You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fabio Borini

moof

I don't really get all the Dirk comparisons. Just seems to be because Dirk has left and Borini has arrived. Borini is the type of striker who wants to get in behind teams whereas Dirk (when he played through the middle) was a hold-up player who'd bring others into the game. And I can't believe people are writing him off as a goalscorer. Should have scored against Hearts, but he surely would have done were it not for 3 bad offside decisions.

The Dirk comparisons have more to do with Borini having a similar attitude and work-rate, rather than sharing the same style of play. On the MF match thread, I wrote the following about Borini:

...worked his arse off and got into some good positions, including one which might have got him a goal. It's early days, but he's like a Dirk Kuyt with a bit more movement and pace, but not yet the big-game impact. As I said after the Hearts game, although he may miss a few chances from time to time, I hope he remains confident in his own game and continues to get into dangerous positions because he will profit from it sooner or later.

Like the look of him. Started off tentatively yesterday and after the early miss could easily have gone into a shell but seemed to thrive with the higher tempo and grew in confidence as the game wore on. Good movement off the ball and seems to have the strikers instinct to be in the right position more times than not.

He'll do alright, once he scores a few.

One of the highlights of the game for me was in the 1st half Borini geeing up the Kop before a corner. Love passion like that. Hope he nets a couple in the prem soon to settle his nerves as I think you can see he's working very hard, maybe putting to much pressure on him self as he has been touted as a goal scorer. And I'm sure even he knows how badly we need a goal scorer.

YNWA

Chances will fall to him every game because he thinks like a goalscorer. Could have done with him last season.

Yep. That interception on the halfway line (or thereabouts) when he eventually played in Suarez was great. Hard work and a bit of anticipation created that. Love his workrate.

It's a shame he didn't finish that brilliant ball in from little Raheem, that would have been a fantastic goal. Was actually a fairly tough one to finish when you look at it closely though.

In hindsight, having to play these EL qualifiers could be a blessing in disguise, as they are competitive enough to class as a proper hit out for some of the players still trying to settle into this team. Borini definitely fits into this category.

It's too early to judge but the signs are a bit worrying for me. He doesn't look to be technically gifted.

I think that may be down to him starting out wide me, he certainly hasn't got the ability to beat men. If we are going to get the best out of him it looks like it is going to be through the middle in my opinion.

I think that may be down to him starting out wide me, he certainly hasn't got the ability to beat men. If we are going to get the best out of him it looks like it is going to be through the middle in my opinion.

Yeah that's a good point and one I know about and should have put in my post. I don't think he's a wide player at all, he look like a square peg in a round hole out there.

We've yet to have a manager that doesn't have a certain annoying stubbornness about something, maybe borini out wide will be Brendan's. Early days but I like the look of him to be honest I think his clever movement would be more suited around the box central.

Yeah that's a good point and one I know about and should have put in my post. I don't think he's a wide player at all, he look like a square peg in a round hole out there.

Its all relative though - much better technically than Kuyt and more of a threat to go by than either Kuyt or Downing. He is a better wide player than any from last year and could improve by moving central, that is hardly a knock on him.

I just wish it was him in the middle and Suarez coming from outwide.

This has got to happen. Suarez is never going to be that kind of striker that is waiting in the right areas for the kind of shots that usually lead to goals. I noticed that Suarez has had 11 shots already this season, with 1 goal. It needs to be Borini in the middle, surely.

It's too early to judge but the signs are a bit worrying for me. He doesn't look to be technically gifted.

I think his technique is better than it has looked so far. Maybe it's just a case of him settling down but I think we'll see more that side of him after he's been here a couple more months.