You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

15 hours ago, Mook said:

It's murder being really susceptible to the cold isn't it. I've started taking multi vitamins & am looking at my diet for 'superfoods' to help with my immune system.

I feel like I can't go a few weeks without a stinking cold.

I've never had such a bad run of illness as I have for the last 5 months. So desperate that I've been down the health shop for herbal remedies.

On 1/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I've managed to do my back in. It'd be great to have an interesting story associated with this injury, a feat of Herculean strength gone wrong, but instead I've probably just laid funny and been reading on the loo too much.

Went to a chiropractor, paid good money to be beaten up, and it's still knackered.

Keep moving, motion is lotion as they say.

Hurt my back last Thursday in the gym deadlifting. As the day went on i could barely move. But i did, and spent friday, saturday and sunday stretching and moving as much as i could - every hour, if i remembered. I was back in the gym on Tuesday and deadlifted 100kg. 

In the past a back injury would have sidelined me for a few weeks, but it's never as bad as you think. This is a good video: 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody on here had pleurisy before?

I had it last month when I was in hospital & finished my anti-biotics when I got out (a month ago) but my right lung is still sore as fuck when I breathe in. Should I be going back to my GP? They told me it would take me six weeks to recover properly so I don't want to be a drama queen about it but that's about five weeks now.

Edit - just Googled it & it's supposed to last two weeks maximum so I'd best give the doctor a bell.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I had it last month when I was in hospital & finished my anti-biotics when I got out (a month ago) but my right lung is still sore as fuck when I breathe in. Should I be going back to my GP? They told me it would take me six weeks to recover properly so I don't want to be a drama queen about it but that's about five weeks now.

Edit - just Googled it & it's supposed to last two weeks maximum so I'd best give the doctor a bell.

Is the right answer

Anyone heard of ‘student elbow’? 

Can’t remember the correct medical name for it.

Apparently it got the nickname from students leaning on their elbow for long periods of time, popping sacks of fluid in the joint and then developing an infection on the elbow/bone. 

It’s absolute fucking agony and is just like gout but in your elbow. 

It’s excruciating to keep your arm straight or bent, there’s just no release from the intense agony. 

Bastard, bastard thing! 

Painful sore throat at the weekend. Even woke me up a couple of times during the night. Hammered it with throat spracy for a few days.

Jock itch - a rash you get on your uppper / inner thighs, mainly following exercise. Holy shit this was painfully itchy for about 3 days straight. Took about a million antihistamines in 4 days and slathered it in anti-fungal cream. Means i've had to invest in baggy boxer shorts as tighter ones are bad for it. Sexy. 

Back injury - another completely avoidable injury squatting. Hopefully it'll be alright by tomorrow (or at least sunday when i'm back in the gym) but i curse myself for this when it's totally self-inflicted with bad form/lack of concentration.

Walking disaster at the minute.  

48 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Anyone heard of ‘student elbow’? 

Can’t remember the correct medical name for it.

Apparently it got the nickname from students leaning on their elbow for long periods of time, popping sacks of fluid in the joint and then developing an infection on the elbow/bone. 

Sounds like it's their own fault for not sitting up straight

2 hours ago, Mook said:

You've already smashed through the life expectancy barrier up there mate.  You've had a good innings.  Just succumb to it and I'll have first dibs on your record collection.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

You've already smashed through the life expectancy barrier up there mate.  You've had a good innings.  Just succumb to it and I'll have first dibs on your record collection.

I'll pop my CDs in the post this weekend, Stringy.

My missus will be over the fucking Moon getting rid of me & all my music in one go.

Bon Voyage...

• Upvote 1

Been having trouble in both knees. 

Got out the results of double MRI back. 

Severe tricompartmental osteoarthritis, partially torn ACL, and various torn off bits of cartilage in right knee. 

Torn meniscus in left knee. 

Both require surgery. 

Doc prescribed T4’s to help sleep through the pain in the meanwhile. 

Fuck. 

On 1/29/2019 at 11:03 AM, Mook said:

It's murder being really susceptible to the cold isn't it. I've started taking multi vitamins & am looking at my diet for 'superfoods' to help with my immune system.

I feel like I can't go a few weeks without a stinking cold.

The latest science is not favourable towards taking multivitamin/mineral tablets.

I have a lot of respect for Dr. T Colin Campbell, and this lecture is well worth a watch. 

And also Jeff Novick in hs lecture has some good solid nutritional advice on how to put a healthy plate of food together to maximise nutrition the way nature intended

(youtube refuse to allow me to embed it, but dont let that put you off)

In my own search for health, these guys have helped me lose weight, stablise blood sugar and normalise blood pressure.

https://youtu.be/0CdwWliv7Hg

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Someone close has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. He was struggling hard, but now is in treatment... Never really heard of it before, but from what I’ve read is pretty grim. Anyone here familiar with it?

My Dad’s sister was diagnosed with it 25-30 years ago. I see her infrequently, but from what I can gather you either have it relatively short-term (think can still be for years) if in its acute form or indefinitely if in its chronic form. She has the latter, and it’s symptoms seem (to external parties, at least) to be somewhat intermittent, certainly when at their worst.

She has remained in relatively good health with it into her sixties, was always in full employment, busy active family and social life, rarely indicating any sign of her mood or mental health being pulled down etc. However, during a serious exacerbation it leaves her a lot less mobile, massively fatigued and requiring courses of steroids etc to bring back under control.

I think as with many of these things the effect can vary considerably from person to person. Good luck to your mate/family member in getting their head round living with and hopefully mitigating it as much as possible for a decent quality of life.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Someone close has been diagnosed with Pulmonary Sarcoidosis. He was struggling hard, but now is in treatment... Never really heard of it before, but from what I’ve read is pretty grim. Anyone here familiar with it?

Never watch House when it was on?

that was one of Dr House’s favourite diagnoses. 

15 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

My Dad’s sister was diagnosed with it 25-30 years ago. I see her infrequently, but from what I can gather you either have it relatively short-term (think can still be for years) if in its acute form or indefinitely if in its chronic form. She has the latter, and it’s symptoms seem (to external parties, at least) to be somewhat intermittent, certainly when at their worst.

She has remained in relatively good health with it into her sixties, was always in full employment, busy active family and social life, rarely indicating any sign of her mood or mental health being pulled down etc. However, during a serious exacerbation it leaves her a lot less mobile, massively fatigued and requiring courses of steroids etc to bring back under control.

I think as with many of these things the effect can vary considerably from person to person. Good luck to your mate/family member in getting their head round living with and hopefully mitigating it as much as possible for a decent quality of life.

Yeah he’s been given steroids now. He had the cold exacerbating it too. It’s good to hear it’s manageable though. He’s been sent back home which helps put him in good spirits. Thank you for this. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, aRdja said:

Yeah he’s been given steroids now. He had the cold exacerbating it too. It’s good to hear it’s manageable though. He’s been sent back home which helps put him in good spirits. Thank you for this. 

No worries. If it’s any comfort, the first time a person is diagnosed with a condition, it can be quite normal for the exacerbation leading to that to present more severely than may always be the case once they get used to living with it.

You just can’t watch out for early warning signs if you’re flying blind with a problem you didn’t know you had, so it kind of creeps up on you and sometimes ends up being a really nasty bout. Especially given the headwreck of wondering what the fuck’s going on.

Hope it gets a bit easier to manage from here on mate and just drop us a PM if ever needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Lost the filling to one of my back teeth yesterday when I crunched onto a seed in a muesli bar I was eating. Christ, I nearly hit the fucking ceiling the pain shot through me that much. Couldn't talk for 10 minutes while I desperately tried to stop myself from crying.

• 2 weeks later...

Booked in for surgery on my knee March 29. 

The surgeon eon is planning to give it a scope, a scrape, and a cleanup - but will check the integrity of my ACL while he is in there. If it’s weak, he will do a full ACL reconstruction. 

So, basically, when I wake up I will find out if I’m in for a 10 day or 3-6 month recovery period.