You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Sell Adam and keep Henderson and give him time to come off the bench for Gerrard and show what he can do.

Henderson in this system could really thrive but he needs to be given time and people need to realise he was a 21 year old who was bought for a fortune then played as a makeshift.

Adam is a small fish who doesn''t like being in a big pond. Prove me wrong, please! Same goes for Downing.

Yeah, I'd probably keep Henderson too ahead of Adam.

I reckon his ability to get around the pitch means he could do a job in any of the midfield three positions. Adam would score more goals though I think if he was in the "Gerrard" position, so it depends how Rodgers sees it.

Yeah, I'd probably keep Henderson too ahead of Adam.

I reckon his ability to get around the pitch means he could do a job in any of the midfield three positions. Adam would score more goals though I think if he was in the "Gerrard" position, so it depends how Rodgers sees it.

I think there are goals in Henderson but he needs to get over this idea that he's not good enough to play for Liverpool. Towards the end of last season he started to find his feet. The talent is there and he's a much more talented player than Charlie Adam but the question is will continue to believe in himself and grow like great players do or will he be more of the shrinking violet he was in the first half of the season.

I don't care what people say, I see a very special player in there but it wouldn't be the first time that nothing has come of such talent. Time will tell.

I think there are goals in Henderson but he needs to get over this idea that he's not good enough to play for Liverpool. Towards the end of last season he started to find his feet. The talent is there and he's a much more talented player than Charlie Adam but the question is will continue to believe in himself and grow like great players do or will he be more of the shrinking violet he was in the first half of the season.

I don't care what people say, I see a very special player in there but it wouldn't be the first time that nothing has come of such talent. Time will tell.

I like Henderson and really hopes he becomes a big player for us (albeit this is based more on his Sunderland form than his form for us so far) however I have to question the bit in bold, apart from the Chelsea game at Anfield I think he went more into his shell as the season went on, its definately a confidence thing, for England u21s he usually plays the Xabi role when I watch them and the difference in the stuff he is willing to try is amazing and I can only assume it is because he believes he is a big part and the best player in that side, hopefully having spent a year with us as well as the experience of going to the Euro's has given him a bit more self belief and he'll flourish this year and we'll see more performances like his sub appearance at home to Scum

I like Henderson and really hopes he becomes a big player for us (albeit this is based more on his Sunderland form than his form for us so far) however I have to question the bit in bold, apart from the Chelsea game at Anfield I think he went more into his shell as the season went on, its definately a confidence thing, for England u21s he usually plays the Xabi role when I watch them and the difference in the stuff he is willing to try is amazing and I can only assume it is because he believes he is a big part and the best player in that side, hopefully having spent a year with us as well as the experience of going to the Euro's has given him a bit more self belief and he'll flourish this year and we'll see more performances like his sub appearance at home to Scum

To be honest I was talking about both Chelsea games and the Fulham games. He just seemed to want the ball more, his movement was better and his passing much crisper.

Was chatting to fella next to me at the match last night and we both agreed that Allen didn't particularly stand out when we played Swansea but nor did any particular Swans player. Rodgers is an advocate of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts which is the way the best Liverpool teams have always functioned.

Allen is seen by Rodgers as a ready made component who is familiar with his methods.

I am a bit worried that we are paying over the odds again for a British player when there are sure to be cheaper overseas equivalents available but if he proves to be a catalyst for the type of football Rodgers wants to play (positive signs of which were evident last night) then it may prove a wise move in hindsight.

Was chatting to fella next to me at the match last night and we both agreed that Allen didn't particularly stand out when we played Swansea but nor did any particular Swans player. Rodgers is an advocate of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts which is the way the best Liverpool teams have always functioned.

Allen is seen by Rodgers as a ready made component who is familiar with his methods.

I am a bit worried that we are paying over the odds again for a British player when there are sure to be cheaper overseas equivalents available but if he proves to be a catalyst for the type of football Rodgers wants to play (positive signs of which were evident last night) then it may prove a wise move in hindsight.

I disagree, i thought he stuck out for Swansea. There were a few of us on this site talking about how impressive he looked even in the first few weeks of last season.

I know what you mean though, in terms of goals, skills, assists, no he doesn't make a name for himself. He's a great footballer though in terms of controlling his part of the pitch and making himself available for a pass. His workrate is through the roof, he's like Suarez, just constantly buzzing in and out of opposition. That stuck out when watching Swansea, he was the glue that bound that team together, and Leon Britton to a lesser extent but bizarrely Britton seemed to get more plaudits.

Football, in essence, is a very simple game. Hard work and stamina is a massive part of the game, though people seem to think it isn't. But it's exactly what Barca and Bilbao are built on, running hard but running smart. Close down players, that means working fucking hard. Keep up with play and make yourself available for a return pass, that means working fucking hard. Players should be exhausted at the end of games, if you're not then you've short-changed the team somewhere, there's always work to be done either in defence or attack.

Suarez has always done this, and that;s why he always looks fucking exceptional and is always involved in play. There just isnt the same determination from some players to do that, even Gerrard is guilty of it. He could work harder and he'd be a much better player for it.

I disagree, i thought he stuck out for Swansea. There were a few of us on this site talking about how impressive he looked even in the first few weeks of last season.

I know what you mean though, in terms of goals, skills, assists, no he doesn't make a name for himself. He's a great footballer though in terms of controlling his part of the pitch and making himself available for a pass. His workrate is through the roof, he's like Suarez, just constantly buzzing in and out of opposition. That stuck out when watching Swansea, he was the glue that bound that team together, and Leon Britton to a lesser extent but bizarrely Britton seemed to get more plaudits.

Football, in essence, is a very simple game. Hard work and stamina is a massive part of the game, though people seem to think it isn't. But it's exactly what Barca and Bilbao are built on, running hard but running smart. Close down players, that means working fucking hard. Keep up with play and make yourself available for a return pass, that means working fucking hard. Players should be exhausted at the end of games, if you're not then you've short-changed the team somewhere, there's always work to be done either in defence or attack.

Suarez has always done this, and that;s why he always looks fucking exceptional and is always involved in play. There just isnt the same determination from some players to do that, even Gerrard is guilty of it. He could work harder and he'd be a much better player for it.

[YOUTUBE]s5LTGW7CBEM[/YOUTUBE]

Very true

Or maybe he rates both but realises M'vila is not what we need and would probably be nearly 10m more expensive than Allen? The only way we'd buy M'vila is if we were selling Lucas.

I'm not on either side of this discussion, as I haven't really seen enough of either to have an opinion of who is the better of the two, but when it was reported that Arsenal were interested in M'Vila, the asking price was stated as 'only' £17-18m, which surprised me. Only press reports though, so don't know how true.

I'm happy with either.

I'm not on either side of this discussion, as I haven't really seen enough of either to have an opinion of who is the better of the two, but when it was reported that Arsenal were interested in M'Vila, the asking price was stated as 'only' £17-18m, which surprised me. Only press reports though, so don't know how true.

I'm happy with either.

Apparently Wenger went cold on M'Vila when reports of a terrible attitude started to surface.

Apparently Wenger went cold on M'Vila when reports of a terrible attitude started to surface.

I think I read that he beat up some young lad.

Should probably have said that whilst the transfer fees might not be too different, M'Vila's wages would probably be higher I would have thought.

I think I read that he beat up some young lad.

Should probably have said that whilst the transfer fees might not be too different, M'Vila's wages would probably be higher I would have thought.

gulftoday.ae | M’Vila and Arfa axed for bad behaviour

Didier Deschamps on Thursday left out Yann M’Vila and Hatem Ben Arfa from his first squad as France manager, explaining that they were not selected because of discipline issues during Euro 2012.

To be honest it doesn't matter what any of us fans think - I still think Clough was stuipid to make Trevor Francis the first £1million pound footballer but then Francis went on to Win the European Cup for Clough so that meant he was right.

The point I'm trying to make is that the only value of a player that is important is the value that any manager would be willing to go to to purchase the player. clough thought £1 Mill was right for Francis. Dalglish thought £35 Mill was right for Carroll, The Chelsea guy thought £50 Mill was right for Torres, Rodgers appears to think £15 Mill is right for Allen. I think £3.00 is fucking robbery for a pint but I still pay it when I have to.

To be honest it doesn't matter what any of us fans think - I still think Clough was stuipid to make Trevor Francis the first £1million pound footballer but then Francis went on to Win the European Cup for Clough so that meant he was right.

The point I'm trying to make is that the only value of a player that is important is the value that any manager would be willing to go to to purchase the player. clough thought £1 Mill was right for Francis. Dalglish thought £35 Mill was right for Carroll, The Chelsea guy thought £50 Mill was right for Torres, Rodgers appears to think £15 Mill is right for Allen. I think £3.00 is fucking robbery for a pint but I still pay it when I have to.

Very well put. Always makes me laugh when I hear 'experts' talk about this player is only worth such and such etc.

Been left out the French squad aswell.

Seems to have a right attitude problem.

Personally I think Etienne Capoue (who is included in the squad for the first time) is a much better player, and I really don't understand the hype surrounding M'Vila (he's quality, but I don't think he'll ever be top class).