You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The '2012 London Olympics' Thread

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Community Shield is on, I'd forgotten all about it. I'm watching the mountain biking and boxing. I just can't get worked up about the other sport at the moment, maybe it'll change when the season gets going.

This is what I'm hoping

If any of you want a permanent reminder of these Olympics (and have near-bottomless pockets) you could always check out the official London 2012 auction site, where virtually everything from the games is being flogged off.

For example, current bidding for a net from the basketball final (not the hoop and backboard mind you, just the net) is a mere £1,805!

Or you could bag a used javelin, one careful owner, for £395. I can just imagine the scene in A&E when someone decides they're going to take that out to the park and start practicing to be the next Jessica Ennis.

For those with smaller budgets, a shuttlecock from the women's bronze medal badminton match can be yours for just £145.

Finally, for the ultimate in garden ornaments,there are loads of 6ft tall Wenlocks available. They don't show up under the 'mascot sculptures' category for some reason but hitting 'popular items' or 'newest items' will reveal gems like this one-eyed freak. Infuriate your neighbours! Terrify your children! All across the land kids will be waking up every five minutes and peering out of the bedroom window, convinced that he's moving nearer to the house.

No wonder they were so quick to nick the baton off Bolt last night. Any offers?

Haha, that was the first thing I thought. They have a baton that was used by a medalist in the men's 4x100m but in the semi final race not the final, that's going for £1,895 at the moment.

Interestingly, that bit of information was added to the listing later:

ADDENDUM: This baton was used by a medalist in the men's 4 x 100m relay but it was used during a semi-final race.

The item is just listed as:

Medallist baton for men's 4 x 100m relay

Bit naughty that.

I wish Beckham would fuck off. He was on the panel last night with genuine former Olympic athletes. "David what did you think of the Jamaican relay performance?" Who gives a fuck what the simple-faced cunt thinks?

Other than that, Jade Jones needs bumming.

I wish Beckham would fuck off. He was on the panel last night with genuine former Olympic athletes. "David what did you think of the Jamaican relay performance?" Who gives a fuck what the simple-faced cunt thinks?

The other 3 were introduced as multiple Olympic medal winners and oh, David Beckham, you havent won anything......and havent really anything to contribute to this discussion either, have you?

The Grandstand thing is something that has been crossing my mind quite a lot while this has all been going on.

People are saying we are seeing sports we don't normally get to see. The things is we used to get to see a lot more variety when the likes of Grandstand was about.

I think the loss of Grandstand is one of the big reasons why athletes along with participants in many other sports don't get the notice and recognition they probably deserve.

The whole Premier League/Sky/Football overtaking everything else has taken a bit part of it. To my mind Sky have done with other sports what Bernie Ecclestone did with other forms of motorsport and reduced the availability of them to drive interest towards what they see as the biggest money maker for them.

The frustrating part is seeing sports like Rallying constantly changing and adapting to be more like F1 or Football and gearing everything around what they hope will cause TV interest in the sport rather than concentrating on what made the sport popular in the first place. I've lost count of the amount of people who when I say I am involved with rallying who come out with the whole "I used to watch the Lombard every year" and who now don't have a clue what is going on with rallying because it's tucked away on Eurosport at stupid o'clock at night or on Motors TV all so they can pull in the most money from tv revenue never mind what gets the most interest in the sport.

Strangely enough it got more coverage when the rights where given to the BBC for nothing.

I'd love to see the BBC instead of competing for shit like football rights and F1 to actually provide decent coverage of some less popular sports. It might also give football a kick up the arse if/when they realise they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I could go on but I'm losing the plot a little now.

Excellent post!! Fully agree. Don't start me on Rallying.....

For example, I've forgotten how good hockey is, I remember the 1984 GB bronze & 1988 Gold as well as the 1986 World Cup which was covered by the BBC - the players were household names. The BBC aren't meant to be about chasing ratings; surely covering minority sports are part of their remit.

A lot of these sports need mainstream coverage - what will happen now after the games have finished? Back to obscurity..?? What about legacy?

Anyone watching Gabby Logan's interview with Sue Campbell? Arrived late to it. Anyone know who she is? This is starting to annoy me how little focus is being given to the legacy for grassroots rather than elite sportspeople

I notice that the cunt has got himself in on this as well. I'm seriously sick of seeing him now, he's got nothing to do with the Olympic games, he's a washed up footballer who quit the country to play in a semi-pro league for megabucks years ago. Apart from him, great video though.

[YOUTUBE]aYtpL5YhWOQ[/YOUTUBE]

Excellent post!! Fully agree. Don't start me on Rallying.....

For example, I've forgotten how good hockey is, I remember the 1984 GB bronze & 1988 Gold as well as the 1986 World Cup which was covered by the BBC - the players were household names. The BBC aren't meant to be about chasing ratings; surely covering minority sports are part of their remit.

A lot of these sports need mainstream coverage - what will happen now after the games have finished? Back to obscurity..?? What about legacy?

Agree completely the BBC and C4 have stepped away from their mandate as I see it to simply chase ratings. It's all very well for the BBC to constantly raise the issues of sports funding and promotion on much of their Olympic coverage but they don't seem to have raised their own responsibility and failure. We can't realistically expect them to compete for expensive popular sports but it has been an opportunity for them to give coverage to less popular sports desperate for air time.

It's actually through a magazine programme like Grandstand that we used to get too see minority sports. In many ways whilst we now have more hours of sport overall available to watch the diversity of sports on TV has been seriously compromised over the last 15 years or so.

Don't get me started about rallying, I used to enjoy watching the BBC's coverage of rallying.

All-in-all though, I did like the adidas top he was wearing. Looking all round for one. If anyone can locate that would be fairly awesome.

Fair comment on Beckham lads. It will, though, be interesting to see what he does when his playing career is over - whether he actually puts some time into british f***ball or remains a full time celebrity.

Anyhoo - who's this Kim Gavin geezer who's directing the closing ceremony? From what I can gather he's managed the stage show on a few Take That tours. Danny Boyle made an amazing job of the opener. I hope tonight won't become the shitfest it has the potential to. Especially with vacuous cunts like the fucking spice girls 'performing'.

I thought you were just joking. Gabby Logan just name-checking them for later on now.....arggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Guest Pistonbroke

Silver for Samantha Murray in the women's modern pentathlon, well done lass. That is that then as far as events go. The Lithuanian lass who won was quite cute.