You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Too many teams qualifying for the Euros now.  The old format was fine, 16 teams, most of them able to hold their own.  Used to prefer the Euros to the world cup for this reason.  Now we've got shite like Northern Ireland and Wales simply making up the numbers in a bloated tournament.  Same as the world cup.

• Upvote 2

Too many teams qualifying for the Euros now. The old format was fine, 16 teams, most of them able to hold their own. Used to prefer the Euros to the world cup for this reason. Now we've got shite like Northern Ireland and Wales simply making up the numbers in a bloated tournament. Same as the world cup.

Yeah spot on. Euros has been my favourite since it went 16 teams. Cracking competition, just the right balance of number and quality of teams.

I think we might get a freak winner of the next Euro's.

Germany and Spain aren't at the level they were. The Dutch might not even qualify. Italy have got good results but, on paper, their first XI is relatively poor, compared to past Italy teams.

I wouldn't rule out France or Belgium. Or even England. Might even get another Greece, one of the less favoured, but defensively tighter, teams like Iceland or Austria surprising a few people.

I think it's a wide open tournament.

To be fair to Wales and N. Ireland- Iceland, too- they probably would even have qualified under the old format. All three of those teams are in the top two of their respective groups and all have a shot of winning it in the last round of matches. It's not as if they've scraped in as play-off winners having finished third. They've all done fantastically well and more than deserve their spot at the finals next year.

• Upvote 2

I think we might get a freak winner of the next Euro's.

Germany and Spain aren't at the level they were. The Dutch might not even qualify. Italy have got good results but, on paper, their first XI is relatively poor, compared to past Italy teams.

I wouldn't rule out France or Belgium. Or even England. Might even get another Greece, one of the less favoured, but defensively tighter, teams like Iceland or Austria surprising a few people.

I think it's a wide open tournament.

France are second favourites. They wouldn't be a surprise winner at all, in my opinion. I'd be very surprised if Germany or France didn't win it. No other side has got strength all over the pitch. Spain won't score enough goals (they've been shite in qualifying against the mediocre sides - as opposed to the really fucking shit sides).

• Upvote 1

Lewandowski's great, but he's also a snide, diving twat. Would love to see him get a slap that actually merits his constant overreactions.

He's a striker, what'd you expect.

Of the 24 teams that qualify, 16 will go through to the knockout stages, so third place in the group will be enough in 4 of the 6 groups, its fucking ridiculous! 

Well, looking at the qualies, you see that teams like Iceland, Austria, N. Ireland are top of their groups and teams like Spain, Germany, Netherlands are not as good as they were. It's still a year till the EUROs so a lot can change but nowadays a lot of EU countries can play good footie. Favorites for me are France, Germany and Belgium. Spain as well if they tweak their style of play, but it doesn't look like it - more to what they played at EURO08. Even Germany is going down the "Spain road"... To much possesion, not enough agression.

I think the Rugby World Cup has it spot on for format- 4 groups of 5 teams instead of 4 teams means 10 matches per group and a minimum of 4 for each participant. This is opposed to only 6 total matches and a minimum of 3 for each participant. The top 2 from each group still qualify for the quarter finals, yet it still gives teams a chance to recover from a poor start or unlucky refereeing (ie Croatia v Brazil last year)

• Upvote 1

I think the Rugby World Cup has it spot on for format- 4 groups of 5 teams instead of 4 teams means 10 matches per group and a minimum of 4 for each participant. This is opposed to only 6 total matches and a minimum of 3 for each participant. The top 2 from each group still qualify for the quarter finals, yet it still gives teams a chance to recover from a poor start or unlucky refereeing (ie Croatia v Brazil last year)

3 games never seems enough. Teams can be out after just 2 games in the World Cup and it makes it seem like such a waste them even having travelled, it's over before it's really started.

An extra round of games would keep things interesting and be a better test of teams' abilities.