You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sausage egg & chips

Redder Lurtz

• 8 years later...
Just now, Tony Moanero said:

When cooking sausages in the oven (conventional, not fan), what temperature do you cook them on and for how long?

This is the first time I’ve tried this method. I’m cooking them on 190 degrees centigrade. I’ve had them in for half and hour and there’s barely any colour.

I cook just about everything at 200 in a fan oven. Hope this helps. 

But mate, they will take ages to brown in an oven at that heat. Like 50 minutes. Whack the heat up if you want them brown but they'll just be basting at the moment and probably cooked. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I cook just about everything at 200 in a fan oven. Hope this helps. 

But mate, they will take ages to brown in an oven at that heat. Like 50 minutes. Whack the heat up if you want them brown but they'll just be basting at the moment and probably cooked. 

Thanks. I’m used to using a fan oven, but ours blew up a couple of weeks ago and we replaced it with a budget one from Currys.

20 to 25 mins in the oven at 200 and then pop the grill on full to finish the browning for a few mins. It's not my preferred way of cooking them but I'll do it when making them for the kids. It means you can just leave them to cook rather than worrying about turning

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

When cooking sausages in the oven (conventional, not fan), what temperature do you cook them on and for how long?

This is the first time I’ve tried this method. I’m cooking them at 190C. I’ve had them in for half and hour and there’s barely any colour.

"Pour petrol on them, throw them in the fire for about 4 hours then set the dragon on them"  lifetime Fan - 2020 

or

"Give the butcher 400 quid for two then eat them raw" - Ardja - 2020 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

Tell me more, Harold. I’m interested in these. 

Google the Ninja Dual Zone Air fryer.

It's got 2 drawers so you can cook 2 different things at the same time, sausages in one drawer and chips in the other for example.

Just give the drawers a shake every now and then and that's it done.

Chips are always crispy and soft in the middle, sausages always cooked  through and browned.

We use oven chips in ours and they're always spot on.

You can have different temperatures in the drawers and each drawer has its own timer.

It's a brilliant bit of kit to be honest.

You cook the food in its own fat or a spoonful if you're doing home made chips, so it's better for you and the food tastes great.

Chicken drumsticks are fucking lovely. 

I'm pretty sure there's demo's on YouTube.

We used to use the Tefal Actifry before, but the Ninja is far better. 

71Xoy1EhgBL._AC_SX450_.jpg

• Upvote 3

On 27/08/2012 at 13:59, sir roger said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned thick, heavily-buttered toast. Easiest & most heavenly snack on god's earth.

I bought a tiger bread loaf from Sayers, I think it was called black sheep or something  it made amazing toast. Loads of butter. Sublime.

So many sausages now the skin is super thick, ruins them.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I bought a tiger bread loaf from Sayers, I think it was called black sheep or something  it made amazing toast. Loads lovelyof butter. Sublime.

Asda's extra special plain pork are lovely. I think they're £2.38 for a packet of 6 thick ones or £4 for 2 packets. 

They also do packets of 12 skinny ones for the same price.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I bought a tiger bread loaf from Sayers, I think it was called black sheep or something  it made amazing toast. Loads of butter. Sublime.

Wow I used to go to Sayers in Prescot on my way to primary school. Their toast was fucking unreal. I don't mean to swear but how else can I drum the message home. Thick as rickety with lashing of butter melting into it. Proper heaven. Toast is up there with Cheese if you ask me. Simply irresistible.