You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Being Liverpool

bonesman

As the series has unfolded it has looked more and more like a trailer package for the DVD- available from the Club shop for Christmas.

Overall I am neutral about it. I am not sure that it will appeal to an audience beyond the faithful, there is insufficient happening to do so. And for the faithful it is an amusing distraction but offers no particular insights.

My worst fears have not been realised.

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh ooh called someone out on the next episode not sure if it was Raheem or Luis but it just tells me that Rodgers is Brent.

Pretty sure that was about Raheem showboating against City when he was dancing over the ball. Rodgers said something along the lines of 'you've done fantastic out there but if I see you doing that dancing again you'll be sat next to me on the bench'.

Still dont see anything in those snippets of team talks that imo would motivate players above and beyond the cause.

I think that's all a bit hollywood though isn't it. I remember Guus Hiddink giving an interview about that kind of thing and he said the hardest thing was not getting players up but getting them level headed. He said he had to spend more time calming players who'd wound themselves up into an emotional frenzy to stop them running around like loonies. There's exceptions of course, but it doesn't surprise me to see Rodgers trying to radiate calm, control. determination.

Would be a whole lot easier to watch and endure if we had've been doing better and winning more games.

Just like all fly on the wall documentaries, it's mildly interesting in that it gives a little peek behind the scenes but is in no way truly representative of what really goes on. People are aware of the cameras no matter what they say otherwise.

We had one at my work a few years ago and when I watched it I and many of my colleagues were pissing ourselves at how it was edited and came across! It was like watching something completely different and on "TV", which of course it was!

Still dont see anything in those snippets of team talks that imo would motivate players above and beyond the cause.

I think that's over-rated.

We played great against City. It wasn't because of what he said or didn't say, it was because the players performed to a good level and carried out the manager's tactical instructions.

I'm more concerned about whether he can organise the team and get them performing then whether he's capable of delivering 'Win one for the gipper' speeches.

You can't keep flogging the motivation whip, otherwise it'll mean nothing. These players, as with every sportsman, must have some basic level of competitiveness and it's upto them to tap into it on match day. They are paid a grotesque amount of money for some vary basic requirements, motivation being a given you'd assume.

I don't have to motivate my telly. Id it's bust and doesn't produce the pictures then I buy a new one.

These players lack the will to win, they need to watch rocky before every game or at least be forced to listen to survivor, winning is everything, it needs tattooing on there foreheads. Look at certain other teams and you can see how determined they are, we're often just lack luster we'll strike a loss down to one of those days and things will improve. When we get beat I want to see.. in the words of clubber lang "PAIN".

I've only watched the first two episodes so far, and Yeah I like to watch images of Melwood/Anfield and hear our songs on the telly, anytime!

In honesty though it is a bit of a 'Footballers Wives' episode, but and I use this term very very loosley; without a plot.

The Americans all seem completely unable to conceal their total bafflement at all things FOOTBALL related, and Borini looks like a rabbit in the headlights. There are one or two moments when there isn't cringe alarms going off everywhere, but all in all I'm glad we did it. We had the balls to do it first, no doubt there will be an avalanche of these such shows...

And whats with the fuckin' subtitles?

I think it's partly for the American audience who might not get a strong accent, but more for the lack of clarity in people's speech. There's nothing hard to understand about the strongest scouse accent, but when people mumble and don't enunciate their words then it's hard to hear what they saying. Although I still don't think they're entirely necessary.

I've found the whole series totally pointless really. I started watching because I'm a fan in the hope that there'll be something interesting to see. Now I watch to make sure there's nothing too cringeworthy on!

They picked the worst summer to make this. It was amusing last night how they tried to look ahead to the next episode and the transfer window - it would have been a great episode if we'd signed a superstar on the final day. Likewise with the Europa League, how can they seriously try and big up games against Gomel and Hearts? If they wanted to raise our profile they should have waited until we had a decent team and stuff was actually happening on and off the pitch.

And Dave Kirby is I'm sure a really nice bloke and a good red, but his poems and eulogies are awful, cringeworthy, cliched shite. There's something deeply worrying about people who love football as much as he does, it's just weird.

Just watching the footage of the training sessions and the shots within Melwood got me thinking about all the things they try to replicate from a match situation. Obviously, you can't replicate the crowd or the intensity of the occasion (players will have a laugh in training but need their game faces for matchday), and it's difficult to replicate exactly how opponents will close down space, press our players or use the ball, because in training you won't get players flying into challenges with the same intensity as during a match because of the risk of injury and so on. Watching videos of the opposition can only teach you so much too. There are however, a number of visual tricks that might actually help our players, and they are easy to implement too.

Melwood's training pitches give a sense of space because they are so open. Anfield, or any opposition stadium, will feel much more enclosed in comparison. Part of this is down to the stands and crowds which cannot be replicated in training (unless we have technology to create a Star trek-style Holodeck!) but also because of perimeter walls and advertising hoardings. Why don't they put advertising hoardings around the training pitch too? The club has numerous sponsors, and regularly puts photos of training sessions on the offal, so the extra exposure would be welcome for the sponsor and may help drive up the asking price for other sponsors to become involved with the club precisely because they are getting a higher level of exposure from the club. When a player is looking round the pitch during matches, the hoardings form a significant part of what he sees, and can affect how much he can spot a teammate and how much space he feels there is. It's a minute, almost subconscious thing, but it plays a part.

Secondly, when the players are doing training drills which involve some of them playing as the opposition, why not kit out the two sides in colours that more or less replicate what they'll be seeing come matchday? Again, it is a small visual detail, but one that could help the players in a match situation. This one would be especially useful when preparing for away games where Liverpool have to wear one of their away kits. I'd take it one stage further and have the players actually wear Liverpool kits in training.

Thirdly, if the team is preparing for a home game, I'd put red nets on the goals, and use normal white ones if they are preparing for an upcoming away match. I know the team has been extremely wasteful in front of goal for over a year now, and that the red nets were only installed at Anfield this summer, but if the players see this minor visual change, it could play a small part in helping them settle and show composure during a match situation when they are presented with a chance to score.

All this could be viewed as psychological mumbo jumbo but I don't think it's something that ought to be easily dismissed. The players are obviously doing something right in training that they are struggling to replicate on a matchday, and apart from just getting better players or training better (whatever that is), little things like the above could make a small but significant difference.

I know its tv, but BR does over do it on the makeup, maybe an attempt to make him look, healthier...

It does reek of some drunken guy being pulled out of a pub and given the keys to the club!

If BR hadn't eaten all the pies he might actually end up looking good in this, but he has essentially come from nowhere, and he might find it hard to distance himself from this show in years to come.

I'm now up to date btw, having watched show 5 I am now officially bored shitless of it, it's too drab, I have to assume that it's been sexed up for the camera's, so life in the camp must be pretty dire.

I keep thinking about BR 'Who is he trying to prove it to'? He doesn't seem to me to be 100% believing in what he says. Imo; he knows he is in over his head, he and the club may have agreed that the best way to buy him some time is to leave him short in the market, force him to use the youth, and therefore cannot be blamed until he has spunked our money on his players and they fail. Which grants him one season further-in than the usual model provides, by then everyone has had time to take their hand off it and do what they are paid to do, and we all either like working together or we don't.

I hope as time goes on and various players move on that LFC can remember who it is again, if it is to be with BR then I would be thrilled for him, whoever it is I will be thrilled either way. We used to be known as a club that did not swap managers every other season, we need to get back to that in order to be powerful again. We need to be patient, realistic and realistic.

I keep thinking about BR 'Who is he trying to prove it to'? He doesn't seem to me to be 100% believing in what he says. Imo; he knows he is in over his head, he and the club may have agreed that the best way to buy him some time is to leave him short in the market, force him to use the youth, and therefore cannot be blamed until he has spunked our money on his players and they fail. Which grants him one season further-in than the usual model provides, by then everyone has had time to take their hand off it and do what they are paid to do, and we all either like working together or we don't.

i love you

One of the most striking scenes in last Friday's episode showed the contrast between the team and supporter's buses. On the supporter's bus, there was a great atmosphere, friendship, team spirit and enthusiasm.

On the team bus, there was a bunch of bored looking individuals listening to music on those stupid headphones, all of whom looked like they wished they were some place else!

If they can't even be bothered to speak to each other on the bus, is it any wonder they sometimes look like 11 strangers on the pitch?