racist,Brexit loving supporters anyway as I'm not wasting my time even mentioning them any more.

I said what the problem is; England have no style of football, now or historically, really. If you look at what France currently do, what Germany have done since 2010, Spain from 2008 to 2012, how the Dutch play, the unique styles of all the top South American teams,  they all have defined football cultures and styles that England dont.

But when you put the talent on the pitch England have in the past 25 or so years, you have to expect better. There's no reason they couldn't be like say, France, at some point.

French players are playing in England, Spain, Italy, and Germany. Very few English players go abroad. The two in Germany Southgate seems to have no intention of playing. Trippier went to play in Spain and has improved immeasurably.

English footballers stay in their comfort zone and get babysat by foreigners in the Premier League.

Same goes for the managers. Allardyce moaning about him and his LMA gimp gang not getting top jobs. Well, why not fuck off abroad and work your way up. Learn something about the game. 

It's why, despite the fact he's a bit of a tit, I've got respect for McClaren. He went to Holland and won a title. Who was the last English manager to win a title before him? Robson?

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

French players are playing in England, Spain, Italy, and Germany. Very few English players go abroad. The two in Germany Southgate seems to have no intention of playing. Trippier went to play in Spain and has improved immeasurably.

English footballers stay in their comfort zone and get babysat by foreigners in the Premier League.

Same goes for the managers. Allardyce moaning about him and his LMA gimp gang not getting top jobs. Well, why not fuck off abroad and work your way up. Learn something about the game. 

It's why, despite the fact he's a bit of a tit, I've got respect for McClaren. He went to Holland and won a title. Who was the last English manager to win a title before him? Robson?

Great point and agree totally. I think as a young player you'd improve going to Ajax or PSV but you'd get twice as much wages playing for Brighton. 

As usual - we don't think any further ahead than a few years. 

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

It feels like you'd have a lot of love for this fella? 

Roy-Hodgson.jpg

18 hours ago, Jockey said:

Great point and agree totally. I think as a young player you'd improve going to Ajax or PSV but you'd get twice as much wages playing for Brighton. 

As usual - we don't think any further ahead than a few years. 

I agree in principle but careers are very short and an injury could end it before it starts So you can understand why.

I reckon more players should move abroad, but England would prob overlook them anyway. Look at how mcmanamann he scored in a champions league final, won titles and still couldn’t make the England first 11. A more recent example is tomori who by all accounts has had a great season at Milan but was overlooked in favour of Conor coady.

25 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

I agree in principle but careers are very short and an injury could end it before it starts So you can understand why.

I reckon more players should move abroad, but England would prob overlook them anyway. Look at how mcmanamann he scored in a champions league final, won titles and still couldn’t make the England first 11. A more recent example is tomori who by all accounts has had a great season at Milan but was overlooked in favour of Conor coady.

True, but maybe move on a Bosman - play the system! That is piss poor management though - typical of Southgate who can't think outside the box. 

I look at Ben Woodburn and I can't help think that a move to Holland or Belgium would be great, even France - rather than end up at Bristol City or Birmingham. 

9 minutes ago, Jockey said:

True, but maybe move on a Bosman - play the system! That is piss poor management though - typical of Southgate who can't think outside the box. 

I look at Ben Woodburn and I can't help think that a move to Holland or Belgium would be great, even France - rather than end up at Bristol City or Birmingham. 

He'd be one of the oldest players at Ajax. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Bosmans wouldn’t work as clubs are still owed a fee if they are under 23 we had to pay for ings and solanke that way. Granted it’s much lower but prob still too much for Belgian or Dutch clubs.

3 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Bosmans wouldn’t work as clubs are still owed a fee if they are under 23 we had to pay for ings and solanke that way. Granted it’s much lower but prob still too much for Belgian or Dutch clubs.

I forgot about that! Hmm - not sure what someone like Woodburn would ask for but surely not that much? 

I think more should look to move abroad, surely it is better to win leagues in Austria and Belgium? 

20 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If anything, the expectations aren't high enough. The Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole generation should have won a major tournament and this current squad is also extremely talented in attacking areas. 

The problems are people like Southgate who can barely be classed as a manager, the toxic press and the fact England have no style of football. But the expectations should be very high.  

This England squad isn't a patch on that generation. They have loads of fast wide forwards but none are top top bracket, none are getting a game for LFC if Mane and Salah are at even competent levels. Players 15 to 22 are probably better but 1 to 11 are considerably worse. Probably only Trent of all the defenders and keepers would get into that squad, there were better centres backs left out of that squad than Maguire, Stones and Mings. 

5 hours ago, Jockey said:

No one should end up at that shit show. 

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

Haha - Bristol is Massive Attack and Portishead to me, not the milk and bins.

I take it you live in Bristol? This comment is just nonsense if you don't! 

Born and bred for the best part of 40 years (apart from spells in NY, Dubai and now Plymouth). 

Both Bristol clubs are a fucking joke, run by idiots and supported by massive bellends.