You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Shining

Faustus

Just seen it's on ITV 4 now. Kubrick's most under rated film anybody?

Love watching it as I always find you always pick up something new you hadn't noticed before. Also the one film my secondary school English teacher was adamant was far better than the book it was adapted from.

Shelley Duvall aside in it. She's fucking gash.

Doctor Sleep.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

Just noticed it on a Stephen King website the other day.

I like the film but seem to lose interest as the film progresses, in fact the end is a bit shit.

Indeed. But like most Kubrick fillums, I don't think he was too fussed about whether the actual viewer was enjoying it/understanding it/being entertained/satisfied etc...

Far more concerned in most instances, with his own visions and indulgences.

Good work if you can get it, I say.

Shelley Duvall aside in it. She's fucking gash.

She does her best to ruin it. Ironically, her epic shitness actually adds to the film's most memorable scene.

It also stars an actor by the name of Scatman Crothers. Epic name!

Aparently King disliked the Kubrick version because the book is supposed to document Torrance's descent into madness.

Nicholson however, looked very much like he wanted to beat, stab, rape, main and kill his missus and nipper from the very first scene.

Awesome film. Great direction with typically spartan / clinical Kubrick visuals. Very, very creepy in places too.

One of Jack Nicholson's 3 greatest ever performances.

Aparently King disliked the Kubrick version because the book is supposed to document Torrance's descent into madness.

Nicholson however, looked very much like he wanted to beat, stab, rape, main and kill his missus and nipper from the very first scene.

Awesome film. Great direction with typically spartan / clinical Kubrick visuals. Very, very creepy in places too.

One of Jack Nicholson's 3 greatest ever performances.

And he would have been entitled to do so. It was his idea and story.

Mind you, he'd have needed an actual copy of the book to remind himself of his displeasure. I've heard King claim that he drank so much while at the typewriter writing his books back in those days, that he can't actually remember writing them.

Overall, I recall watching the film on its release as an early teen and finding it exciting, titillating, surprisingly unfrightening and sumptuous in its sparsity. Needless to say, I couldn't have articulated it like that at the time, but that's what I now remember feeling. I haven't watched it again since.

Most underrated? It's possibly his most seen and most widely loved film, considering Full Metal Jacket gets worse as it tries to do more (easily the most overrated considering people's impressions seem to rely on the first act exclusively), no-one watches 2001 anymore and Clockwork Orange was banned for so long and struggles to live up to it's infamy in modern times.

Good film, far from my favourite. But then I'm not much of a fan of his to be honest, Dr Strangelove is head and shoulders above the rest of his work imo.

Guest The Big Green Bastard
Most underrated? It's possibly his most seen and most widely loved film, considering Full Metal Jacket gets worse as it tries to do more (easily the most overrated considering people's impressions seem to rely on the first act exclusively), no-one watches 2001 anymore and Clockwork Orange was banned for so long and struggles to live up to it's infamy in modern times.

Good film, far from my favourite. But then I'm not much of a fan of his to be honest, Dr Strangelove is head and shoulders above the rest of his work imo.

2001 space odyssey takes some beating.

Never mind the post-modern infamy struggle, I just thought Clockwork Orange was a slick, cheeky, pretty good flick.

Spartacus weren't too bad either.

2001 space odyssey takes some beating.

True, Dr Strangelove is one of my favourite, most watched films though. Probably watch it 7-8 times a year.

Skaro, it's a good film certainly - most of Kubrick's stuff is, preferred the book though. Spartacus is ace, never seen Paths to Glory but that's meant to be pretty ace. Barry Lyndon bored me senseless.

True, Dr Strangelove is one of my favourite, most watched films though. Probably watch it 7-8 times a year.

Skaro, it's a good film certainly - most of Kubrick's stuff is, preferred the book though. Spartacus is ace, never seen Paths to Glory but that's meant to be pretty ace. Barry Lyndon bored me senseless.

Haven't read the book. Well worth it?

Guest ShoePiss

Love it, I'm reminded of it often as this place is an hour away from me and I get season passes for Timberline most years.

2354763-timberline-lodge-at-mt-hood-in-snow.jpg

• 6 months later...
  • 8 years later...