You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

Andy Dunn was busy chatting shit about British managers in the Mirror this morning. Bemoaning how lower placed clubs turn to them to stave off relegation, but continental managers to win things. Then admitted Moyes and Rodgers had dropped the ball when given the chance. Which kind of negated his argument. As did Advocaat saving Sunderland last season.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Andy Dunn was busy chatting shit about British managers in the Mirror this morning. Bemoaning how lower placed clubs turn to them to stave off relegation, but continental managers to win things. Then admitted Moyes and Rodgers had dropped the ball when given the chance. Which kind of negated his argument. As did Advocaat saving Sunderland last season.

I honestly think the world might explode if Sunderland get relegated this season with Big Sam in charge

• Upvote 1

I had 5live on last week and I don't know who was talking, but they came out with "the question nobody seems to be asking is why British managers don't get a crack at a job like Liverpool". That'll be the same Liverpool that have appointed 4 managers in the short time Ian ayre has been at the club and this is the first non-British appointment.
  • Upvote 1

I had 5live on last week and I don't know who was talking, but they came out with "the question nobody seems to be asking is why British managers don't get a crack at a job like Liverpool". That'll be the same Liverpool that have appointed 4 managers in the short time Ian ayre has been at the club and this is the first non-British appointment.

Exactly. Chelsea and Arsenal haven't had a British manager for nearly 20 years. In Arsenal's case, that's because they replaced Rioch with Wenger who is still there after all these years, but Chelsea had Hoddle in charge back then. After he left to take the England job, they replaced him with Gullit and have had Vialli, Ranieri, Shitcoat twice, Grant, Scolari, Hiddink, Ancelotti, Villas-Boas, Di Matteo and Rafa since then.

British managers don't try their luck abroad because the money is better in England, and they have the LMA covering their arses and banging the British drum for them. 

• Upvote 1

I do think there's some truth in that to be fair, I've long thought it. I think British managers tend to manage with their personality rather than their brain, that serves them well with limited squads. Someone like Joe Royle would be lost at Milan or Arsenal, but equally Wenger would be just as lost at Blackpool.

Poor Yaya. He's winning stuff and earning millions but he's got a bit of a titty lip on because people aren't blowing smoke up his arse too.

It's hard not to feel sorry for the poor soul, eh?

Manchester City’s Yaya Touré: I have won titles and money, but am not happy

• 32-year-old ‘sickened’ by media treatment in England and in Ivory Coast 

• ‘I have suffered for years, and now I have decided to speak out’

Yaya Touré claimed that after he captained his country to the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations, 'the most unloved individual in the Ivory Coast became the best-loved for a little while.' Photograph: Martin Rickett/PA

Michael Butler

@michaelbutler18

Monday 19 October 2015 15.42 BSTLast modified on Monday 19 October 201517.18 BST

Share on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on Google+Share on WhatsApp

Shares

Save for later

Yaya Touré has launched a stinging attack on the media in England and Ivory Coast, insisting that he has been treated unfairly for his performances with Manchester City, claiming: “I have won titles, lots of money, but I am not happy.”

Touré told L’Equipe on Monday that his goalscoring record deserves more praise and that he is deeply hurt and sickened by “lots of bitter people who tried to dirty my name”. The 32-year-old has scored once this season in 11 appearances for City, who are top of the Premier League after nine games.

“Journalists have spoken about a new departure for me,” Touré said. “But what new departure? I have just come out of a season with City where we finished second in the English league, which is the hardest in the world.

Manchester City’s Yaya Touré on list for fifth African player of year award

Read more

Of his goalscoring exploits in the 2013/14 season, Touré added: “I scored 26 goals, 20 in the Premier League, and nobody mentioned it. You understand a bit my disgust. Here, when it is bad, they stress it; when it’s good, they leave that in the dungeon. They have always used their little methods to annoy and alienate me.”

Advertisement

"" style="border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

Last season Touré scored only half of that tally – 13 in total, 10 of which came in the Premier League – but still had an impressive campaign with City, especially considering that before 2014-15 his brother Ibrahim died of cancer while Touré was at the World Cup. Furthermore, at the start of 2015 Touré missed six matches for City – of which the Manchester club won just one – to represent the Ivory Coast at the Africa Cup of Nations, with the central midfielder captaining his country to their first triumph in the competition since 1992.

“That was my biggest desire, my most important project, it happened, finally, after losing two finals,” Touré said. “I lifted the trophy as the captain of Les Éléphants. Exceptional, unforgettable. I did my job, won Afcon, and subtly, the most unloved individual in the Ivory Coast became the best-loved for a little while.

“They said that I fought with Didier [Drogba], with Zokora, and even Kolo, my own brother … and they denigrated me, even through songs. Politicians insulted me. That hurts, that hurts a lot. The national team, it no longer has anything to do with football.”

Yaya Touré faces December trial on alleged speeding offence

Read more

Touré was linked with a move abroad in the summer, after his agent Dimitri Seluk claimed in May that the Ivorian was “90% certain to leave Manchester City.” Internazionale emerged as the most likely destination, with the Italian club’s vice-president, Javier Zanetti, claiming they were close to signing the African.

Advertisement

"" style="border: 0px; vertical-align: bottom;">

In May 2014, Seluk also said that Touré was considering leaving City because he was “treated him with disrespect” after the club failed to address a “number of things that have left Yaya feeling bitterly upset”, which included Touré feeling underappreciated on his birthday.

“People thought that I was going to leave because of all that, but they forget that I am an honest person who keeps his word,” Touré continued. “Even if there were lots of bitter people who tried to dirty my name.

“When I arrived at City, in 2010, I heard a lot of people say, here, that I was going to kill football! The journalists were talking about my salary and saying that it was a disgrace. They asked what I, Yaya Touré, was going to change at City. And so, did you see what happened next? We won nearly everything. In fact, it is recognition that I do not have that hurts me. It is a bit sickening.

“I do not want my two sons in football. I do not want them to have to go through everything that I have endured. It has hurt me. Everyone thinks I am happy: I have won titles, lots of money, but, no, I am not happy.

The goings on at Leeds have been utterly ridiculous since Massimo Cellino took over (things were pretty shit before then too) but you have to bear in mind that he actually passed the 'fit and proper persons' test. British clubs have had some bad knobhead owners so it's pretty evident that this test is not fit for purpose.