You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football

Jhinge Machha

i hate giving the cunt credit, but he won the european cup with porto ffs. that job earnt him the right to live at the top table money wise, why would he want to go back to that type of job again?

That was a one-off. Rafa won us the CL with far less talented players than Deco, Carvalho and the rest. Mour is really "the Special Cunt"

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jairzinho

• magicrat

• Russ Atmosphere

• Dr Nowt

Whats wrong in this country is for years and still we dont have a real set up for grass roots footballers coming up into the game, instead we spend loads of money on shite Ex-players taking part in focus groups to work to an agendas set by the FA and give there opinion in the media. Its very rarly we have one that goes againt the grain.

What I notice in Poland - as a random contrasting example - is that football journalists are predominantly a rather academic breed: nerds, in other words, who take pride in knowing their stuff, watching football from across the globe on a constant basis, reading up on their history and tactics, and so forth. Compare that with the English equivalent: a bunch of lazy, parasitic, semi-literate, and even xenophobic hacks who can't believe their luck and aren't about to rock any boats...

I think you've described tabloids in general there. There are a number of decent broadsheet football writers, if not papers.

I think you've described tabloids in general there. There are a number of decent broadsheet football writers, if not papers.

Of course, it's a generalization. But I think it applies to many broadsheet writers. How many of them can claim to have a significant knowledge of non-Premier League football, world football history, coaching theory, sports science, etc.?

Seriously, if I was being paid as a full time football writer, I'd make damn sure I knew my stuff. Call it professional pride.

Didn't know that, but sounds very much like Rafa's take on it.  I liked that side of him.

Agree about the national game too.

Think the source was Guillem Balague who was quoting something Benitez had told him before. We may have the best attendances in the PL but we probably have the most uneducated spectators who would probably happily swap the footie itself  for a public execution or stoning. Don't let the rules get in the way of a good afternoon's booing and abuse. 

Think the source was Guillem Balague who was quoting something Benitez had told him before. We may have the best attendances in the PL but we probably have the most uneducated spectators who would probably happily swap the footie itself  for a public execution or stoning. Don't let the rules get in the way of a good afternoon's booing and abuse. 

Badly expressed.

Just to clarify 'we' in this case refers to fans in this country as opposed to we meaning LFC. 

Agreed. I said multiple times in the whole Suarez affair that nobody was interested in the nuances of the case - and in a lot of cases, didn't care about the prevalence of racism in football or otherwise, they just wanted their opinion on the latest pantomime villain validated. "We always knew he was a wrong'un, now we've got official proof. BooOOooOOO! You know what you are!"

I reckon the average footie fan in this country is far more interested in the tribalism than the tactics - the opportunity to express their team's - and therefore their own - superiority over others. The writing reflects this, as on the whole it's provocative and explosive rather than full of analysis (with a few exceptions). But fuck it, I'm no psychologist.

news just in, a big FU to the fans of the holders and this years semi finalists....

FA Cup holders Wigan play Arsenal in this season's Wembley semi-finals on Saturday, 12 April at 17.00 BST.

League One outfit Sheffield United will take on Hull City in the second semi-final the following day at 16.00 BST.

Latics fans will be hoping there is no extra time because the last train leaving Euston Station for Wigan will depart at 20:31 BST.

that should be a yellow card, that's definitely a yellow card

replay shows a dive

And the constant c'mon every time Arsenal break when is Townshend and the rest gonna realise nearly all the watching public want Arsenal to go out just like it will be the same tomorrow when City play.

How about a bit of fucking unbiased commentary