You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It's you getting carried away because it's in the UK.

I think it's been an incredible sporting event, regardless of where it has been held or the coverage.

Just like to add my appreciation and enjoyment of the last 3 weeks.

Always sort of enjoyed the Olympics, but i feel the combination of a local time zone and the most comprehensive TV/digital/internet coverage ever (god knows what it'll be like in 4 years!) has taken it to a whole new level. Of course the most GB success in modern history has also helped.

The level of sportsmanship and mutual respect on show puts the f******l to shame really. No coincidence that two of the most noteworthy acts of cuntishness, booing a national anthem and competitor and yesterdays Brazilian tantrum involved f******l ?

No doubt in a few weeks all this will fade and we'll all be bitching and moaning and call each other cunts again! It was nice while it lasted!

Also pleased that the organisation seemed to go off well despite the doom-mongerers and just hope that this "legacy" bears some fruit and doesn't turn out to be a white elephant.

He played a massive role in the bid though, bit harsh.

He's still a twat though.

As Kelster put, it's a myth and Beckham has used the opportunity that fell in his lap to do what the Beckhams always do. Promote brand Beckham. Every single thing he's done since he got with that pouting stick insect has been about promoting the brand. He's been pampered by a five star lifestyle in every Olympic related thing he's attended since he was invited to get on board.

Oh the outrage when someone at least had the balls to stand up and say no when he was left out of the GB squad. I get sick to fucking death of hearing this line about him doing so much for football. Has he fuck. He jumped at the chance to turn his back on the English game as soon as the chance presented it's self. He chose to not give some struggling lower British club his services and went to LA. The only time he showed any intent on leaving LA was for some other world renowned city. Paris. Couldn't quite cut the deal that suited him and instead of wanting to return to ply his trade in his own Olympic hosting city, he fucked off back to LA.

Don't get me wrong. He's taken advantage of every opportunity that's come his way and rightly so, but please don't expect me to fall for this 'Olympic work' myth. He'll be gearing himself up now to attend Buckingham Palace when the inevitable clamour for him to be knighted begins. He'll then take his knighthood before jumping on the first plane back to LA.

Fuck the cunt.

He didn't though. This little myth seems to have grown lately for some reason.

The IOC members see themselves as sporting diplomats who like to be treated like royalty wherever they go. They get to meet every sporting icon alive such as in the Pele, Messi and Ali class. They've seen it all before and having Beckham squash their hand would have just passed them by. He's just a mere sportsman while they are the top sporting administrators.

And he might be a twat, but it was Blair who played all the cards. The amount of lobbying he done even drew complaints from the French as overstepping the mark. Having a smarmy git who was at the top of his worldwide popularity at the time visiting them personally one-to-one is what impressed them. And Jacque Chirac thinking it was beneath him just played more into his hands. Beckham was just part of the team, no more sway than any athlete who was present at the bid.

Tried to rep you for that but need to spread it a bit.

Fair comment on Beckham lads. It will, though, be interesting to see what he does when his playing career is over - whether he actually puts some time into british f***ball or remains a full time celebrity.

Anyhoo - who's this Kim Gavin geezer who's directing the closing ceremony? From what I can gather he's managed the stage show on a few Take That tours. Danny Boyle made an amazing job of the opener. I hope tonight won't become the shitfest it has the potential to. Especially with vacuous cunts like the fucking spice girls 'performing'.

Just like to add my appreciation and enjoyment of the last 3 weeks.

Always sort of enjoyed the Olympics, but i feel the combination of a local time zone and the most comprehensive TV/digital/internet coverage ever (god knows what it'll be like in 4 years!) has taken it to a whole new level. Of course the most GB success in modern history has also helped.

The level of sportsmanship and mutual respect on show puts the f******l to shame really. No coincidence that two of the most noteworthy acts of cuntishness, booing a national anthem and competitor and yesterdays Brazilian tantrum involved f******l ?

No doubt in a few weeks all this will fade and we'll all be bitching and moaning and call each other cunts again! It was nice while it lasted!

Also pleased that the organisation seemed to go off well despite the doom-mongerers and just hope that this "legacy" bears some fruit and doesn't turn out to be a white elephant.

Good post - agree with all that, particularly the part about f******l. I think a lot of the medal winners in this Olympics demonstrate a vast gulf in class and work ethic between themselves and the spoilt prima donnas who are paid multiples of what the athletes get. I'm hoping for a backlash against the rot that is stinking out f******l.

Gotta love Foster and Crams commentaries - informative, enthusiastic, from people who are clearly heavily involved in developing and promoting the sport. By comparison f******l has Lawro and Lineker.

Missed that. What happened?

Looks mighty hot out there

The leader was running past the team drinks station and missed it, and then had to run back 5 yards or so to retrieve his drink.

Looks like there could be two athletes called Kiprovitch on the winners' podium. One from Kenya and one from Uganda.

It's going to be a long week!

We have, nailed this and it has been brilliant. The reason why the coverage has focussed on the British medalists is because we have over 60 of the little beauties, so by and large there has been British interest each hour of every day. I am sure that had we been less successful then other sports would have featured. I don't think there is any coincidence in the fact that this and Sydney are seen to be the best Olympics because we are two countries who love our sports, and enjoy watching sports.

Although I can agree with the sentiments against Football, it is slightly misleading. Steven Gerrard is a dedicated and very successful footballer, who isn't a media whore and hasn't chased money, he sacrificed a lot as a child to excel so there are lots of good examples in football, and they are under a lot more scrutiny than Olympians. I see the FA and Hodgson have made a statement calling for footballers to use the Olympians as examples but they are conveniently ignoring one of the most important aspects of our success e.g. ensuring the best coaches are employed, regardless of nationality - so rather than lecture and play to the gallery the FA should ask why they have 6000 coaches and Germany and Spain have over 25000! And the reason why most of us dislike footballer is the greed, which the FA and the Media have encouraged and benefited from, so it is a bit galling to see them jump on the bandwagon.

The ones who should be focus of attention should be all the celebrity whores, the reality TV nobodies, TOWIE, MIC, TWATS & CUNTS who think that all you need to be is a personality to succeeed, it doesn't matter if that is being a cunt or a drama queen any personality will do. Those are the cunts who should be wiped off the face of this earth, when young girls see Katie Price as an embarrasment rather than a role model we will have seen the legacy of these Olympics.

Finally I think the BBC has been brilliant, and hopefully they will see sense and use BBC3 a lot more, hopefully to bring back Grandstand or similar to provide a platform for these sports to continue. And the Newspapers also, instead of dedicated 10 pages to football try giving more exposure to other sports and other sportsmen and women.

Guest San Don
It's you getting carried away because it's in the UK.

The BBC keep trying to push the same line and all the brits are all for it and lap it up while the foreign athletes/commentators aren't overly bothered. They've used that 'is this one of the best nights in the history of the olympics' (or it's variations) so many times that I think Michael Johnson is going to punch inverdale next time.

Well, derrr!

Dont give us the foreign athletes \ commentators arent overly bothered. They aint overly bothered because they either arent winning or when they do win, are bothered.

Guest San Don
It's going to be a long week!

We have, nailed this and it has been brilliant. The reason why the coverage has focussed on the British medalists is because we have over 60 of the little beauties, so by and large there has been British interest each hour of every day. I am sure that had we been less successful then other sports would have featured. I don't think there is any coincidence in the fact that this and Sydney are seen to be the best Olympics because we are two countries who love our sports, and enjoy watching sports.

Although I can agree with the sentiments against Football, it is slightly misleading. Steven Gerrard is a dedicated and very successful footballer, who isn't a media whore and hasn't chased money, he sacrificed a lot as a child to excel so there are lots of good examples in football, and they are under a lot more scrutiny than Olympians. I see the FA and Hodgson have made a statement calling for footballers to use the Olympians as examples but they are conveniently ignoring one of the most important aspects of our success e.g. ensuring the best coaches are employed, regardless of nationality - so rather than lecture and play to the gallery the FA should ask why they have 6000 coaches and Germany and Spain have over 25000!

The ones who should be focus of attention should be all the celebrity whores, the reality TV nobodies, TOWIE, MIC, TWATS & CUNTS who think that all you need to be is a personality to succeeed, it doesn't matter if that is being a cunt or a drama queen any personality will do. Those are the cunts who should be wiped off the face of this earth, when young girls see Katie Price as an embarrasment rather than a role model we will have seen the legacy of these Olympics.

Finally I think the BBC has been brilliant, and hopefully they will see sense and use BBC3 a lot more, hopefully to bring back Grandstand or similar to provide a platform for these sports to continue. And the Newspapers also, instead of dedicated 10 pages to football try giving more exposure to other sports and other sportsmen and women.

Couldnt agree more.

Despite what a minority of moaning minnies may say, the UK has nailed this Olympics. The coverage has been great, the crowds have turned out beyond expectations, and who cares about fucking bias towards your own?

Anyone who thinks other nations dont show bias towards their own countrymen and women is totally deluded.

LOCOG has done a great job getting seats filled at events. Its the Olympics movement's fault too many tickets are given out to sponsors and accredited people who then dont show up.

At least we did something to get those seats back on the market and filled by people who want to see the games. I've watched Olympic games for longer than I want to remember and there have been plenty of games where stadiums have had lots of empty seats and nothing done to fill them except when the showpiece events start.

Having home adavntage has helped some athletes but so what? Do people seriously think that home advantage in Aus, the US etc didnt have an impact? I dont remember the US spectators politely clapping their athletes at home Olympics!

It is also the first Olympics I can remember where the stadium has been full for the morning sessions! We love our Sport and considering we tend to be quite shite at a lot of them and still turn out whenever there is a tournament, we deserve this success. Look at Wimbledon, year in year out there are thousands waiting for a chance to attend and we haven't had a winner for 35 years!

I was playing an open air gig about a mile away from the Olympic Park yesterday and the buzz in the city was just fantastic.

First time I've been into London not to be met by hoards of miserable twats on every street. Everyone was out, smiles on their faces and having a good time.

Seriously dreading it all ending now. Will have to buy the DVD review if they release one as there was so many good moments to relive.

The velodrome action should be extended as it ended way too soon.

At least we did something to get those seats back on the market and filled by people who want to see the games. I've watched Olympic games for longer than I want to remember and there have been plenty of games where stadiums have had lots of empty seats and nothing done to fill them except when the showpiece events start.
I think that's one of the things that's got me so caught up in the games. Like you, I can remember previous games where the venues have been half empty except for the finals.

I've never really been into the track events but I even found myself sitting through the heat stages just to enjoy the atmospheres generated by the crowds. If you'd have said to me when London won the bid that come the Olympics I'd be glued to the telly watching the marathon, I'd have fell over laughing. I'm sat here now looking at the crowds cheering those runners. I wish I hadn't been such a pessimistic bastard now and maybe I'd have made the effort to go and see some of it.

Australia nailed it when it was their turn, and we've outdone them. Hopefully other countries who have the Olympics to come will be thinking, how can we beat that. We've set some benchmark.

The Grandstand thing is something that has been crossing my mind quite a lot while this has all been going on.

People are saying we are seeing sports we don't normally get to see. The things is we used to get to see a lot more variety when the likes of Grandstand was about.

I think the loss of Grandstand is one of the big reasons why athletes along with participants in many other sports don't get the notice and recognition they probably deserve.

The whole Premier League/Sky/Football overtaking everything else has taken a bit part of it. To my mind Sky have done with other sports what Bernie Ecclestone did with other forms of motorsport and reduced the availability of them to drive interest towards what they see as the biggest money maker for them.

The frustrating part is seeing sports like Rallying constantly changing and adapting to be more like F1 or Football and gearing everything around what they hope will cause TV interest in the sport rather than concentrating on what made the sport popular in the first place. I've lost count of the amount of people who when I say I am involved with rallying who come out with the whole "I used to watch the Lombard every year" and who now don't have a clue what is going on with rallying because it's tucked away on Eurosport at stupid o'clock at night or on Motors TV all so they can pull in the most money from tv revenue never mind what gets the most interest in the sport.

Strangely enough it got more coverage when the rights where given to the BBC for nothing.

I'd love to see the BBC instead of competing for shit like football rights and F1 to actually provide decent coverage of some less popular sports. It might also give football a kick up the arse if/when they realise they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I could go on but I'm losing the plot a little now.

Guest Pistonbroke

Funny as fuck that knob Phil Jones trying to interview the marathon winner Stephen Kiprotich.

Bring on the last boxing finals. Could we round off our great Olympics with another Gold or two.

Guest Pistonbroke
The Grandstand thing is something that has been crossing my mind quite a lot while this has all been going on.

People are saying we are seeing sports we don't normally get to see. The things is we used to get to see a lot more variety when the likes of Grandstand was about.

I think the loss of Grandstand is one of the big reasons why athletes along with participants in many other sports don't get the notice and recognition they probably deserve.

The whole Premier League/Sky/Football overtaking everything else has taken a bit part of it. To my mind Sky have done with other sports what Bernie Ecclestone did with other forms of motorsport and reduced the availability of them to drive interest towards what they see as the biggest money maker for them.

The frustrating part is seeing sports like Rallying constantly changing and adapting to be more like F1 or Football and gearing everything around what they hope will cause TV interest in the sport rather than concentrating on what made the sport popular in the first place. I've lost count of the amount of people who when I say I am involved with rallying who come out with the whole "I used to watch the Lombard every year" and who now don't have a clue what is going on with rallying because it's tucked away on Eurosport at stupid o'clock at night or on Motors TV all so they can pull in the most money from tv revenue never mind what gets the most interest in the sport.

Strangely enough it got more coverage when the rights where given to the BBC for nothing.

I'd love to see the BBC instead of competing for shit like football rights and F1 to actually provide decent coverage of some less popular sports. It might also give football a kick up the arse if/when they realise they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I could go on but I'm losing the plot a little now.

Grandstand should be brought back, deffo. You still get the grand prix meeting on lve but not on the main channels. Eurosport show a variety of sports but the adverts are annoying as is the amateurish commentary.

Guest Pistonbroke
Agree,but this fight was his worst of the whole tournament to be fair.

Only 18 and with the weight of the Cuban Olympic reputation in boxing, he must have been nervous as hell mate.