You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nuri Sahin

WhiskeyJar

I agree Gerrard's been decent but please don't equate some saddo who copies and pastes someone else's stats (ie you) with someone who knows anything about football.

Its funny how my opinions usually are backed up by the stats, maybe its because I'm on to something.

Sahin has been a massive disappointment for me. He may not have played deep many times for us (which he claims to be his best position) but im glad he hasn't really because he's slow and leightweight which just isn't going to cut it in the Premier League.

Sahin has been a massive disappointment for me. He may not have played deep many times for us (which he claims to be his best position) but im glad he hasn't really because he's slow and leightweight which just isn't going to cut it in the Premier League.

Yeah I agree with that, further I just get the feeling he really doesn't want to be here, that's just a hunch obviously but it's one I trust.

Yeah I agree with that, further I just get the feeling he really doesn't want to be here, that's just a hunch obviously but it's one I trust.

Agree, if he wanted to really be here there is no way he would be out as long as this with a broken nose.

Drop a loan player and I doubt his head will be fully committed for very long as there is nothing in it for him really.

He probably doesn't, but he's not getting a chance at Madrid if he can't do well here. So it's in his best interests to make a fist of it here, unless he wants to be offloaded while his value is low. Would probably be picked up by a German club as it's the one league he's had success.

Lol.. The site reckons Joe Allen is 183 cm or around 6' tall..

Find another site I say.

They have probably just mixed up the 8 and 3.

Its easily the best football site out there when it comes to information about games.

We wasted £15million in the summer then.

Edited by J-V

Totally agree with this.

Personally speaking, I no longer think Gerrard belongs in midfield any longer. To make possession football work all the midfielders have to press the ball like Stoke (STOKE!!) mercilessly did to us. Gerrard doesn't do that so he shouldn't be in midfield. What he does do however is score goals so he should be in the front 3. Who is in the front 3 these days? Sterling and Downing, you aren't telling me Gerrard wouldn't score more and create more than those two.

We've been caught on the counter time and time again because we aren't closing gaps by not pressing the ball. Code and show all the stats in the world but Gerrard hasn't been anything other than average this season.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

It's so frustrating to see somebody you know to be a very special player just sitting on the sidelines. Admittedly he has been injured of late, and recovering from surgery, but I know this guy is a top quality player. He's still young and we should, in my opinion, be doing everything we can to build the midfield around him. If that means buying somebody to play the role Bender played, so be it (I think we need a destroyer either way). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's going to work out. It's a shame, because it was always going to take him a little time to get over a year out and moving to a new league. Certainly more than 7 league games anyway.

I'm more concerned at our lack of goals coming from midfield. Everyone is rightly banging on about our lack of strikers, but the truth is, we just aren't scoring goals from midfield anymore and we haven't done since Gerrard and Xabi were at their pomp. Granted, Raheem ciuld have bagged half a dozen goals by now and you would expect to see a big improvement come with maturity when it comes to his finishing. Apart from that, Gerrard hasn't been anywhere near as clinical this season. Allen is looking more like a poor man's Jamie Redknackers, Sahin has been piss poor and Hendo's strength certainly isn't converting goal scoring chances. Lucss has been injured, but yet again, what support heoffers our back 4 is to the detriment of our offensive thrust. Just a handful if goals in 4 seasons simply isn't good enough for a player who is essentially a midfielder. We have had this defence first mentality in midfield for too long. And whereas there are games where we need to set up like this, we also need a more dynamic player in the centre of midfield who can add his weight to our final third.

My opinion of Sahin hasn't changed from that very first Arsenal game : looks quality but is as s-l-o-w as fuck.

"Slower than Maxi" is right.

Thanks fuck we've only got him on loan for a season.

Next...

If Rodgers had saved on Sahin's wages he could have got Dempsey...........

They have probably just mixed up the 8 and 3.

Its easily the best football site out there when it comes to information about games.

I'd say its the best free site, but EPLIndex is better.

I don't like their player ranking system though, stats can be useful, but I don't think a multiple regression should be used to put a number to how good a player is. However the statto guy we recently hired also built a similar model, so it could be used in part for our future scouting of players.

We wasted £15million in the summer then.

I presume you're talking about Joe Allen. You may be right of course, but then Joe Allen doesn't state that his best position is in the holding role. You can afford to be slow and lightweight if your role in the team doesn't require those attributes.

Here's what I wrote after his performance in the Arsenal game, and I'm entitled to revise my opinion slightly based on what we've seen from him since then:

He doesn't need to adapt to the pace of the Premier League. He spent several years at Dortmund, and the most productive years were as part of a team that played a high intensity attacking and pressing game, so the whole up-and-at-'em thing won't be new to him. Against Arsenal, he looked like a player lacking in match fitness having barely played over the past 12 months at Real Madrid through being both injured and out of favour. He's only just joined the club so still has to get used to playing with new teammates that are themselves adjusting to a new system and style of play. It's not going to be fluent from the off.

I mentioned there that Dortmund play a very intense pressing game, and that he was a key part of their success. He didn't play alongside a pure destroyer back then either - it was either Kehl or Bender, who are both more like Lucas in breaking up play rather than players such as Diame or Tiote that are much more physical.

The other thing I need to emphasise is the nature of Dortmund's pressing game. Dortmund are a very compact side regardless of the situation. Be it attacking, pressing or sitting back, there is usually no more than about 30 yards from their defensive line to their forwards. It is basically like Arrigo Sacchi's Milan speeded up.

In that compressed area, having quick feet is more effective than outright pace, which works better in the wide areas where space can be exploited this way. Our team - to use coaching speak - is much more 'vertical'. We also we don't play with as high a defensive line as Dortmund, so the players are more spread out than Dortmund's. In that situation, being able to cover the ground quickly is probably a bit more effective than just having quick feet. Because Sahin doesn't have that speed, he can become very peripheral, lightweight and ineffectual.

We are a far stronger team when we get on the front foot and press the opposition, but our current inconsistency (partly due to personnel) is also down to not pressing effectively in some games or not pressing at all in others. Consistency of approach with regards to pressing, along with stronger personnel, will make us much more effective and consistent, and results will improve. Put Sahin in that sort of set-up and he'll look like the player everybody once raved about.

He's recovering from an op on his nose apparently thats why he hasn't played for a few weeks,I still recon he's a better player than Allen he's not worth the reported £14m he would cost us but if we could do a deal around £8-9m then i'd take him on a permanent deal in the summer.