You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

If you say "Rafa gave us the greatest night in Liverpool's history', then you ARE comparing him with every other night by every other manager at the club.

Coming back to win the CL was an amazing game, but does that make it more special than winning it for the first time?

Does a halftime talk magically trump Paisley's mind games regarding Toshack in 77?

I think it's doing Paisley a bit of a disservice to claim it was Liverpool's greatest night. Perhaps for many it was, particularly younger fans, but I'm not so sure it's a universal opinion.

Riise

Enrique

Aurelio

Robinson

Warnock

Insua

Dossena

Konchesky

are/were all at least ten times the player Traore was, even bloody Konchesky! How Traore ever made it as a pro footballer will always beat me

If I remember correct Traore had just won the most promising player award or similar in France when we bought him.

If you say "Rafa gave us the greatest night in Liverpool's history', then you ARE comparing him with every other night by every other manager at the club.

Coming back to win the CL was an amazing game, but does that make it more special than winning it for the first time?

Does a halftime talk magically trump Paisley's mind games regarding Toshack in 77?

I think it's doing Paisley a bit of a disservice to claim it was Liverpool's greatest night. Perhaps for many it was, particularly younger fans, but I'm not so sure it's a universal opinion.

You're absolutely on the money, Fanchester. He gave us a fucking great night... but the deification of him, for it, is just ridiculous. (granted, I understand that my hatred for him can be seen as ridiculous, too)

He won less with us, than Houllier, but you don't see anyone deifying Houllier. The UEFA Cup win with Houllier... I enjoyed the game a lot more, and was having fun, and deliriously buzzing for days after we won it. The CL win... I was nearly crying at half time, and was about to jib it in, and walk out. Of course, we hit our first and I couldn't leave after that... and I was sick to my stomach with worry once we got level for the entire end of the match.

Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish... we were consistent after Shanks dragged us out of the muck... This is all before my time, really, but I'm sure that some of the auld fellas around here had some spectacular nights with them.

By saying that coming from 3 nil down against AC Milan in the biggest game in football isnt saying that he's better than Paisley. You're saying my post was saying that when you know damn well I wasnt. Thats like saying because someone scored the best goal of the season they are better than your stand out performed. It's rubbish.

You're absolutely on the money, Fanchester. He gave us a fucking great night... but the deification of him, for it, is just ridiculous. (granted, I understand that my hatred for him can be seen as ridiculous, too)

He won less with us, than Houllier, but you don't see anyone deifying Houllier. The UEFA Cup win with Houllier... I enjoyed the game a lot more, and was having fun, and deliriously buzzing for days after we won it. The CL win... I was nearly crying at half time, and was about to jib it in, and walk out. Of course, we hit our first and I couldn't leave after that... and I was sick to my stomach with worry once we got level for the entire end of the match.

Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish... we were consistent after Shanks dragged us out of the muck... This is all before my time, really, but I'm sure that some of the auld fellas around here had some spectacular nights with them.

You need to grow up son.

I know you despise him, Lance but surely you can see why people love him in terms of what he won and the amount of times we went to the best grounds in the World and beat the best teams in the world.

Houllier never won a European Cup or a league title, that's why he isnt revered as much. They are the two biggest things any English side can win and Benitez is one only 3 managers in the clubs history to win the former. That's why he's loved. It's not some affection born out of nowhere.

I know you despise him, Lance but surely you can see why people love him in terms of what he won and the amount of times we went to the best grounds in the World and beat the best teams in the world.

Houllier never won a European Cup or a league title, that's why he isnt revered as much. They are the two biggest things any English side can win and Benitez is one only 3 managers in the clubs history to win the former. That's why he's loved. It's not some affection born out of nowhere.

Oh no... Don't get me wrong, Robbie, I understand. I just don't see how it can offer some sort of indemnity for anything, and everything, negative and a blind reverence.

If I remember correct Traore had just won the most promising player award or similar in France when we bought him.

every single season he'd get a run in the team and we'd do poorly and as soon as he got dropped results would improve incredibly

the most games he has played at a club since he left us is 36 in two seasons at Monaco where they got relegated probably in no small part due to him, how the hell did he manage 88 games and 7 seasons at Liverpool?!

RobbieOR, I hold my hands up... saying he gave you the best night doesn't make him the better manager. You're right.

I still feel Paisley was a far better and often overlooked manager (of late), but I accept you weren't trying to compare the two in that way. I apologies for misinterpreting that.

I've no axe to grind with Rafa. Think he's a very capable manager, I just happen to hold Paisley in very high esteem as one of the greatest managers that ever lived. Up their with Shankly and Ferguson.

I still 'question' if it was the greatest night for Liverpool - but that's a highly subjective opinion and it's helped by being the most recent 'grand' success.

RobbieOR, I hold my hands up... saying he gave you the best night doesn't make him the better manager. You're right.

I still feel Paisley was a far better and often overlooked manager (of late), but I accept you weren't trying to compare the two in that way. I apologies for misinterpreting that.

Obviously, it would be idiotic to say otherwise. Nobody in the history of the European Cup has matched Paisley.

RobbieOR' date=' I hold my hands up... saying he gave you the best night doesn't make him the better manager. You're right.

I've no axe to grind with Rafa. Think he's a very capable manager, I just happen to hold Paisley in very high esteem as one of the greatest managers that ever lived. Up their with Shankly and Ferguson.

I still 'question' if it was the greatest night for Liverpool - but that's a highly subjective opinion and it's helped by being the most recent 'grand' success.[/quote']

You do know that Paisley won the European Cup three times, right?

I respect the fact that you've paid to support the site and all yet I still think your general persona is cloaked.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you are actually a red but you've declared yourself a supporter of another team, just to stand out from the crowd.

You're views on all matters LFC, from Hillsborough to Anfield redevelopment are reasoned but at the same time very strange regarding your time and interest in such matters.

This will never happen, but if Rafa were to somehow be appointed manager of City you'd be an incredible force in the Champion's League.

You do know that Paisley won the European Cup three times, right?

I respect the fact that you've paid to support the site and all yet I still think your general persona is cloaked.

Seriously though, I wouldn't be surprised to find that you are actually a red but you've declared yourself a supporter of another team, just to stand out from the crowd.

You're views on all matters LFC, from Hillsborough to Anfield redevelopment are reasoned but at the same time very strange regarding your time and interest in such matters.

This, tbh. I don't know how anybody can have so much interest in a team that they don't support. It's all a bit weird.

Which is why in the last 8 years, a Premiership team has appeared in seven out of 8 finals, won 3 of them, contested an all-Premiership final in 2008, and are current European Champions.

Chelsea weren't even champions of London last season, so let's not go making grandiose statements about how good they were last season, they weren't.

In the past 2 years I've really noticed a decline in the league, and i think English clubs have been readily helped by UEFA in getting seeded in nice groups, whereas they probably now don't merit that.

There was certainly a time when you'd fancy us, United, or Chelsea to beat all-comers in Europe. Not anymore, not in the last couple of years.

And we're not even talking about Barca or Madrid giving them a caning, we're also talking Bayern, Atletico, Juventus, Dortmund, Porto, Valencia, Lyon, PSG, Ajax, Shakhtar, Marseille all more than capable of beating our best teams over two legs, and probably more teams besides.

Our top teams just got lazy. United, City, and Chelsea just buy players. There's no real coaching when you drill down, there's no tactical nous, it's just them having more class players than most other teams in the division, ergo, they win more games. That's without factorign in the refereeing in this country. In Europe however, level refereeing playing field, surprise surprise, they aint as formidable.

I also think Wenger has given up.

Chelsea's win in Europe last season was borne of a lot things, many are immeasurable, like the spirit they showed especially knowing that it was the last season they would be playing for Chelsea. I was going to lump on them in the group stages, it just 'felt' like 2004/05 again, everything was stacked against them and they were feeding off that. That's not to say they were the best team in Europe though, but in a knockout competition they were magnificent, just refused to get bullied and then got some luck.