You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

34 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I believe there have been studies showing that when touch neurons are activated they can provide some mitigation to pain as they work on the same spinothalamic pathway as sensory neurons. Turns out people rubbing kid's knees when they've grazed them are actually scientists.

Parklife!

• 2 months later...

My neck has been pissing me off lately, I suspect it's a result of lockdown, being hunched over a laptop for ten months, and general inactivity. 

Started getting these really bad pains in the back of my neck travelling up to the base of my head, when I sat on a hard chair or after I'd been driving it'd be excruciating, like I could barely move my jaw to eat or turn my head. 

It's gone loads better over the last couple of weeks but it was bad for about three weeks or so, it's still really weak now and I get the odd bad twinge. Strangely it seems to have affected my sinuses as well. Dunno if it's a posture thing or a being nearly 41 thing. 

I've bought a base to stick my laptop on so I can sit more straight and need to make more of an effort to get out walking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went for a monster walk before and did about 5K more than I usually do on very hilly ground. Got a fucking bad chapped arse now. Going to have to raid the Sudocrem. 

I feel no one in the thread will have a more painful ailment than this for the rest of the year. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Went for a monster walk before and did about 5K more than I usually do on very hilly ground. Got a fucking bad chapped arse now. Going to have to raid the Sudocrem. 

I feel no one in the thread will have a more painful ailment than this for the rest of the year. 

Try wearing clothes next time, it really helps.

• Upvote 5

At the age of 35, and having suffered from ulcerative colitis for 15 years, I've been told I've reached the end of the road with medical treatment. I've had a rough two years of trying different new medicines but ultimately none of them have worked, leading me to have many courses of steroids and to being hospitalised. Over the last 6 months I've been in discussion with my incredible healthcare team and we've decided that the best option is for me to have surgery. So, current pressures permitting, at some point in the next 2-4 months I'll be having my entire large intestine removed.

This is effectively a cure for my condition but it's pretty scary (albeit fairly routine). The hope is that in a year's time my overall health will have improved but, more importantly, my long term way of life will be better, life expectancy longer and the significant risk of bowel cancer will be pretty much removed. They'll be rebuilding my insides so that I don't need an external stoma bag but if I don't take to it then it can be reversed to give me the stoma. Hopefully the new insides will work!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 22

13 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

At the age of 35, and having suffered from ulcerative colitis for 15 years, I've been told I've reached the end of the road with medical treatment. I've had a rough two years of trying different new medicines but ultimately none of them have worked, leading me to have many courses of steroids and to being hospitalised. Over the last 6 months I've been in discussion with my incredible healthcare team and we've decided that the best option is for me to have surgery. So, current pressures permitting, at some point in the next 2-4 months I'll be having my entire large intestine removed.

This is effectively a cure for my condition but it's pretty scary (albeit fairly routine). The hope is that in a year's time my overall health will have improved but, more importantly, my long term way of life will be better, life expectancy longer and the significant risk of bowel cancer will be pretty much removed. They'll be rebuilding my insides so that I don't need an external stoma bag but if I don't take to it then it can be reversed to give me the stoma. Hopefully the new insides will work!

Good for you, Karl. 

Best of luck.

My son was born with Hirschsprung's Disease and had 16 centimetres of "nerveless" bowel removed at two weeks of age.

He's 13yo now and pretty fighting fit, touch wood.

Thanks to this plague, I'm 15 months late for my scheduled colonoscopy.

Anyway, up your bum, as they say down here.

(Hopefully, this greatly reduces your cholera chances too!)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Sister in law had this done a few years back, she had undiagnosed UC, and only found out when surgery was the only option.

rough time, but she is in a good way these days.

best of luck with it, not a massive fan of invasive surgery - ask for loads of the good stuff pain wise.

3 hours ago, skaro said:

Good for you, Karl. 

Best of luck.

My son was born with Hirschsprung's Disease and had 16 centimetres of "nerveless" bowel removed at two weeks of age.

Eh? You must be hanging about with a bad sort mate.

I do have a plumbers USB scope with a fucking long lead if yer can convince yer missus to give yer a hand. 

Non-returnable, mind you.

8 hours ago, Karl_b said:

I've got a relative who had that procedure in her late 30's and it gave her a new lease of life.

She ended up with the stoma, but she still says it's the best thing she's ever done.

Wish you well mate.

On 27/01/2021 at 15:39, Section_31 said:

My neck has been pissing me off lately, I suspect it's a result of lockdown, being hunched over a laptop for ten months, and general inactivity. 

Started getting these really bad pains in the back of my neck travelling up to the base of my head, when I sat on a hard chair or after I'd been driving it'd be excruciating, like I could barely move my jaw to eat or turn my head. 

It's gone loads better over the last couple of weeks but it was bad for about three weeks or so, it's still really weak now and I get the odd bad twinge. Strangely it seems to have affected my sinuses as well. Dunno if it's a posture thing or a being nearly 41 thing. 

I've bought a base to stick my laptop on so I can sit more straight and need to make more of an effort to get out walking. 

Gonna go private over this as it's taking the piss now. Phoned the GP and he said just keep taking Ibuprofen, if it doesn't get better he'll send me to a back clinic but it'll 'take ages'. Great stuff. 

Nearly seven weeks now I've been moving like a pigeon. Every time I think it's on the mend it fucks up again.

9 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Good luck Karlos.

9 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Good luck mate, hope it gives you respite and a new lease of life.

Thanks guys. It was quite cathartic to post it last night, unable to sleep as things were racing through my mind. Other than my wife and immediate family I haven't told anyone yet so I may have been bottling up some anxiety.

Fortunately I'm relatively young, fit and healthy so it's not urgent but it is necessary and that also means I have a good chance of a strong recovery. As my consultant pointed out to me, I've forgotten what "normal" feels like, having had this for so long. I know I'll never be 100% but I'll take a long term 90% over a slow degradation for the rest of my life. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, skaro said:

Good for you, Karl. 

Best of luck.

I've heard of Hirschsprungs so I'm sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear he's doing so well.

Colonoscopies are tremendous fun, absolutely great. And made all the better by the current circumstances. I thoroughly enjoyed the two I've had in the last year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Karl_b said:

I've heard of Hirschsprungs so I'm sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear he's doing so well.

Colonoscopies are tremendous fun, absolutely great. And made all the better by the current circumstances. I thoroughly enjoyed the two I've had in the last year. 

Aye, they nearly weren't gonna let me home when I had one because my heart rate and blood pressure were so high, I didn't have a sedative because I needed to drive home.

"Hey your heart rate is very high?" 

Yeah no shit.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Gonna go private over this as it's taking the piss now. Phoned the GP and he said just keep taking Ibuprofen, if it doesn't get better he'll send me to a back clinic but it'll 'take ages'. Great stuff. 

Nearly seven weeks now I've been moving like a pigeon. Every time I think it's on the mend it fucks up again.

Have you tried seeing a physio mate? A good physio is worth their weight in gold. If you're in Liverpool I can recommend The Physiotherapy Centre on Mather Avenue. Combine that with some stronger painkillers for a while? 

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Have you tried seeing a physio mate? A good physio is worth their weight in gold. If you're in Liverpool I can recommend The Physiotherapy Centre on Mather Avenue. Combine that with some stronger painkillers for a while? 

Cheers pal I'll have a gander. I've never had muscular pain before, not for longer than a week, but then I've never been one for movement.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Cheers pal I'll have a gander. I've never had muscular pain before, not for longer than a week, but then I've never been one for movement.

Might be worth your while seeing a good Osteopath as well. I've had a few back/neck issues and they've always sorted them in 3 or 4 sessions

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Ha I've had a few. The first couple of times I waited on doctors and the NHS and things just got worse. I learned with physical pain/injury just to bite the bullet and pay for a good physio (good being the operative word - a shit physio can make things worse which I've also found). One thing a previous physio said to me was to manage the pain in the first instance - if that means painkillers or anti inflammatories then so be it.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Aye, they nearly weren't gonna let me home when I had one because my heart rate and blood pressure were so high, I didn't have a sedative because I needed to drive home.

"Hey your heart rate is very high?" 

Yeah no shit.

I had to have a camera down my throat as I was having some issues (turned out I had a hiatal hernia) and had the option of being put to sleep for it, but if I did that I’d have to stay in for 2/3 hours after it and probably feel fucked for the rest of the day, or I could stay awake for it and leave as soon as it was over. 

I opted for the latter as I just wanted to get home straight after and read all stuff about it, watched videos etc... so felt prepared and literally as I’m about to go in a nurse tells me there is a 1 in 100 chance or some shit that they’ll nick something with the camera and I’ll have internal bleeding and need an emergency operation so can I sign this piece of paper to say I understand the risk. 

Two minutes later I’m in there with the doctor telling me the most important thing is to keep calm, control my breathing and not worry about anything. Yeah, alright. 

• Upvote 2