You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

I will never get the maths of our transfers... I see Chelsea get Hazard for something around £32m who is one of the most gifted young talents out there, who has several great seasons at a top french club and almost 200 caps at highest level already.

We are being linked to Joe Allen, for £15m. A player who just proved himself in a decent Swansea side, and would obv, be a decent player who potentially be a good signing.

But i honestly believe there should be more than £17m apart from Hazard to Allen. Whether it is us who is being cheated, or Hazard was a bargain, i don't know but it doesnt make any sense.

All supporters want us to splash some cash around, but why waste £15m on Allen just because he have had one good season? He has not proven anything yet, and worst case is he will be an expensive squad player. We need key players, who can improve. Not boom or bust signings, who always have a tendency to fucking bust at our club.

And this is not meant to be a rage post, because i actually think Joe Allen can be a good player, and would love to see him at our club, but i don't see how he can be worth £15m. Not by playing one good season for Swansea.

Adam is no youngster, and really can't be expected to develop into a better player. He is what he is. Not good enough. Spearing and Henderson on the other hand, should be guided and fine tuned over time to become fully operational and effective long term squad members, ready to take their place in the all new BrenSys.

Just because he isn't a youngster doesn't mean he can't develop. Remember he had no experience of being in a club at Liverpools level, and have been playing more deeper than he has been used to in Blackpool.

Adam has some very good qualities we easily could use, but we have to use him in the right way. Give him a more free role, and guide him to make the right decisions more of the time. If he first get that right he can be a good playmaker for us, and provide plenty of goals and assist, regardless of his lack of pace.

There must be at least one, maybe more cm on their way out if we sign this lad. Would be a welcome addition in my eyes though!

Agree with this. The list of CMs on our books if/when he arrives is absolutely massive; we simply must shift one or two of them.

I'd like to see Suso added to the list this season as well, so that would mean we could easily sell two CMs without being short of depth. Most likely Aquilani and Spearing, but I'd love to see Adam go instead of one of those two.

I will never get the maths of our transfers... I see Chelsea get Hazard for something around £32m who is one of the most gifted young talents out there, who has several great seasons at a top french club and almost 200 caps at highest level already.

We are being linked to Joe Allen, for £15m. A player who just proved himself in a decent Swansea side, and would obv, be a decent player who potentially be a good signing.

But i honestly believe there should be more than £17m apart from Hazard to Allen. Whether it is us who is being cheated, or Hazard was a bargain, i don't know but it doesnt make any sense.

All supporters want us to splash some cash around, but why waste £15m on Allen just because he have had one good season? He has not proven anything yet, and worst case is he will be an expensive squad player. We need key players, who can improve. Not boom or bust signings, who always have a tendency to fucking bust at our club.

And this is not meant to be a rage post, because i actually think Joe Allen can be a good player, and would love to see him at our club, but i don't see how he can be worth £15m. Not by playing one good season for Swansea.

Welsh tax.

Or Rodgers thinks Allen will be a key player who can improve.

£15 million is a lot though.

Agree with this. The list of CMs on our books if/when he arrives is absolutely massive; we simply must shift one or two of them.

I'd like to see Suso added to the list this season as well, so that would mean we could easily sell two CMs without being short of depth. Most likely Aquilani and Spearing, but I'd love to see Adam go instead of one of those two.

I agree. We simply have way to many players for 3 positions(if we say we play 4-3-3).

We have: Adam, Gerrard, Shelvey, Henderson(could play on the side though, but is best central) Lucas, Spearing, Suso(Who i also would like to see get a run in the first team) Aquilani.(Embarassing if i missed any)

If we sign Joe Allen it will be 9, for 3 positions. So yeah, i guess at least 2 will be going out if we sign Allen. But i don't get the idea of signing Allen if we sell a guy like Aquilani. Then i think money would be better spend elsewhere.

Hazard will be on at least £100k a week more than Allen if we buy him. That is £5.2m a year or £26m over a five year contract - so the difference is not £17m.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Personally, I think there's a much bigger chance of Allen being a success at 15m than Hazard at 35m. I'd take Allen, Borini and Sturridge over Hazard. I think those three would do more than the one signing.

There's a local reporter who, apparently, know what he's talking about when it comes to Swansea, and he says we've put an official bid in for the lad. Really hope it comes off and is one or a couple or three more signings before the season starts.

I agree. We simply have way to many players for 3 positions(if we say we play 4-3-3).

We have: Adam, Gerrard, Shelvey, Henderson(could play on the side though, but is best central) Lucas, Spearing, Suso(Who i also would like to see get a run in the first team) Aquilani.(Embarassing if i missed any)

If we sign Joe Allen it will be 9, for 3 positions. So yeah, i guess at least 2 will be going out if we sign Allen. But i don't get the idea of signing Allen if we sell a guy like Aquilani. Then i think money would be better spend elsewhere.

Can see shelvey and spearing going out on loan and aquilani most definately being sold (at a fucking huge loss) - shelvey needs one more season on loan I reckon.... spearing - not sure he will ever be as good as we need. unfortunate like because i like the lad.

still think 15 million is a lot for allen though... he is good and i reckon has fantastic potential but then again so did henderson.... mind you allen is that much better.

fuck i dont know

keep carroll though

So who makes way for Joe Allen IF we sign him? Adam, Aquilani and Cole are the only ones in that position that I can think of. Shelvey, maybe, but I'd hold onto him.

Still, I'd like to see if we can get a defensive midfielder as cover for Lucas while we're out buying players.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
I'll be gutted if we sign him, because we don't need him - at all.

Our midfield was very poor last season. He's not only a top class young talent, but he's used to the system Rodgers wants to use. Who'd you play as the third midfielder in the 4-3-3? For me, we've needed somebody like him, who can control the pace of our play, since we lost Alonso.

Hazard will be on at least £100k a week more than Allen if we buy him. That is £5.2m a year or £26m over a five year contract - so the difference is not £17m.

I'm sure the figures that where being branded about where £8m a year, which is about £160,000 per week.

Which considering he was only on £30,000 a week at Lille is incredible.

So who makes way for Joe Allen IF we sign him? Adam, Aquilani and Cole are the only ones in that position that I can think of. Shelvey, maybe, but I'd hold onto him.

Still, I'd like to see if we can get a defensive midfielder as cover for Lucas while we're out buying players.

Well, I've noticed a few people talking about "finding the next Hamann" and I do think we need another defensive midfielder, but how do we know Allen can't do it?

Lucas arrived - allegedly - as a "box to box" midfielder, but was so shit at it he changed his game to a pure holding player. Out of neccessity, really.

Didi Hamann was playing in a far more advanced role for Newcastle before Houllier signed him and moved him back.

We don't HAVE to buy a holding midfielder who is currently playing that role.

All you need is tactical discipline, the ability to tackle and pass, brains and bottle.

In an ideal world you'd have a bit of speed, and the ability to get forward when possible and score/ create a few, but the chances of finding a Petit, Vieira, Keane or Souness is probably asking a bit much.

We don't HAVE to buy a holding midfielder who is currently playing that role.

All you need is tactical discipline, the ability to tackle and pass, brains and bottle.

Do you think Shelvey could play that role, for the future and as cover next season?

I think it would be his best chance to make it with us, I don't think he has the pace to play a more advanced role. Sitting in seems to suit him better I think.

We don't need a midfielder? Our midfield last season was one of the worst in the Premiership.

Our wide players were the worst in the premiership.

I think we need a midfielder, so i'm not disagreeing with you. I think he'll be good for us but £15m for Allen?! You have to be kidding. Borini, who is at a similar stage in his career (almost identical), cost us £7.9m. How does that add up?

If we have no outgoing sales, it seems that we will end up with Borini, Allen, Dempsey. What a depressing window if thats the case.

It seems the idea will be to keep possession for long spells and close down from the front quickly if we loose the ball. I don't think we need a Mascherano type for that style of football.

Lucas,Gerrard,Allen and Henderson could all play as the deeper 2 of three midfielders.

I'd be happy enough with them four Shelvey and Suso.

We need wide players before anyone else. I don't see the point of Dempsey with the players we have.Adam,Cole and Aqualani should all be moved on.

Our wide players were the worst in the premiership.

I think we need a midfielder, so i'm not disagreeing with you. I think he'll be good for us but £15m for Allen?! You have to be kidding. Borini, who is at a similar stage in his career (almost identical), cost us £7.9m. How does that add up?

If we have no outgoing sales, it seems that we will end up with Borini, Allen, Dempsey. What a depressing window if thats the case.

I'm not saying Dempsey, Allen and Borini are great - although they will immediately improve the first team if they ensure Adam, Spearing, Hendwerson and Downing don't play - but I think we have to be realistic and accept that getting those three is about the best we can expect, and I'd almost be resigned to gettingonly two major additions.

It seems the idea will be to keep possession for long spells and close down from the front quickly if we loose the ball. I don't think we need a Mascherano type for that style of football.

Lucas,Gerrard,Allen and Henderson could all play as the deeper 2 of three midfielders.

I'd be happy enough with them four Shelvey and Suso.

We need wide players before anyone else. I don't see the point of Dempsey with the players we have.Adam,Cole and Aqualani should all be moved on.

A Mascherano type? Er, I don't understand. He's a good player and would walk into our first team and improve it, given that he's a far better player than Lucas, Adam, Henderson or Allen.

If you're talking "like for like" defensive midfielders who don't contribute to our forward play in any way, well, he's better than Lucas, who is exactly that.

Our midfield was very poor last season. He's not only a top class young talent, but he's used to the system Rodgers wants to use. Who'd you play as the third midfielder in the 4-3-3? For me, we've needed somebody like him, who can control the pace of our play, since we lost Alonso.

You don't think a goal scoring midfielder is a bigger priority?

A Mascherano type? Er, I don't understand. He's a good player and would walk into our first team and improve it, given that he's a far better player than Lucas, Adam, Henderson or Allen.

If you're talking "like for like" defensive midfielders who don't contribute to our forward play in any way, well, he's better than Lucas, who is exactly that.

Yes I'm taking out and out defender.

I agree he is better than Lucas but while we have him here and plenty of more important positions to fill I hope we stick with what we have.

I'm not saying Dempsey, Allen and Borini are great - although they will immediately improve the first team if they ensure Adam, Spearing, Hendwerson and Downing don't play - but I think we have to be realistic and accept that getting those three is about the best we can expect, and I'd almost be resigned to gettingonly two major additions.

I see your point but why is that realistic? For the next five years will we be buying like a mid table club and just accept it because we have to be realistic?

They will improve us. But marginally. For the approximate £20-25m we'll spend on Dempsey and Allen, we would find tons better quality abroad. There is no value here.