You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

- Silva seems to get selected more often than Mata for Spain, but Mata always looks more interested and effective when he plays. He certainly carries a greater goal threat. Silva and our very own Suso seem to be cut from the same cloth in that for all their deft left-footed technique, they never seem to deliver a telling contribution on a consistent basis. I'm always left with the impression that he should be doing more somehow.

- City spent over £30m on Nasri and Clichy, and they are both incredibly slack at times

Mata plays as a number 10 for Chelsea though, Silva is often shunted out wide for City. Its no wonder the former has more of an influence on games. I think they're both great players, but City should really build their team around Silva as Chelsea have with Mata.

Nasri looks like he doesn't give a fuck, he should be the first sold in the summer.

I think its also probably the last season that Barry is a regular starter for them.

I'm incredibly underwhelmed by City. Their forward options seem pedestrian a lot of the time. Aguero is undeniably talented, as is Tevez, but they always seem to have to beat 3 men to score a goal. They lack creative players to put chances in front of them, as you say, Silva and Nasri are so hot and cold.

I think that Mansour will continue to pour money into the club this Summer, but I think they might have reconsidered that if Ferguson had stayed on.

City bore me. They don't attack at pace, they don't play great football, they just be reasonably solid and then rely on some magic from Tevez, Silva and Aguero, or some power from Dzeko and Toure.

The likes of Rodwell, Milner, Barry, Sinclair, Nasri, and Garcia are so fucking meh, it's crazy for Mancini to think that they can get away with so much waste in their relatively small squad.

I'm also a little bit concerned about the number of scouts we are acquiring from City. Looking at their squad, and ressies/youth teams, it's hard to see what they achieved.

Man City played as though they felt they only had to turn up to win this. When Yaya Toure isn't motoring, they really struggle to look cohesive don't they? While there weren't that many chances for either side, Wigan didn't play like a team that is on the verge of relegation from the Premier League. I fucking hate Dave Whelan, but fair play to Wigan for not being daunted by the occasion. McManaman was the pick of the bunch today. Just a few points:

- If Man City were ever considering letting go of Zabaleta, I would hope we'd at least try to get him. Vastly under-rated, but he's effective and he actually gives a shit

- Paul Scharner's hair. WTF?!

- Silva seems to get selected more often than Mata for Spain, but Mata always looks more interested and effective when he plays. He certainly carries a greater goal threat. Silva and our very own Suso seem to be cut from the same cloth in that for all their deft left-footed technique, they never seem to deliver a telling contribution on a consistent basis. I'm always left with the impression that he should be doing more somehow.

- City spent over £30m on Nasri and Clichy, and they are both incredibly slack at times

Obviously it shouldn't make any difference but when Silva played for Valencia he was frequently brilliant. Then, alongside 3 or 4 other flair players, no not Barry and Milner, he only sporadically looks sublime. Last season he was for the most part but it's definitely not the norm for him at City. Therefore my diagnosis is that he needs to feel like he is special and for that I prescribe a £5m transfer to Liverpool where he will look like a polished diamond in a heap of shit.

Just watching the Villa-Chelsea highlights on MOTD and Motson can barely conceal his delight at Lampard's goals.

Christ, surely operation Yewtree will have something on him soon? He must've been hanging around with Hall back in the day.

Scientifically speaking I can confirm that everybody in Britain hates him too, including his family.

Barca champions of La Liga without even kicking a ball tonight.

From twitter - Last ten la liga titles: Barça, Madrid, Barça, Barça, Barça, Madrid, Madrid, Barça, Barça, Valencia.

Premier League winners (including this season) over the last decade were the Mancs x6, Chelsea x 3, Man City x 1.

Not that different, really.

Edit: just realised I left out the Gooners - that'll teach me to mix ale and wine.

Sorry Chiles you cushion-faced depressive but Wimbledon (7th) beat Liverpool (1st) in 1988. If that shocked you then you're a brummie twat.

Wasn't 1995, Everton (15th) beating Man Utd (2nd) more of a shock*.

* and not just that Everton were lifting silverware.

No mate. Wimbledon beating us is considered the biggest giant killing in the last 25 years because of the sheer gulf in footballing ability between the two teams at the time. We were absolute class, and really should have played them off the park. Everton beating Utd is a million miles away. See below for Match of the Day's goal of the season 1987-1988. Out of all the goals, McMahon running for the line is always a favourite !

[YOUTUBE]Xz92Ty7EyMM[/YOUTUBE]

No mate. Wimbledon beating us is considered the biggest giant killing in the last 25 years because of the sheer gulf in footballing ability between the two teams at the time. We were absolute class, and really should have played them off the park. Everton beating Utd is a million miles away. See below for Match of the Day's goal of the season 1987-1988. Out of all the goals, McMahon running for the line is always a favourite !

[YOUTUBE]Xz92Ty7EyMM[/YOUTUBE]

That's not for real surely?

Either way, my God, we were so privileged.

As it was before my time Ive always wondered what happened in 1988?

Is the cup final today a good representation of it, just didnt turn up?

One of which seems to look odds on to be relegated each year. I'd say that's a calculated risk worth hoping for.

I think Everton under Martinez would be pretty much what they are under Moyes: confortable. He'd get them passing and possibly bettering Moyes' record against the big teams' date=' but the hope is he'd undermine their defensive abilities and they'd be as inconsistent as, well, us, but a cut-price shitter version hopefully several places lower in the league.[/quote']

Pass gas maybe. Everton won't be able to pass the ball well, they're too technically limited for that. Martinez I think is the type of manager that is good at building teams from bottom up, ie recruit young talented players on the cheap and instill his attractive playing philosophy. He would need an entire generation to accomplish that at the Bitters.

I was there. We scored a perfectly good goal which was disallowed, and Beasant made his career out of saving an Aldridge penalty.

It just wasn't our day.

I was there as well. What a horrible, horrible day. You forgot the leg-snapping challenge on McMahon by the hod carrier. It wuz vat wot won it.

I've got that BBC Goal of the Season compilation on video somewhere (I knew the full commentary for each one - "And that is another fantastic Liverpool goal!"). Still great to see after all these years.

We were good, young 'uns, we were good.

The Red Tide shall rise again!

The '88 final was one of the worst days I had following the reds.

None of the lads I went the game with got a ticket, so was travelling down on my own. Had already booked my coach when a lad in work said I could travel with him (he was with different coach firm), so ended up travelling on my own but made arrangement to meet me down there.

Coach broke down en route, somewhere near Stoke, so we ended up getting to Wembley late, but in time for kick off. However, in days of no mobile phones, I couldn't get message to lad from work so, needless to say, he wasn't in meeting place when I finally got there so ended up going into the ground on my own.

Was stood in upper terracing, good view of the game. I remember celebrating Beardsley's goal and then the disappointment of seeing it disallowed. The joy of getting the pen, only for this lad in front to start telling everyone about how he'd had a dream the night before that we got a pen but it was saved. The despair of seeing the pen saved and then the same lad rattling on about how his dream had come true - felt like decking him.

Felt like the longest journey home from Wembley, ever. In them days, to do a league and FA cup double was something special.

To this day, I feel like kicking the tv screen in whenever I see Laurie fucking Sanchez's face on it.

I was there as well. What a horrible, horrible day. You forgot the leg-snapping challenge on McMahon by the hod carrier. It wuz vat wot won it.

I've got that BBC Goal of the Season compilation on video somewhere (I knew the full commentary for each one - "And that is another fantastic Liverpool goal!"). Still great to see after all these years.

We were good, young 'uns, we were good.

The Red Tide shall rise again!

I've gone all misty eyed! My first season ticket that year, no end of 4-0 wins, Beardsleys derby goal, Barnes two goals v QPR, Aldos volley in the FA cup semi. And collapsing Kops!

It was 80 degrees the whole year and there was world peace. That's how I remember it anyway!