You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fabio Borini

moof

Anyone watch ESPN Press pass?

Gab Marcotti was on last night talking about Borini and he was saying he is a player that coaches love because he has a very good understanding of the game, and is tactically very aware, and that whilst he has faults almost every coach he has spoken to loves working with him and raves about him.

Tactically aware and good understanding of the game usually means 'works hard, nothing special'

Tactically aware and good understanding of the game usually means 'works hard, nothing special'

I can't remember exactly, but basically you tell him to do something and he does it, is always in the right place, good positioning and that the sum of the parts is better than the rest or something like that! I can't remember, he reminded me of Kuyt from the description, but faster.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I'm surprised by the apathy shown towards this signings. For me, we've signed a very talented player who will likely score a lot of goals for us. I'm really looking forward to him linking up with Gerrard and Suarez. Hopefully somebody like Sturridge, too.

Guest ShoePiss
I'm surprised by the apathy shown towards this signings. For me, we've signed a very talented player who will likely score a lot of goals for us. I'm really looking forward to him linking up with Gerrard and Suarez. Hopefully somebody like Sturridge, too.

It's probably because he's close to being a complete unknown quantity. He's scored 9 league goals at the top level. All we have really is the word of Rodgers and a few youtube clips.

Personally it's better if I don't know anything about the player because I will always start out positive that way, unless they've already proved themselves. He hasn't yet, hopefully he does with us.

You're right, my last few posts have been a bit pessimistic. Im not "whining" though - unlike some on here I've been right behind Rodgers. People are allowed to voice their worries though. So to summarise, fuck off, i'll say what I please.

Hmmmmm strange, you argue the case for yourself to say what you like but tell him to "Fuck off" when he responds the way he wants? That's special!

I assume you've watched him a fair bit so you're a better authority on how good he actually his.

but it's Rodgers thats buying him and he's watched/coached/worked with him a shit load more than anyone on this board - why not trust his judgement?

As I said, he may become a good player for us. He may even be outstanding. But he could also be mediocre/rubbish.

Im optimistic.

Really - I'd fuckin hate to ready anything pessimistic of yours then!

But excited? Not really. I was excited when we signed Torres, Suarez, Mascherano, etc. Genuine world class players who have proven their quality. Borini hasn't even been a consistant first teamer, last season being his only substantial appearance in the first team with 24 appearances.

But have you ever been excited about players that you thought might be brilliant for us? I thought Babel would set the world on fire, I thought Harry Kewel was coming to the place that would really let him display is class and ability - by the same token have you ever thought someone would be shit and they've turned out to be brilliant, Sami Hyypia for example or Veggard Heggem?

In "summary" - have you ever been wrong before and do you think you'll be wrong in the future?

Yup. Feeling really positive about this signing.

I'd like sturridge too. I'd rather him over dempsey.

re: dempsey - i dont think he would be a bad signing, anything over 7 million is a stretch though. but.... he would be a good US marketing tool

we could have done with him in a few games last season. he is a tenacious little fucker.

Dempsey's fucking shit, always has been, always will & anyone letting him wear a Liverpool top next season won't change that.

17 PL goals last season, and 12 the season before that suggest he's got something to add to the squad.

Dont think he's good enough to be a regular starter for a top 4 side, but as a replacement for Kuyt it make sense.

Hmmmmm strange, you argue the case for yourself to say what you like but tell him to "Fuck off" when he responds the way he wants? That's special!

but it's Rodgers thats buying him and he's watched/coached/worked with him a shit load more than anyone on this board - why not trust his judgement?

Really - I'd fuckin hate to ready anything pessimistic of yours then!

But have you ever been excited about players that you thought might be brilliant for us? I thought Babel would set the world on fire, I thought Harry Kewel was coming to the place that would really let him display is class and ability - by the same token have you ever thought someone would be shit and they've turned out to be brilliant, Sami Hyypia for example or Veggard Heggem?

In "summary" - have you ever been wrong before and do you think you'll be wrong in the future?

I don't know how you quote in little tidbits.

1) He can respond however he likes, he'll get told to fuck off for telling me to "stop whining" when i'm putting forward some reasoned worries and fears for the future. He is also one of the biggest pricks on here and has the gall to tell me to 'stop whining' because i'm not excited about Borini (I don't have to be, you know) when he was calling our manager a cunt last week.

2) I said he could be great, he could be mediocre, he could be shit. Nobody knows, not even Rodgers. I don't see how anybody could "trust his judgement" seeing as hes been here for all of 5 minutes. I'll back him and put my faith in his judgement but I'm not going to convince myself Borini is amazing because well, that would be deluded. I dont know. Neither do you.

3) I completely agree - Skrtle, Reina, et al. These are players who came from nowhere. Borini may be one of them. But they weren't exciting signings. And yes, I was excited that Babel may have become a good player for us but we also signed Torres in that window.

To summarise, yes I have (but honestly - very rarely, odd as it is), but that isn't my point. I have no opinion on Borini. My pessimism is down to the fact that we may not see any genuine world class talent being signed this summer and have another year of watching Downing and Henderson whilst punching ourselves in the face. It has nothing to do with Borini. I wish him all the best here and have high hopes for him.

Dempsey's fucking shit, always has been, always will & anyone letting him wear a Liverpool top next season won't change that.

17 goals in 37 games last season (For Fulham remember!)

7 assists

63% of shots on targets (88>136)

fulhams player of the year last 2 years

Now i'm not saying let's defo go and get him but he clearly isn't shit. Agreed he can be a cunt but he was all over us at craven cottage last year.

17 PL goals last season, and 12 the season before that suggest he's got something to add to the squad.

Dont think he's good enough to be a regular starter for a top 4 side, but as a replacement for Kuyt it make sense.

Let's just hand Adam the captains armband and be done with it then.

We don't need anymore fucking squad filler. Years upon years of over paying for shit squad players and then wondering why we keep saying we only need to add one or two quality players.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I very much doubt it's true or will turn out to be true, but if it's Dempsey + Carroll for 10m and we get Sturridge/Walcott (who Lipton says we're interested in) with that money, we'll have a player in the squad who has contributed a lot of goals the last two years, plus a first choice front row with Borini, Suarez and Sturridge. Dempsey isn't ideal, but if it happens, I'd say we'll be significantly stronger than before, not to mention more suited to Rodgers' system.

THIS.

And him being a good marketing tool would make good business sense.

There's a masterclass in hindsight and bullshit on this thread. People who haven't a fuckin clue about most of the players being mentioned or Rodgers' plans are already dismissing everything as a failure. How many of you thought that buying Gary Mac was a joke at the time? I'd say the majority of you. If it has failed after a season then have a go about it, not before it's even been tried or tested. wankers.

I very much doubt it's true or will turn out to be true, but if it's Dempsey + Carroll for 10m and we get Sturridge/Walcott (who Lipton says we're interested in) with that money, we'll have a player in the squad who has contributed a lot of goals the last two years, plus a first choice front row with Borini, Suarez and Sturridge. Dempsey isn't ideal, but if it happens, I'd say we'll be significantly stronger than before, not to mention more suited to Rodgers' system.

Even though he is a cunt, if it really is Dempsey + Borini for Carroll then that may be a good deal.

But if that is the case then the owners have effectively spent nothing. With Dempsey and Borini for Carroll (which would be decent business), we should be looking to sign two more. A CM and a very very good forward.

We don't need anymore fucking squad filler. Years upon years of over paying for shit squad players and then wondering why we keep saying we only need to add one or two quality players.

Of all the pricks that frequent this forum, you have to be the biggest prick of them all. A syphilis ridden prick at that.

Lets exggerate some more eh...

Look, i agree we need to add quality rather than quantity, and it's certainly top quality we are most short of at the moment. But we havent seen the full picture of our business this summer. Kuyt has left and i expect at least 3-4 more to follow him. Probably between Maxi, Bellamy, Adam, Carroll, Cole and Aquilani. If Borini and Dempsey represented our only signings this summer, i'd fucking despair, but i dont think that's likely to be the case.

Actually - yes we do! We are not the powerhouse team we once were and the sooner fas fans realise this the better because at that stage expectations will be at the right place and good young managers like Rodgers will be given the time to impose his character and style on the club and team.

I don't think Dempsey is a world beater - but as I said, we're not working in that market now - but as a replacement for Kuyt, I think he'd be an improvment.

The same applies to Borini but the added advantage with Borini is that he is young and can develop from Good to Brilliant with time and coaching.

Let's give them a chance eh?

A clear sign of madness is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Let's do something different.

Guest ShoePiss
THIS.

And him being a good marketing tool would make good business sense.

There's a masterclass in hindsight and bullshit on this thread. People who haven't a fuckin clue about most of the players being mentioned or Rodgers' plans are already dismissing everything as a failure. How many of you thought that buying Gary Mac was a joke at the time? I'd say the majority of you. If it has failed after a season then have a go about it, not before it's even been tried or tested. wankers.

I think most are positive or at least hopeful. I can't recall anyone saying he's going to a failure, if they have they're in a very small minority and not really worth commenting on.

Gary Mcallister is a shit comparison as he was a seasoned pro, one of the best around for a number of years and it's probably before the time of some here ha!

Edit: oh you're on about Deuce. He's average really. A decent player and will be ok for a season, not top four material. Marketing? Yeah I see fucking loads of Fulham and USA Dempsey shirts. Nonsense.

[hrIGHT][/hrIGHT]

Actually - yes we do! We are not the powerhouse team we once were and the sooner fas fans realise this the better because at that stage expectations will be at the right place and good young managers like Rodgers will be given the time to impose his character and style on the club and team.

I don't think Dempsey is a world beater - but as I said, we're not working in that market now - but as a replacement for Kuyt, I think he'd be an improvment.

The same applies to Borini but the added advantage with Borini is that he is young and can develop from Good to Brilliant with time and coaching.

Let's give them a chance eh?

A clear sign of madness is continuing to do the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Let's do something different.

Borini's young and could develope into a proper player. I've no problem with that type of signing.

Dempsey's average shit and only going to get worse once he hits 30 this season.

Here's an idea. Instead of turning over the squad and flogging five average ones with five average in, why not spend the money on some quality. It might just stop us from sitting here next year, wondering why we've not moved forwards.

Sad times when spurs are moving further ahead of us and they're not even in the top four clubs in the league.