You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Veteran football club owner Dave Whelan will be immortalised with a statue outside Wigan Athletic FC, it has been revealed.

The charismatic businessman and former professional stood down in March as chairman of the club after more than 20 years at the helm - and was replaced by his 23-year-old grandson David Sharpe.

Mr Whelan, 78, who remains the owner of the League One club, will also now become club life president, bosses at the DW Stadium have announced.

Dave Whelan saidThe club said the plans for a statue outside the stadium would honour his ‘enduring legacy to the town’ and be a ‘fitting tribute to the man who presided over the transformation of the club’.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/statue-wigan-athletic-owner-dave-9337122

Veteran football club owner Dave Whelan will be immortalised with a statue outside Wigan Athletic FC, it has been revealed.

The charismatic businessman and former professional stood down in March as chairman of the club after more than 20 years at the helm - and was replaced by his 23-year-old grandson David Sharpe.

Mr Whelan, 78, who remains the owner of the League One club, will also now become club life president, bosses at the DW Stadium have announced.

Dave Whelan saidThe club said the plans for a statue outside the stadium would honour his ‘enduring legacy to the town’ and be a ‘fitting tribute to the man who presided over the transformation of the club’.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/statue-wigan-athletic-owner-dave-9337122

He'll be holding a plaster cast in one hand, the FA Cup in the other and be having a right old bloody laugh with a group of utterly horrified 'Chingalings'.

• Upvote 1

I wish people would watch games like tonight and remind themselves in six months time about what a great night it would be to get in a Europa League Final next year.

I'd take a Europa League Final over a CL semi final any day of the week.

The way we're shaping up the Johnstones paint trophy final would be a bonus for us.

• Upvote 1

I wish people would watch games like tonight and remind themselves in six months time about what a great night it would be to get in a Europa League Final next year.

I'd take a Europa League Final over a CL semi final any day of the week.

Agreed. English teams not taking the Europa League seriously can go in the shitness of modern football thread.

• Upvote 3

At least it provides something to throw bucketfuls of tory-infested shit at for the pissed-up locals on the way home or to the local pie shop, (presuming they're not the same place)

I'm probably in a minority, but I'd like us to have a good go at the Europa League next season. Don't get me wrong, the group stages are shite and it's an absolute ball ache going to fucking Moldova and Azerbaijan, but it's well worth having a go if you get to the knockouts.

I think it's only really in this country where it has a bad rep. A good run and some good performances could go some part into improving our rep after what's been a frankly embarrassing European campaign. It did wonders for Ged's team in it's previous guise, even if the quality of teams was generally better back in 2001.

As a neutral I like to see a goal-fest so it's been a decent game so far. The pitch seems to have a very slick surface and a few players are struggling to keep their feet, but the game is flowing quite nicely. Sevilla have had most of the possession as expected, but Dnipro aren't exactly camping out in front of their own box either. 

It'd be decent competition if the 'losers' didn't enter and domestic games weren't moved to Sundays.pile of shite currently for me

Good game tho and what did we see in this Konkoplyanka or whatever his name is?

He's basically a white 24 yr old Sterling,quick but shite end product