You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

For such a cynical cunt I've been hugely impressed with all this. There's something beautiful about people just trying to be as good as they can be at something without money being an incentive.

I find people's reaction to things like this shows how subliminally unhappy people are with the direction of the country, and much of their pride at the athletes' achievements stems from (a) that nationalism has been frowned upon and trampled on for too long and (b) that people are sick to death of unhealthy role models for themselves and their kids, Z list celebrities etc.

I hope it does see some kind of lasting change.

Guest Pistonbroke
I've some old bootleg Madness tapes from a tour in 1986,he even sounded woeful then.

Quite a lot of them do sound shite live. Seen some bloody good bands though throughout the years.

They won't though, because once the re-runs and follow ups have been shown and the BBC has rinsed every last viewer out of the footage the country will stop caring again for another 4 years (maybe a slight increase come the world championships until people realise it's not as big and not as fun when it's not in our backyard).

Sure there'll be claims that this is a bright new future but like the ashes in 2005 or every wimbledon ever participation will go up for a little while then dwindle as people realise it's either too bloody expensive, the facilities aren't available or the football is on.

Commonwealth games Glasgow 2014. Two years

For such a cynical cunt I've been hugely impressed with all this. There's something beautiful about people just trying to be as good as they can be at something without money being an incentive.

I find people's reaction to things like this shows how subliminally unhappy people are with the direction of the country, and much of their pride at the athletes' achievements stems from (a) that nationalism has been frowned upon and trampled on for too long and (b) that people are sick to death of unhealthy role models for themselves and their kids, Z list celebrities etc.

Another good post. Well said.

Pity there's talk coming from the yank camp about the athletes missing out on money from the Olympics.

Guest Pistonbroke
So it's the end to the London Olympics and we have to suffer some fucking shite boy and girl bands' date=' but there's no room for Ralph McTell's Streets Of London ? Shocking stuff.[/quote']

Good shout Mick.

Guest Pistonbroke
Emeli Sande (see earlier post). She also murdered 'Abide With Me' during the opening ceremony.

She was shite, but i'd still give her one.

It won't alas, Section.

Next Saturday we're back to the likes of Evra having 75,000 oxygen thieves at worship.

Did One Direction stop that truck so that Harry Styles can shag Gabby Logan?

Fuck me, I should have stuck to my original plan and avoided this Aldi High School Musical!

The BBC montage had me filling up with Eddie Butler, who I hope outlives me so that he can read my Obituary!