You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Joe Allen thread

MLB

Guest Numero Veinticinco
can someone describe what sort of player allen is for me by comparing him with another player past or present.

Lots of people compare him to Xavi. He's not the same, but he's young yet. He's quicker than Xavi, but Xavi is incredible. He understands the game brilliantly and is one of the reasons Barca are so sharp in attack. He knows how to create space, control the temp and his vision is amazing. Allen has a lot of the same attributes but, as you'd expect, he has more learning to do in that regard.

Lots of people compare him to Xavi. He's not the same, but he's young yet. He's quicker than Xavi, but Xavi is incredible. He understands the game brilliantly and is one of the reasons Barca are so sharp in attack. He knows how to create space, control the temp and his vision is amazing. Allen has a lot of the same attributes but, as you'd expect, he has more learning to do in that regard.

doesn't get any better than that.

get him in.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Can we look at players who are like Joe Allen, not named Joe Allen?

Jordy Clasie. He's going to be brilliant.

Guest ShoePiss

I've not seen anything from this player that suggests he's currently worth £15m, I hope we're getting him for less than that.

In the same way people used to compare Danny Murphy with Zidane?

I must admit I hadn't even heard of him until last season, and I didn't see him play much even then, because I didn't exactly watch that much of Swansea. From what I have seen, he looks a tidy player but I haven't seen enough to make me think we're looking at a player worth anywhere near what the supposed clause values him at. On that basis I really hope Rodgers isn't basing all his plans on signing and having Allen available to him because if we end up signing him, not only will we pay well over the odds, but he may well struggle to make the impact expect of him, or he'll get a bad injury meaning we have to rely on others instead. Because that's what usually happens with us.

He's not crocked

Murphy was 'the new platini' according to Ged

he's probably worth 10m so if we offer that with it rising to £15m on the premise we do well, i'll be happy enough

So blowing £25m on Borini and Allen and you'll be happy

You must be easily fuckin pleased

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So blowing £25m on Borini and Allen and you'll be happy

You must be easily fuckin pleased

Two young, very talented prospects for little more than the price of Downing... Yeah, I'll take that.

What if, instead, we got Joe Allen to change his name. To Gylfi Sigurdsson, perhaps, to confuse them.

Perhaps we could get Joe Allen to change his name to Gaston Ramirez, which confuses everyone once he reveals he's actually not Uruguayan.

Just got back from Old Toilet, paid special attention to Allen tonight and was pretty impressed by how he played, it really did remind me of alonso, always asking for the ball of the back 4, decent range of passing and mostly looking to move it forward. I know £15m seems steep but i think we'd get 2 things for a our money, a very promising talent and a player who already knows Rogers style and can help others adapt to it quicker. Id rather see him the squad then Adam.