You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

CS and bonnie - Did either of you have peak level Covid?

New study on long C is out - it's focused on women during pregnancy and children but it touches on stuff that affects alot of folks.

The researchers used data from the National Institute of Health's Initiative, a project created to determine the long-term effects of Covid in adults and children. Of the 1,503 people who were pregnant in the dataset, 9.3% reported having symptoms six months or more after they were infected. The most common symptom was a feeling of being tired after light physical or mental activity. Some also reported dizziness.

The study paints a clearer picture about who might be more likely to get long Covid.

“Chronic stress is well known to mess up your immune system. Stress tends to stimulate a particularly maladaptive inflammatory response, and there’s a well-known association with chronic stress.”

The research did also find that socioeconomic factors affected long Covid numbers.

“It’s concerning that we had a very high proportion of patients who reported that they were having difficulties paying their bills,” she said. “That raises red flags about what sort of access are people getting to the care that they need.”

48 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

New study on long C is out - it's focused on women during pregnancy and children but it touches on stuff that affects alot of folks.

No bud, had the infection at least once, but it took its usual mild course, week or so feeling like shit, then recovery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/01/2024 at 14:54, Furmedge said:

I'm two weeks into what has been diagnosed as calcific tendonitis in my shoulder.  Had a twinge there for around a year or two and put it down to wear and tear of carrying the kids over the past ten years as they grew up.  Couple of Sundays back I woke up with a pain in the shoulder and attributed it to sleeping funny.  Woke up at 3am Monday morning in incredible pain but being a man didn't do anything about it.  Struggled for a week on painkillers and sleeping on the couch sat upright until the shoulder completely froze and woke up last Sunday through the night in pain that took my breath away, so ended up being dropped off at A&E.  One x-ray later and a large piece of calcium has built up in the shoulder joint which has resulted in my being unable to move my upper arm any more than an inch in any direction.  Now on 500mg Naproxen, 30mg codeine and all the Deep Heat, Deep Freeze and patches you can shake a stick at.

Hospital said I needed to be referred to Orthopedics by my GP who wouldn't refer me until I visited the physio and booked me in yesterday.  Within 5 minutes the physio said I needed cortisone injections with the possibility of keyhole surgery in my shoulder.  Prescribed me more painkillers as I "could be waiting a long time".

Can't drive, working from home and lunch hour walks to clear my head.  Not all bad.

Day 47 and only just been added to the waiting list at Aintree MSK dept.  Bastard Tories.

2 hours ago, littletedwest said:

The grinding my teeth is ridiculous. Tried wearing a mouth guard but either way my jaw is sore every day. Having take ibuprofen all the time.

For everything I've read (a lot) there is no cure.

There is a cure but I'll have to send the boys around.

On 13/02/2024 at 12:41, TheHowieLama said:

The researchers used data from the National Institute of Health's Initiative, a project created to determine the long-term effects of Covid in adults and children. Of the 1,503 people who were pregnant in the dataset, 9.3% reported having symptoms six months or more after they were infected. The most common symptom was a feeling of being tired after light physical or mental activity. Some also reported dizziness.

The study paints a clearer picture about who might be more likely to get long Covid.

“Chronic stress is well known to mess up your immune system. Stress tends to stimulate a particularly maladaptive inflammatory response, and there’s a well-known association with chronic stress.”

The research did also find that socioeconomic factors affected long Covid numbers.

“It’s concerning that we had a very high proportion of patients who reported that they were having difficulties paying their bills,” she said. “That raises red flags about what sort of access are people getting to the care that they need.”

No long issues at all to be honest. 

First confirmed positive was just before the vaccines where being rolled out, and all I got from that was a temp for two days and loss of smell and taste. That last a good month though. 

Last time I had a confirmed case was last July. And similar again, light temp though this time. Never got too high, then had a heavy head cold for 3 days, just a snotty nose. 

The one thing I did have slightly lingering effects of was prolonged headaches for a few weeks after each case. But never had any fatigue issues or cough. 

I've shifted the vid fairly well when I've had it. Thankfully. 

My parents had it at Christmas for their second time as well, my mother is a heavy enough smoker and she had a cough that lingered for two weeks or so, but my dad who never smoked only had a snotty nose for teeth days, the was it. 

I'll be honest, unless I get a temperature, I'm never testing for it again. During the covid period when we all tested at the first sign of any ailment, I must have tested a hundred times, and the only two times i ever tested positive was when I was running a temperature. I know they say the symptoms change, and to be fair, both of mine changed slightly, but the first thing to happen on both occasions was it started with a temperature 

I've had COVID three times. The third time (last Sept) after about a week I started getting pains in my thighs. Even after the COVID cleared up (headache, tiredness etc) I still had the pains. They didn't clear up until about 6 weeks later. They've come and gone since. I lift weights and have my own garage gym, so took a while off, but I definitely feel more fatigued, for longer, after training. 

They still come and go, and they're back again. I'm lying here now and I can feel them sore. 

It's weird, and it's definitely COVID-related. Not sure there's much to be done about it, tbh.

41 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Had a cough for weeks so her mum has just got me a bottle of this (Black Magic). Under the counter stuff from a place in Anfield. The olds ones swear by it. I hope it helps because it’s bloody horrible 

IMG_1448.jpeg

Do they sell snake oil as well? I've run out.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Had a cough for weeks so her mum has just got me a bottle of this (Black Magic). Under the counter stuff from a place in Anfield. The olds ones swear by it. I hope it helps because it’s bloody horrible 

IMG_1448.jpeg

Sure I used to get something like that when I was a kid.

Got covid again. 3rd time. Definitely a lot milder than first two times. I thought it was just a bad cold. As the Mr's is high risk she did a test and was positive. Then I did one and same result.

It's her first time. Interestingly didn't catch it from me when I had it previously. I remember reading that smokers were less likely to catch covid for some reason and she smoked then. Anyway she's fine.

Its hanging on though feel washed up and lethargic rather than really ill. Every day I think " be OK tomorrow " but wake up just the same.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/01/2024 at 14:13, Elite said:

So in other words, you're saying he's a complete wanker that deserves to be dipped in a vat of colonic irrigation waste?

Harsh but fair.

Woah there, I wouldn't say I'm a "complete" wanker, just most of the time.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Managed to put my back out twice in 10 days, both in different spots. First time standing up in the kitchen and second time putting my keks on after taking the kids swimming. 

I'm not new to back pain but thought I had it under control until this double whammy. It really is a twat. Gonna have to go back to physio and see if I can get this sorted once and for all. It's not like it happens when I'm actually doing anything strenuous, almost the opposite.

Anyone else suffer seemingly innocuous back strains?

1 hour ago, johnsusername said:

Managed to put my back out twice in 10 days, both in different spots. First time standing up in the kitchen and second time putting my keks on after taking the kids swimming. 

I'm not new to back pain but thought I had it under control until this double whammy. It really is a twat. Gonna have to go back to physio and see if I can get this sorted once and for all. It's not like it happens when I'm actually doing anything strenuous, almost the opposite.

Anyone else suffer seemingly innocuous back strains?

I just sneezed while I was lying in bed the last time I did mine. Always a bit wary of coughs and sneezes because of that.