You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Granted he was coming from a low base, but I thought Allen was much improved yesterday, with the exception of being caught badly in possession once in the second half.

Zipped the ball around well and generally made the best available pass quickly.

Still a long way to go, but I thought he finally showed a bit of the form he displayed early last season.

Anyway back on planet earth, i agree with Numero about Allen against City.

It was a superb performance because he was playing against Yaya Toure and a team that cost millions to assemble. littered with stars and talent. For Allen to play the way he did that day in such a big game against such big players was superb.

After seeing Allen boss Diame, I think it would be daft. If we are buying somebody, they should be a few levels above Diame.

Last season people were saying Diame bossed Allen.  

I don't want Diame and didn't when everyone wanted him last summer.  He's a very different player to Allen though, wouldn't say either are better - just different.

We need a few levels above Allen and Diame though, agree with you there!

Last season people were saying Diame bossed Allen.  

I don't want Diame and didn't when everyone wanted him last summer.  He's a very different player to Allen though, wouldn't say either are better - just different.

We need a few levels above Allen and Diame though, agree with you there!

No one bar the the club knew about Allens shoulder injury when we last played west ham, it was kept secret to protect the player and not give the opposition information about one of our players weaknesses, but you know that really, don't you?

Talk of compering him with Diame is madness, Allen will go on and prove himself to be a far superior player. He's also a much better player and better suited to liverpool than Charlie Adam, Christian Poulsen or Joe Cole who were all earning a living out of liverpool football club playing in midfield before Allen arrived.

As for the upgrade on Allen, as long as Brendan Rodgers is manager of Liverpool fc Joe Allen will almost certainly stay a liverpool player, which i personally am more than happy with.

Diame seems like the type of player you bring on with ten minutes to go to 'beef up the midfield' He's had 5 seasons in England and though I admit I haven't seen much of him, whenever I have seen him I've never thought him as someone we need or someone I'd pay anything over a couple of million for. 

Allen is a good player with potential to be a very good player. I hope he stays in the side until January but I hope we buy some midfielders in January too. 

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Allen is several steps up. Sometimes people can't see the class of a player, whether through choice or ignorance. Diame is not a classy player, even if he could add something to our midfield. If he did play for us, it'd be at the expense of Lucas.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Allen's quality, you'll all end up eating your words.

I actually don't think there are many who will. Most seem firmly on board.

He'll get a run in the side now with Gerrard out.  It's his chance to step up and after doing nothing for a year, one he'll need to take.  West Ham & Norwich are a bit shit, we've dominated small teams at home under Brendan no matter what midfield plays.  Lets see what happens now against Spurs, Chelsea and City.

Allen and Lucas are still the two that should be fearful for their places if the midfield reinforcements arrive that most would agree on is needed.

• Upvote 1

As for the upgrade on Allen, as long as Brendan Rodgers is manager of Liverpool fc Joe Allen will almost certainly stay a liverpool player, which i personally am more than happy with.

You don't know that.

If he doesn't perform he won't, if he does he will.

It is up to Allen.

He'll get a run in the side now with Gerrard out.  It's his chance to step up and after doing nothing for a year, one he'll need to take.  West Ham & Norwich are a bit shit, we've dominated small teams at home under Brendan no matter what midfield plays.  Lets see what happens now against Spurs, Chelsea and City.

Allen and Lucas are still the two that should be fearful for their places if the midfield reinforcements arrive that most would agree on is needed.

We didnt dominate Hulls midfield last week, or Swanseas or Southamptons or a few others.

After seeing Allen boss Diame, I think it would be daft. If we are buying somebody, they should be a few levels above Diame.

I saw it the other way round for large parts of the game.

Allen doesnt boss anybody,his game is based on short passing and quick dribbling in tight areas. Which he is beginning to do well again but still needs to improve.

Sometimes people see what they want to see on a football pitch because they are ready to scrutinize a player they don't really rate.

Diame did not boss Allen at any point on Saturday. He couldn't even get near him and Allen crunched him a fair few times as well.

He bossed him.