You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On 02/08/2020 at 15:15, Kevin D said:

Fantastic MJF promo this week:

That was good.

Never watched AEW but it does seem a bit weird how they’ve tried to brand themselves as fresh & new and then have headliners like Jericho, Moxley, Goldust & Cody Rhodes.

Jericho is always entertaining but he’s 50+ now.

I thought Ambrose was a seriously boring character in WWE, I was quite happy he left. 

I thought Omega was going to be the main guy but isn’t he being treated as a bit of an upper-mid carder?

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Never watched AEW but it does seem a bit weird how they’ve tried to brand themselves as fresh & new and then have headliners like Jericho, Moxley, Goldust & Cody Rhodes.

I thought Ambrose was a seriously boring character in WWE, I was quite happy he left. 

I thought Omega was going to be the main guy but isn’t he being treated as a bit of an upper-mid carder?

The origins can be traced through Being The Elite youtube channel. 4 years ago, Young Bucks started uploading behind the scenes/travelling footage, which turned into light-hearted skits and storylines/catchphrases. They built a tight knit online following alongside live audiences, and featured a number of wrestlers in their videos. Cody Rhodes, left WWE after years of trying to secure success but never hitting the heights in the company.

The popularity grew to the point, Bucks/Cody/Omega agreed a deal with Tony Khan to start AEW. The rise is pretty organic and their show is engages positively with it's audience. WWE struggles in this regard. There was a documentary series on WWE Network charting the history of the Monday Night Wars which emphasised the need for competition; WWE pretty much willed a competitor into existence. It's NXT vs AEW on Wednesday nights, both arguably more watchable than either Raw/Smackdown, however less commercial currently.

In terms of fresh and new; MJF, Jungle Boy Jack Perry, Private Party, Sammy Guevara, Darby Allin are names for the future. There is a lot of talent left in the likes of Jericho, Cage, Omega, Pentagon, Lance Archer. It might not crossover to mainstream viewership like Attitude Era, but it definitely marks a positive change and rise in wrestling spirits. NXT is not to be overlooked either, while branded 'developmental' it's a more serious take on Raw/Smackdown, every pay per view is of a high standard.

25d.gif

• 1 month later...
On 03/08/2020 at 16:47, Scott_M said:

That was good.

AEW is fantastic, but your criticisms are valid. 

Personally, I'll always tune into whatever Jericho does because I just get a massive kick out him and always have. He's hilarious, fantastically quick witted and everything he does means something. 

But Moxley? You're bang on about him. He played it up like his creative genius was being stifled in WWE and in AEW he'd have all the freedom he needed to express himself. What I see is practically the same character, using the exactly same moves who throws a few swears into his promos every once in a while. Meh.

As for Cody, I'm a huge fan of his. I love the statesman role he plays in AEW. That face of the company babyface that it always felt like really good WCW always had, whether it was his arl fella, Flair or Sting. To me he's really proven that he was overlooked in WWE. And without him there wouldn't be an AEW anyway. 

But I'm so with you on Omega. I'm massively disappointed with how he's been used so far. I'm not sure whether he's eased off a bit, but he definitely hasn't had the opportunities to have matches on the level of the ones he had with Okada in New Japan, despite having capable opponents. He's been stuck in the tag division with Hangman Page, who also rules, but that's come to an end now.

I think those WWE guys should just be the supporting cast, using the name value to bring in casual fans and channel hoppers, but mainly used for getting the new breed of guys over; like Omega, the Bucks, Page, Orange Cassidy, MJF, etc. 

Anyway, bottom line is its a really enjoyable pro wrestling show that I look forward to and enjoy every week without fail. It's got good announcing (any time I hear Schiavone it takes me right back), great tag team action without fail, logical story telling and reverence for good wrestling and wrestling history. I haven't been able to say the same about WWE in 15 years. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...