You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

It took me 15 months to get an MRI on my back, after going back to the GP countless times. The list worked like this:

1. Naproxen

2. Prescription Co-Codomol

3. Tramadol

4. Tramadol

5. Amitriptyline

6. Increased Amitriptyline

7. Mirtazipine (Pain could be linked to mood) it's not.

8. Referred for scan

9. Results, L5 prolapse and L4 bulging disc.

As aforesaid it's taken 15 months to find out the problem and even now the treatment is none existent, so I pay to see my own Oestepath.

3 minutes ago, Elite said:

It took me 15 months to get an MRI on my back, after going back to the GP countless times. The list worked like this:

1. Naproxen

2. Prescription Co-Codomol

3. Tramadol

4. Tramadol

5. Amitriptyline

6. Increased Amitriptyline

7. Mirtazipine (Pain could be linked to mood) it's not.

8. Referred for scan

9. Results, L5 prolapse and L4 bulging disc.

As aforesaid it's taken 15 months to find out the problem and even now the treatment is none existent, so I pay to see my own Oestepath.

It took me five months and a finger up the arse. Then because it had been so long they diagnosed my multiple sclerosis as a trapped nerve. 

Pretty sure you’re fucked, Mook. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It took me five months and a finger up the arse. Then because it had been so long they diagnosed my multiple sclerosis as a trapped nerve. 

Pretty sure you’re fucked, Mook. 

Yep, he's fucked. 

I hope he gets a finger up the arse though, as that could definitely diagnose a shoulder injury.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my first ever operation today, pesky umbilical hernia finally fixed. Full anaesthetic job, nurses were great, looks like a Great White has taken a bite out of my belly though.

Murder sitting up, sitting down, twisting and bending, but had to be done and the 8 weeks off work is a fucking beaut.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Had my first ever operation today, pesky umbilical hernia finally fixed. Full anaesthetic job, nurses were great, looks like a Great White has taken a bite out of my belly though.

Murder sitting up, sitting down, twisting and bending, but had to be done and the 8 weeks off work is a fucking beaut.

8 weeks

Lucky fucker, they were trying to sign me for for work after 4 for mine and had the gall done at the same time. Managed to stretch it to 7

Guest Pistonbroke
7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

All the best, Shep. Take the time given to heal properly mate, hernia's have a nasty habit of returning if you rush things. 

41 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Realistically how long before I can bend and sit up etc pain free?

Depends mate, was the op to mend it a suture or mesh job? Mine was small enough but painful as fuck so just needed suture. Was a week before I felt able to walk around and 4 weeks before i was back at work.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Realistically how long before I can bend and sit up etc pain free?

Honestly couldn't say, mine was a mesh job and as I said my gallbladder was done at the same time via open surgery so I was cut sternum right across bottom of my ribs and I was eating tramadol. 

• 1 month later...

Yeah i've had the old finger up the arse. Nurse was quite nice so what's to complain about. Also i was in incredible pain through a back injury so wasn't really thinking straight anyway. 

Hurt my back in March deadlifting. Had felt a tweak doing bench press but like the hero i am carried on, then onto deadlift again like the hero i am didn't warm up properly and lifted 90kg (would have worked up to 130kg). Pain in the back. A few days of painkillers, thought i'd get back in the gym and work through the pain. Worked for a short while, then didn't. Saw a physio who i'd sure made it worse. Woke up one morning (this was about a month later) barely able to move and when i did move got unreal muscle spasms. Ended up in A&E. They didn't do much bar give me some codeine. Got an emergency appointment with the GP who put me on:

- Diazapam
- Naproxin
- Cocodamol
- Paracetemol

Had to take two weeks off work, done plenty of walking, slept on the living room floor, got a better physio and was pretty much sorted in a week or so. Good physios are worth their weight in gold. 

14 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Yeah i've had the old finger up the arse. Nurse was quite nice so what's to complain about. Also i was in incredible pain through a back injury so wasn't really thinking straight anyway. 

Hurt my back in March deadlifting. Had felt a tweak doing bench press but like the hero i am carried on, then onto deadlift again like the hero i am didn't warm up properly and lifted 90kg (would have worked up to 130kg). Pain in the back. A few days of painkillers, thought i'd get back in the gym and work through the pain. Worked for a short while, then didn't. Saw a physio who i'd sure made it worse. Woke up one morning (this was about a month later) barely able to move and when i did move got unreal muscle spasms. Ended up in A&E. They didn't do much bar give me some codeine. Got an emergency appointment with the GP who put me on:

- Diazapam
- Naproxin
- Cocodamol
- Paracetemol

Had to take two weeks off work, done plenty of walking, slept on the living room floor, got a better physio and was pretty much sorted in a week or so. Good physios are worth their weight in gold. 

You've been very lucky.

I've had ongoing pain for 18 months now, with no signs of improvement.

F**king arthritis. Couple of years to go before I’m 40 but I have hands like my Nan.

had it in joint of index finger in one hand for a couple of years but now got it in both thumbs and joints on little fingers too. Hurts like hell first thing in the morning, can’t even do simple things like turning a door handle. Clears up after a few hours but not after a ritual pulling and clicking and manipulation of the fingers which sounds like a freshly milked bowl of rice crispies. 

Im getting pains in my knee now too after an old cruciate ligament injury which I was told I wouldn’t need surgery but would defo need a knee replacement at some point in my later years. Sounds like snapping bamboo whilst walking down the stairs.

Now also had had three episodes of really dry eyes and swollen eyelids which I’ve been told is rheumatoid arthritis symptom.

worst part is docs aren’t one bit arsed. Just tell me to take paracetamol but it doesn’t help when the thing is at its worst when I wake up. 

5 hours ago, Elite said:

I've done all the McKenzie type ones but what are they?

Not sure about McKenzie, so no idea if they are similar but the ones I'm on about are regarding the Egoscue method of realignment. The theory is most back pain is caused by misalignment and gentle targeted exercises make the spine realign and provide pretty rapid results. 

I've tried them following YouTube videos and it fixed my admittedly minor back pain. I'll try and find you the link, think I've posted it on this thread before somewhere.