You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If you've watched 'The Dark Knight Rises' enter, if you haven't do so immediately.

DanDanShaw

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent film. Really enjoyed it and Nolan has saved Batman after the awful leather-clad bat-nipple-fest that was Batman and Robin nearly destroyed it.

I still think Batman Begins was all-round the best in the series but the other two were extremely close. This one made quite a lot of excellent nods to the Knightfall series and a load of surprises in there too.

The ending was superbly done IMHO.

Congrats Mr Nolan. Man of Steel will be interesting - shame I find Superman an extremely tedious superhero. Will Nolan give him a darker twist?

Coming to this as a casual fan who's not really into this genre of movie, I liked it but preferred the previous Dark Knight with the Joker.

There were scenes I struggled to keep up with, some of the dialogue was actually difficult to hear/understand (thinking Bane especially), and the bit were Bane drops Batman in that mad cave, I couldn't help but think of the Austin Powers spoofs with Doctor Evil and his son Scotty about capturing the good guy and then placing him in an easily escapable situation, not witness him dying but assume it all went to plan.

In the words of Scotty from Austin Powers:

"I have a gun, in my room, you give me five seconds, I'll get it, I'll come back down here, BOOM, I'll blow their brains out!"

Obviously that wouldn't be much of a movie but hey.

8/10

Against much derision and being called a twat I actually thought Heath ledgers joker was quite shit.

I thought he played it well but the film itself has quite a few stagnant parts, particularly the ferry full of citizens / ferry full of criminals.

Every time I watch the Dark Knight I think that part just drags and doesn't really add anything to the film.

Still think Batman Begins is the most complete of an awesome trilogy.

Just got back from watching it a second time and, for me, it's reiterated just how brilliant it us. The writing is just brilliant as when you start to pick things up a second time, you realise how even throwaway lines and seemingly inconsequential exchanges of dialogue and camera shots are integral to the film. There's one in Bain and Batman's final fight and for a second, the camera cuts to Miranda/ Talia just watching on emotionless. Didn't pick up on it first time, but it set the alarm bells ringing second time. Even the kid they showed in the pit- and I'm not sure if this is me looking at it with what I knew second time around, but I could swear there was the slightest of resemblances to Talia there to hint that it was never Bain.

I read Section's assessment of the film on here and I think he's got a great eye for film and telly, but I couldn't disagree more with him here. I think it's an incredibly tight and well-written film and all of those areas of concern he raised are all addressed in the film, either overtly or with great subtlety.

Such a brilliant film.

Didn't think much of it to be honest. Michael Cain wouldn't stop saying "Marster Wayne, Marster Wayne, Marster Wayne, you were only supposed to blow the bladddy doors off". Actually that was probably the best bit. That and the two birds who were in it. Liam Neeson had to pop up didn't he, the fucking gideon.

Massively, massively underwhelmed by it. It went on for absolutely ages, Nolan could have lopped off 20 minutes or so to make it more taut and enjoyable. Bane was hilarious, well his sex-pest voice was anyway, that's if i could actually understand it. The fight scene in the sewers was ruined by me giggling at Batman and Bane's voices. His death (if we assume he died) was soft as well, Catwoman just turning up and blowing him away just didn't seem right.

It looked lovely and it was clearly better than your average film, but definitely the weakest of the trilogy for me. In comparison to say, The Dark Knight, i didn't feel the "wow" factor at all.

I thought it was just about perfect. The only issue was the voice, however I think it makes sense. Wayne speaks normally without the mask but his voice is more gutteral as Batman. Bane is a monster all the time. Is think the mortal danger you thought Batman was in was brilliantly generated particularly as it took hm so long to don the cape again.

Bane was just an absolute beast. I absolutely loved it. Watched on Imax.

Batman begiins and TDKR are pretty close with TDK just a little behind. This is a good thing though. Everyone has a favourite and the fact that there is some good discussion shows that its down to taste rather than quality.

If there is not going to be another one, there was no point in Robin or the Alfred scene. Robin would just have been a cop who related to Wayne/batman and if Wayne is not alive there was just no point (for me) in the cafe scene.

How I read that was that Alfred knew where to find Wayne due to their earlier conversation.

If there is not going to be another one, there was no point in Robin or the Alfred scene. Robin would just have been a cop who related to Wayne/batman and if Wayne is not alive there was just no point (for me) in the cafe scene.

How I read that was that Alfred knew where to find Wayne due to their earlier conversation.

Why was he blubbering at the graveside then though? It's almost as though they shit out of killing him, like they had a test screening and the audience flipped out and they decided to add the scene at the end. Just another thing which, for me, just didn't seem to make sense.

I'm not majorly into Batman comics, but my mate was telling me the story where Bane break's Batman's back features 'another' Batman who takes up the reins - when I saw the trailer for TDKR with that bloke in I thought that was what was going to happen, that perhaps Bale's Batman might be crippled for good and the new guy would finish the fight.

Why was he blubbering at the graveside then though? It's almost as though they shit out of killing him, like they had a test screening and the audience flipped out and they decided to add the scene at the end. Just another thing which, for me, just didn't seem to make sense.

I'm not majorly into Batman comics, but my mate was telling me the story where Bane break's Batman's back features 'another' Batman who takes up the reins - when I saw the trailer for TDKR with that bloke in I thought that was what was going to happen, that perhaps Bale's Batman might be crippled for good and the new guy would finish the fight.

He essentially spent the entire movie blubbering. It was a far cry from the commanding performance he gave in the last outing; a proper consigliere, pragmatic cautioning with the gravitas that comes from experience. The Burma anecdote was beautiful.

In this he was all but screaming "woe is me" before Bane had even done anything impressive - it was more befitting of a badly written female love interest.

He reminded me of Mickey in Rocky III, the first time he saw Clubber Lang.

Edited by Kevin D

Fucking terrible movie, I thought. The trash that counts for entertainment these days...

Every second of it screamed "Sit down and enjoy this, market audience."

Soulless, predictable rubbish. Utterly lacking real quality.

Awful film.

First hour boring.

The rest predictable shit.

Oh look at these mercenaries with automatic weapons, lets charge them with night sticks. It's all right though, as they cant shoot for shit.

Note to self, stop believing all the shit hype around films and going to the cinema. As they are all shit.

Prometheus, New Batman film and Robin Hood. All i've seen in the past five years and all shit.

Heath Ledger made the Dark Night.

Begins was awful and rises is pure unadulterated shit.

Sigh.

Saw it last night.

Initially I was disappointed, felt maybe I'd built this up too much. But thinking about it now, this film is bloody brilliant.

My criticism(s)

1. Bane's voice was awful, I'm not sure what it was like before they fixed the voice but if it was worse/less understandable then that then fuck me.

His voice was fine if there was no action or music going on in the background, but when there was I couldn't understand a word he said!!!

Suppose the cinemas' bass didn't help either, I'll watch it again on Blu Ray in hope it's more understandable.

2. Catwoman/Anne Hathaway - My concerns were confirmed, she was wrong for this role...Catwoman is meant to be a sort of seductive girl, Anne Hathaway has no sex appeal whatsoever.

I'll talk more about the film once I've read other peoples views in this thread.

Saw it last night.

Initially I was disappointed, felt maybe I'd built this up too much. But thinking about it now, this film is bloody brilliant.

My criticism(s)

1. Bane's voice was awful, I'm not sure what it was like before they fixed the voice but if it was worse/less understandable then that then fuck me.

His voice was fine if there was no action or music going on in the background, but when there was I couldn't understand a word he said!!!

Suppose the cinemas' bass didn't help either, I'll watch it again on Blu Ray in hope it's more understandable.

2. Catwoman/Anne Hathaway - My concerns were confirmed, she was wrong for this role...Catwoman is meant to be a sort of seductive girl, Anne Hathaway has no sex appeal whatsoever.

I'll talk more about the film once I've read other peoples views in this thread.

Errr.....

Saw it last night.

Have a listen mate. It was indecipherable nearly in the early prologues.