You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

TLW Guitarists

firemarshall

5 minutes ago, nimrod said:

I bought a Les Paul in Richmond Virginia whilst on holiday. I was really just browsing and got a phone call to say the wife had been taken to the local hospital with suspected heart attack, I had to go quick. I happened to be fondling this LP so I plugged in to a huge Marshall amp and played a few licks around the 12 fth  fret, what a bluesy sound. I bought it and shot to the hospital, she was OK. I've never regretted  the purchase.

Ha ha, that's brilliant.

Your wife had a heart attack & you played some blues licks & bought a Les Paul before sauntering off to the hospital.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nimrod said:

I bought a Les Paul in Richmond Virginia whilst on holiday. I was really just browsing and got a phone call to say the wife had been taken to the local hospital with suspected heart attack, I had to go quick. I happened to be fondling this LP so I plugged in to a huge Marshall amp and played a few licks around the 12 fth  fret, what a bluesy sound. I bought it and shot to the hospital, she was OK. I've never regretted  the purchase.

One of the greats is this.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

But now his baby done gone left him...

No, she's still around I'm glad to say, though she does't like my playing much, she's more into the classical stuff. I have to wait till she goes out before I crank it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY9Eb0tZZkA

6 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Iro Gibson Les Paul, my advice is to play a LOT of them before you buy. Gibson's QC is horrific, you can pay a hell of a lot for a really shoddy instrument.

On Les Pauls, unless you can afford a vintage one I would swerve Gibson entirely.

Epiphone made a model called the Custom Pro - got mine for around 350 usd - much better than Gibsons costing three times as much.

ESP makes Edwards LP's and a Tokai Love Rock is a great affordable guitar.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

On Les Pauls, unless you can afford a vintage one I would swerve Gibson entirely.

Epiphone made a model called the Custom Pro - got mine for around 350 usd - much better than Gibsons costing three times as much.

I totally agree here, NEVER buy a Gibson without checking serial numbers, there are too many dodgy ones out there, try tons of guitars until you find one that really suits you, never buy a guitar without trying it, and keep the Ricky it will only go up in value.

4 hours ago, Lee909 said:

So you weren't shocked she had a suspected heart attack and you had just taken out life insurance 

columbo-gif1.gif?w=250

Show me a man who wouldn’t do a 12 minute self indulgent guitar solo When hearing news like that and I’ll show you a liar 

• Upvote 1

Epi Sheraton’s don’t age so well as the anodised gold hardware discolours on the pickups compared to the bridge parts etc. They’re a bit too fiddly and flimsy.

id get a new epi 339 as they have coil split on the pick ups so you can get more sounds out of them and they’re extremely well built for the money. 

les Paul’s are hit and miss as far as Gibson’s go. Some of the vintage ones are great, I’ve played 100k valued 1959 models at guitar shows and they are masterpieces and can see why they’re sought after, but yeah decent ones are unaffordable, and poor ones are almost equally unaffordable.  I’d say the QC has improved on the ones made in the last 18 months actually. Avoid anything from 2010 to 2018. Or anything with the self tuning thing on, even though it’s actually quite useful.

some early to late 80s models can be picked up reasonably cheap. That era wasnt renowned for being a classic era in terms of les Paul’s but theyre robust and do the job well, a fair few will have been well maintained and upgraded so bargains can be had. 

epiphone Les Pauls are decent enough if you invest in some good pick ups, and upgrade the tuners. The stock ones aren’t brilliant. They’re creeping up in price at the moment and for same money you can get a decent fender tele or strat. Or even a PRS SE.  There’s even better value in Tokai if you can find one. They’re as good as the real thing.

me personally I don’t really like LP’s as they’re too heavy, especially if you’re playing standing up for a while. SGs are better balanced and actually sound a bit better and more playable in my opinion.

theres a great site called thefretboard.co.uk which has a great classified section for second hand stuff. Much safer than eBay and a great community. Prices on there are bang on and the sellers are well vetted so it’s trustworthy. Might be worth a scout on there before making any purchases as there is definitely value in the preloved market at the moment. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, AbbaZabba said:

Epi Sheraton’s don’t age so well as the anodised gold hardware discolours on the pickups compared to the bridge parts etc. They’re a bit too fiddly and flimsy.

id get a new epi 339 as they have coil split on the pick ups so you can get more sounds out of them and they’re extremely well built for the money. 

les Paul’s are hit and miss as far as Gibson’s go. Some of the vintage ones are great, I’ve played 100k valued 1959 models at guitar shows and they are masterpieces and can see why they’re sought after, but yeah decent ones are unaffordable, and poor ones are almost equally unaffordable.  I’d say the QC has improved on the ones made in the last 18 months actually. Avoid anything from 2010 to 2018. Or anything with the self tuning thing on, even though it’s actually quite useful.

some early to late 80s models can be picked up reasonably cheap. That era wasnt renowned for being a classic era in terms of les Paul’s but theyre robust and do the job well, a fair few will have been well maintained and upgraded so bargains can be had. 

epiphone Les Pauls are decent enough if you invest in some good pick ups, and upgrade the tuners. The stock ones aren’t brilliant. They’re creeping up in price at the moment and for same money you can get a decent fender tele or strat. Or even a PRS SE.  There’s even better value in Tokai if you can find one. They’re as good as the real thing.

me personally I don’t really like LP’s as they’re too heavy, especially if you’re playing standing up for a while. SGs are better balanced and actually sound a bit better and more playable in my opinion.

theres a great site called thefretboard.co.uk which has a great classified section for second hand stuff. Much safer than eBay and a great community. Prices on there are bang on and the sellers are well vetted so it’s trustworthy. Might be worth a scout on there before making any purchases as there is definitely value in the preloved market at the moment. 

Amazing help, cheers!

13 minutes ago, AbbaZabba said:

Yeah - the Standards have Kluson style pegs. Custom Pro came stock with Grovers and PAF styles -- just seen they have re-worked them, still has Grovers and now has Probuckers w coil tap/split etc.

A little more expensive than I remember.

Spanny -- take a look on https://reverb.com/ - not sure how the shipping to UK would work but you can get market prices on just about any used gear off it.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yeah - the Standards have Kluson style pegs. Custom Pro came stock with Grovers and PAF styles -- just seen they have re-worked them, still has Grovers and now has Probuckers w coil tap/split etc.

A little more expensive than I remember.

Spanny -- take a look on https://reverb.com/ - not sure how the shipping to UK would work but you can get market prices on just about any used gear off it.

Cheers.

Never importing from the US though if I can help it, always a fuck with customs that ends up costing a fortune. 

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Also worth looking at the Burny label if you can find them. Years ago I worked for the US Fernandes distributor at the factory and doing trade shows - great guitars that can be had now pretty reasonably.

Not gonna lie, it's mainly aesthetic, always thought the Sheraton, in natural finish, was pretty and the Les Paul, well it's iconic and always wanted one for having ones sake.

I've got a beautiful Ibanez electric and a really solid Fender acoustic that I don't play enough as it is, so I was just being greedy.

I had a Epiphone Standard years ago and it was alright, heavy though, top of the neck sounded great but the higher notes we're a bit difficult to get much out of.

Cheers for all the help chaps, I'll get drunk at the weekend and order it and claim it was a drunken impulse buy!

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Not gonna lie, it's mainly aesthetic, always thought the Sheraton, in natural finish, was pretty and the Les Paul, well it's iconic and always wanted one for having ones sake.

I've got a beautiful Ibanez electric and a really solid Fender acoustic that I don't play enough as it is, so I was just being greedy.

I had a Epiphone Standard years ago and it was alright, heavy though, top of the neck sounded great but the higher notes we're a bit difficult to get much out of.

Cheers for all the help chaps, I'll get drunk at the weekend and order it and claim it was a drunken impulse buy!

I was looking at a Sheraton ages ago, quite liked it, but wanted something a little smaller than that 335 shape.

Since fallen in love with the Gretsch G2655t

Gretsch G2655T Streamliner Center Block Jr. with Bigsby in Imperial Stain -  Andertons Music Co.

The larger bodied G2622s are nice as well.

14 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Those Bigsbys are an absolute twat to restring.

Yeah, the reason I've held off is that.  Both in terms of how well it holds tune when I hit it hard and those kinds of practicalities.  Think they look great, but wouldn't use it an awful amount (the trem, that is - I'd be playing the guitar constantly).

7 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I was looking at a Sheraton ages ago, quite liked it, but wanted something a little smaller than that 335 shape.

Since fallen in love with the Gretsch G2655t

Gretsch G2655T Streamliner Center Block Jr. with Bigsby in Imperial Stain -  Andertons Music Co.

The larger bodied G2622s are nice as well.

I had an Ibanez 200 for many years, basically a hollow Artist - the old Scofield guitar - good machine that.

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Tokai is a seriously underrated brand. I've got a five string jazz bass of theirs.

They were making Japanese Fenders in the Tokai factory until a few years ago.

7 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Tokai is a seriously underrated brand. I've got a five string jazz bass of theirs.

They were making Japanese Fenders in the Tokai factory until a few years ago.

Japanese made guitars are nearly always top drawer. Their attention to detail is second to none.

10 hours ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, the reason I've held off is that.  Both in terms of how well it holds tune when I hit it hard and those kinds of practicalities.  Think they look great, but wouldn't use it an awful amount (the trem, that is - I'd be playing the guitar constantly).

I found it easier to change strings 1 at a time and by keeping the Bigsby in position with an old rubber.

Fucking faff on but it kept in tune well. No dive bombing!

• Upvote 1