You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

14 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've found some Co-Codamol left over from something else last year luckily, I'm just waiting for them to kick in.

The sooner the better. Horrible this.

Do you swim mate? If you do, give it a go. You may not feel like it but it's the best for easing aches and pains.

12 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Do you swim mate? If you do, give it a go. You may not feel like it but it's the best for easing aches and pains.

No mate, not for years. My MS is too advanced. Shame really, I used to enjoy a good swim. Having said that, it's probably a good thing. I don't think the world is ready for the sight of me in a cozzy!.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

I got my test results back this week (required because I need a referral to a Long Covid clinic) and they proved of interest.

The ECG was absolutely fine, as expected.

The latest chest x-ray showed that my lungs have both healed. This is surprising because I still can't take a full breath without feeling pain in my left lung.

The blood tests showed up some anomalies however.

Firstly, a severe deficiency in B12. They tested for pernicious anemia and that was negative, so no need for B12 injections, but I'll be on another 3 tablets per day for the next 6 months at least.

The blood tests also flagged up a deficiency in iron, so that's another 3 tablets each day for the next 6 months, possibly longer.

These recent developments though, I view them as a positive. Since I've been out of hospital I've experienced spells of immediate crushing exhaustion and fatigue, hits me like a ton of bricks and just comes from nowhere.

I've also suffered from breathlessness and the inability to take a full breath. Apparently this could be down to the iron deficiency, not converting my haemoglobin into oxygen efficiently.

Apparently Guinness is a great source of B12 too so I'm ordering a load of West Indian Guinness on today's Asda shopping list, although I doubt it'll come free with my NHS medical exemption card.

Onwards and upwards, these latest developments give me some optimism that I can get back some of that spring in my step and start living again.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I got my test results back this week (required because I need a referral to a Long Covid clinic) and they proved of interest.

The latest chest x-ray showed that my lungs have both healed. This is surprising because I still can't take a full breath without feeling pain in my left lung.

Firstly, a severe deficiency in B12. They tested for pernicious anemia and that was negative, so no need for B12 injections, but I'll be on another 3 tablets per day for the next 6 months at least.

The blood tests also flagged up a deficiency in iron, so that's another 3 tablets each day for the next 6 months, possibly longer.

These recent developments though, I view them as a positive. Since I've been out of hospital I've experienced spells of immediate crushing exhaustion and fatigue, hits me like a ton of bricks and just comes from nowhere.

I've also suffered from breathlessness and the inability to take a full breath. Apparently this could be down to the iron deficiency, not converting my haemoglobin into oxygen efficiently.

Apparently Guinness is a great source of B12 too so I'm ordering a load of West Indian Guinness on today's Asda shopping list, although I doubt it'll come free with my NHS medical exemption card.

Onwards and upwards, these latest developments give me some optimism that I can get back some of that spring in my step and start living again.

Sounds like some answers and better news in this. That’s great, hopefully by spring your steps will have spring. 

• Upvote 1

My ankle and knee joints on my right leg have both decided to call it a day at the same time

For no discernible reason they have both become really fucking painful, very swollen and hot

Can't walk, stand or do anything without fucking loads of tablets.

Normally don't mind getting old but this is shit

2 hours ago, mattyq said:

My ankle and knee joints on my right leg have both decided to call it a day at the same time

For no discernible reason they have both become really fucking painful, very swollen and hot

Can't walk, stand or do anything without fucking loads of tablets.

Normally don't mind getting old but this is shit

Ligament or diabetes.  Either way, get it sorted Matty.  I've done my knee ligaments through my own idiotic behaviour but it fucks everything up.  Got a scan this week.

8 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Positive news Shep. 

• Upvote 1

Went down for my Long Covid fitness test this morning, chatting to the nurse about my earlier B12 results and she said that a normal healthy adult B12 reading is somewhere between 500 and 600, mine is 40!

She said it's a small miracle that I can even drag my arse out of bed. Keep taking the tablets and the Guinness, more blood tests in 3 months then it'll be injections, unless there's a significant improvement.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Went down for my Long Covid fitness test this morning, chatting to the nurse about my earlier B12 results and she said that a normal healthy adult B12 reading is somewhere between 500 and 600, mine is 40!

She said it's a small miracle that I can even drag my arse out of bed. Keep taking the tablets and the Guinness, more blood tests in 3 months then it'll be injections, unless there's a significant improvement.

Any idea why the deficiency? 

• 1 month later...

Bent down to pick up a towel yesterday and put my back out. Fuck sake. 

Gingerly waking around like fucking Quasimodo. Fuck sake. I’d promised Turdsette we’d go and look at bikes for Christmas after school yesterday and I had to use the disability lift to get up and down the stairs in Halfords. 

Fuck sake. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Gingerly waking around like fucking Quasimodo. Fuck sake. I’d promised Turdsette we’d go and look at bikes for Christmas after school yesterday and I had to use the disability lift to get up and down the stairs in Halfords. 

Fuck sake. 

Backs are bastards. 

37 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Fuck sake. 

Tramadol and Kratom cocktail. Maybe a few cans of lager to take the edge off.

17 minutes ago, Elite said:

I thought Kratom was meant be great for pain relief?

It’s a weird thing, man. There’s different strains but people use it for all kinds of shit. 

Depression, pain relief, stimulant, sedative, replacement for alcohol or opioid addiction. I’ve missed a few more that I can’t think of off the top of my head. 

Maybe it’s a placebo or a myth. 

I know that when I’ve used it, it’s been as a stimulant. I’ve only ever tried one of the strains. Like I said, 5g of that stuff is like eight cans of Red Bull.

It’s not something that can get you smashed like a handful of Tramadol, and it’ll do fuck all for my back twinge. 

42 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s a weird thing, man. There’s different strains but people use it for all kinds of shit. 

Depression, pain relief, stimulant, sedative, replacement for alcohol or opioid addiction. I’ve missed a few more that I can’t think of off the top of my head. 

Maybe it’s a placebo or a myth. 

I know that when I’ve used it, it’s been as a stimulant. I’ve only ever tried one of the strains. Like I said, 5g of that stuff is like eight cans of Red Bull.

It’s not something that can get you smashed like a handful of Tramadol, and it’ll do fuck all for my back twinge. 

Sounds pretty shit to be honest.