You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Guest San Don
Sorry, but the idea of a ban on Rogers approaching any of their players for 12 months is a bit unfair if you are prepared to accept approaches from other clubs! If your worry was that Rogers would return and gut your squad then by all means try to stop that, but if other clubs can express an interest then I don't see why we can't.

If you ain't selling him. Then that goes for everyone.

As I understand it from what Rodgers says, LFC cannot ask swansea for a player for 12 months EXCEPT if swansea are talking to other clubs about a sale. Then, LFC can also bid for the player.

Spurs have made a bid for Allen so, LFC can also make a bid according to the agreement. Frankly, I dont know what swansea are moaning at except to try and make a point against big, bad Liverpool.

By all acounts (the media) we could not approach Swansea unless another team has made an offer, so if they have admitted another team has been on contact what the fucking hell are they complaining about?

Edit; Sorry San didn't see your post, yes that is how I read it as well!

Guest San Don
By all acounts (the media) we could not approach Swansea unless another team has made an offer, so if they have admitted another team has been on contact what the fucking hell are they complaining about?

Exactly.

From what i heard. We could ONLY match the offer from other clubs once they had made an offical bid. But im sure you can not leagally just have a clause which says you cant buy players? Surly its just some sort of gentlemans agreement.

Kinda shit from Swansea laying the blame at our feet, i reckon his agent is just doing his job and made us aware that other clubs are ready to pay the £15 million for his client.

I hardly know a thing about him, but whoever it was, im not sure paying that amount on a position we are already bursting at the seams at, is the best option.

Kinda shit from Swansea laying the blame at our feet, i reckon his agent is just doing his job and made us aware that other clubs are ready to pay the £15 million for his client.

I hardly know a thing about him, but whoever it was, im not sure paying that amount on a position we are already bursting at the seams at, is the best option.

According to the media that £15m clause was only if we, United, City, Chelsea or Arsenal approached Swansea, Tottenham were not privi to the same clause and could technically bid less. I think that is what is pissing them off, we know Tottenham are in the hunt and figure that we ain't paying the 15m if Tottenham could in theory bid less, and steal a march on us.

I'd say they are pissed as details of his contract have been leaked such as a buyout clause and considering we tried to use what Rodgers knew of Gylfi's wages and take advantage. They may well see us as responsible, although the big winner in Allen moving would be his agent, so it would be in his interest for the player to move or get a wage increase.

I'd say the 12month things is more for their fans who would be pissed to see a manager and player plus another potential signing (Gylfi) fucked up involving Rodgers. So a bit of playing to the gallery regarding that.

Joe Allen is also another United fan like Gylfi they are after a midfielder aren't they, maybe they will enter the bidding if they cant get their first choice.

Manchester United fan Joe Allen relishing Old Trafford dream - Football News - Football - WalesOnline

I have nothing against them protecting their team from being gutted, I do have a problem if they admit that they have been approached by other clubs and still feel it necessary to get snotty about us then approaching the player. Rogers let Siggurdson decide and he decided not to go to Swansea so I don't see how they are pissed of.

He is either for sale or he isn't. If he isn't then a. Don't have a clause in the contract and B. don't admit that other clubs have been in contact, dismiss any talk of him leaving.

I'd say they are pissed as details of his contract have been leaked such as a buyout clause and considering we tried to use what Rodgers knew of Gylfi's wages and take advantage. They may well see us as responsible, although the big winner in Allen moving would be his agent, so it would be in his interest for the player to move or get a wage increase.

I'd say the 12month things is more for their fans who would be pissed to see a manager and player plus another potential signing (Gylfi) fucked up involving Rodgers. So a bit of playing to the gallery regarding that.

Joe Allen is also another United fan like Gylfi they are after a midfielder aren't they, maybe they will enter the bidding if they cant get their first choice.

Manchester United fan Joe Allen relishing Old Trafford dream - Football News - Football - WalesOnline

Yuk! Abort!! Abort!!

I also think that Brendan Rodgers IS a gentleman and an honourable man, as evidenced by his stance when Sigurdsson became available. If he's bidding for Allen it's because he genuinely believes he's not reneging on his agreement with Jenkins. I agree with other posters that Swansea are playing to the gallery and playing the victim in order to assuage their fans' anger.

In football it is best to assume there is no honour, unless otherwise stated.

The nuances of agreements and clauses are as they may be, but if Allen fancies playing for Liverpool and Rodgers wants a voice in the dressing room, then if the money is right it will happen.

A more pertinent question is that we can already pretty much field a full team of midfielders. Is that really the best place to be spending £15m? Is Allen really better than Cole and AA who are already on the books?

I suspect that this has more to do with Rodger’s desire to get a man in the camp ( most managers do it) than our need for a midfielder.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
In football it is best to assume there is no honour, unless otherwise stated.

The nuances of agreements and clauses are as they may be, but if Allen fancies playing for Liverpool and Rodgers wants a voice in the dressing room, then if the money is right it will happen.

A more pertinent question is that we can already pretty much field a full team of midfielders. Is that really the best place to be spending £15m? Is Allen really better than Cole and AA who are already on the books?

I suspect that this has more to do with Rodger’s desire to get a man in the camp ( most managers do it) than our need for a midfielder.

I agree with you assessment that 'if the money is right', but I think we need at least one, but maybe two (or three, if we intend to win the league) midfielders. It's not quantity, but quality that we lack.

He'd be the only one who can control the tempo and dictate play.

Somehow I see Joe Cole playing as one of the front three. He'd be pretty useless in a midfield 3. AA is potentially an option, but he doesn't want to be here.

I'd pay £15m for Allen no probs, he'd walk into our first team. But we do need to dump a couple of other midfielders (looking at you Charlie).

So let's get this straight - Teams according to Allen's contract (not named Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Liverpool) can make a bid for, let's say 12M, for the player? But if we make a bid of 15M or more, they won't accept it? Is that right?

So let's get this straight - Teams according to Allen's contract (not named Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea, or Liverpool) can make a bid for, let's say 12M, for the player? But if we make a bid of 15M or more, they won't accept it? Is that right?

No you got it wrong.

They wont accept it had anyone else did not make a bid.

Once another club did make a bid, that means the player is up for grabs.

Once that happens then Liverpool can bid 15million for him, which then activates the clause on the players contract.

Let me break it down:

IF: (Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs) bid,

THEN: (ACTIVATE Liverpool Bid)

IF: (Liverpool) bid => 15million, SELL

ELSE IF: (Liverpool) bid <=15million, sell to (Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs)

END IF STATEMENT

END QUERY

My understanding is that if another "top five" team makes a bid, we are then allowed to bid also and he has a £15 million release clause. Those 2 things aren't related though but essentially, we'll probably have to pay £15 million.

My understanding is that Swansea are being whining little bitches, playing the old soldier to the ever gleefull gallery that is the English Media.

Rogers would know what the clause was, so hardly been leaked to Liverpool and we are the one team that don't gain from letting the public know that Spurs do not have to bid £15m! What constitutes an offer, did it have to be accepted by Swansea before we could act?

My understanding is that if another "top five" team makes a bid, we are then allowed to bid also and he has a £15 million release clause. Those 2 things aren't related though but essentially, we'll probably have to pay £15 million.

It is, based on Rodgers agreement with Swansea he cant go back for any players that is not up for sale, Britton for example.

If we bend the rules a bit, then we can say that we are bidding for a player that is up for sale.

Guest davelfc

You'd think that if Allen is important to Rodger's plans that this might have come up when someone initially mentioned a clause. Maybe if we had a net that didn't just extend to players he knew it wouldn't be an issue.

No you got it wrong.

They wont accept it had anyone else did not make a bid.

Once another club did make a bid, that means the player is up for grabs.

Once that happens then Liverpool can bid 15million for him, which then activates the clause on the players contract.

Let me break it down:

IF: (Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs) bid,

THEN: (ACTIVATE Liverpool Bid)

IF: (Liverpool) bid => 15million, SELL

ELSE IF: (Liverpool) bid <=15million, sell to (Arsenal, Chelsea + Spurs)

END IF STATEMENT

END QUERY

HELLO WORLD