You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Will hopefully be there Alan. I still remember that awful day when Villa where beating United only for United to come back and win. The West Brom fans were delighted and we stood there like we had just been told they had run out of Donners!

Great pub that one. "The Vine" I think its called, its like the Rovers Return if it was in a Bollywood Film...

I can't wait, have a cracking little pub sorted which has a tandoori oven in the back! I hope the weather is nice so that I can wear my shorts and black trabs and blend in. One of the best away trips though, nice little tram back into Birmingham City Centre.

I can't wait, have a cracking little pub sorted which has a tandoori oven in the back! I hope the weather is nice so that I can wear my shorts and black trabs and blend in. One of the best away trips though, nice little tram back into Birmingham City Centre.

25 degrees with the odd shower, that is at least 10 degrees above the minimum acceptance for shorts, so go for it

Reasons to be cheerful- part 2012/13

I love the eve of a new season, hope is at its maximum untainted by the inevitable misfortunes that the impending campaign will bring.

For us it is also the dawn of a new era, the Rodgers era . One not skewed by the old tales of derring-do from the Dalglish reign, nor by the achievement conflict and intrigue of the Benitez years. Rodgers lack of history with us and track record is his greatest asset. He offers a fresh approach and precious little for the snipers to shoot at- apart from that there is precious little. His managerial status will be defined by what he does with us. He hasn’t put a foot wrong to date.

There is much to admire in Rodgers so far. His assertive statement of authority in his exchange with Ayre at his press conference regarding a DOF was brave. His preparedness to grasp the nettles of the folly of both the Aquilani and Carroll misfires show a man prepared to deal with what was obvious to everyone else anyway. We haven’t scored enough goals, he has brought in a forward, and a goal scoring midfielder, that’s common sense. Allen? All mangers love a voice and an ear in the dressing room and a man who can show and support his methods, further evidence of his pragmatism. His international outlook, his knowledge of Spanish and the Spanish game, and his appreciation through Chelsea and Mourinho of what success looks like in the modern game are huge assets, as are his hands on knowledge of the transfer market

Last season we were without Lucas for almost the entire season, Gerrard for a significant part of it and Suarez for a quarter of the league campaign. Having all three available would boost any team- we will be no exception.

I loved the fact that Rodgers played a full strength side in the EL. As a club we have been defined by our Euro success. The UEFA Cup/EL has proved a fiendishly difficult prize to win for English sides in recent years, Man u and City’s exit in the competition last year reiterated that. An EL win would do much to put us back on track for future CL campaigns.

We had one of the best defences in the league last year, that defence has remained in tact, a huge advantage going into the new season.

Success will not be just down to us, it will be down to others. AVB at Spurs is a big risk, Di Matteo at Chelsea is doomed, Arsenal have just sold their top goal scorer- that could mean the difference between 4th and seventh. It could all just fall in our favour.

FSG, they are solvent, the club has no money worries and with the sacking of Dalglish they have shown determination and resolve, all good qualities.

And there is the opening game of the season at the Hawthorns, a proper ground, and a club steeped in the right sort of football through Astle, Hartford and Brown and the Three Degrees. A football contest with the added spice of taking on Steve Clarke, whom I wish well, I will be there.

The 2012/13 trophies are unengraved, the table is zeroed – come on you Reds!

Can't remember ever being as confident for the first game of the season. Force an early goal then turn on the style.

totally agree,

4-1 to us! suarez with a couple at least.

i have a good feeling about this season and rodgers.

suarez will get 25+ goals this season,and i fancy gerrard to be back to his near best.

Reasons to be cheerful- part 2012/13

I love the eve of a new season, hope is at its maximum untainted by the inevitable misfortunes that the impending campaign will bring.

For us it is also the dawn of a new era, the Rodgers era . One not skewed by the old tales of derring-do from the Dalglish reign, nor by the achievement conflict and intrigue of the Benitez years. Rodgers lack of history with us and track record is his greatest asset. He offers a fresh approach and precious little for the snipers to shoot at- apart from that there is precious little. His managerial status will be defined by what he does with us. He hasn’t put a foot wrong to date.

There is much to admire in Rodgers so far. His assertive statement of authority in his exchange with Ayre at his press conference regarding a DOF was brave. His preparedness to grasp the nettles of the folly of both the Aquilani and Carroll misfires show a man prepared to deal with what was obvious to everyone else anyway. We haven’t scored enough goals, he has brought in a forward, and a goal scoring midfielder, that’s common sense. Allen? All mangers love a voice and an ear in the dressing room and a man who can show and support his methods, further evidence of his pragmatism. His international outlook, his knowledge of Spanish and the Spanish game, and his appreciation through Chelsea and Mourinho of what success looks like in the modern game are huge assets, as are his hands on knowledge of the transfer market

Last season we were without Lucas for almost the entire season, Gerrard for a significant part of it and Suarez for a quarter of the league campaign. Having all three available would boost any team- we will be no exception.

I loved the fact that Rodgers played a full strength side in the EL. As a club we have been defined by our Euro success. The UEFA Cup/EL has proved a fiendishly difficult prize to win for English sides in recent years, Man u and City’s exit in the competition last year reiterated that. An EL win would do much to put us back on track for future CL campaigns.

We had one of the best defences in the league last year, that defence has remained in tact, a huge advantage going into the new season.

Success will not be just down to us, it will be down to others. AVB at Spurs is a big risk, Di Matteo at Chelsea is doomed, Arsenal have just sold their top goal scorer- that could mean the difference between 4th and seventh. It could all just fall in our favour.

FSG, they are solvent, the club has no money worries and with the sacking of Dalglish they have shown determination and resolve, all good qualities.

And there is the opening game of the season at the Hawthorns, a proper ground, and a club steeped in the right sort of football through Astle, Hartford and Brown and the Three Degrees. A football contest with the added spice of taking on Steve Clarke, whom I wish well, I will be there.

The 2012/13 trophies are unengraved, the table is zeroed – come on you Reds!

Great post mate.

Agree with every word.

Thanks xerxes, was looking forward to logging on and reading a post like that. Seems like the season has come on us quite quickly and I'm not exactly sure what to think.

A win tomorrow would really get my excitement levels up. I think we'll do it, 1-0 - Saurez. And I think we'll get 4th.

------------------Reina----------------

Johnson----Skrtel---Agger----Enrique

------------Lucas---------------

----Downing----Allen------

--------Gerrard------------

---Suarez----Borini--------

yeah I'd go with my interpretation of a 4-3-3. Gerrard to play closer to the attackers in this one. Carroll to play some part maybe in the last 20 mins.