You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Golf Thread

lifetime fan

Anyone else heading to Lytham St Annes this week? I'm there on Saturday, just hoping it isn't going to be a quagmire.

Hearing the Americans complain about the rough already is music to my ears, that's why I've always preferred links golf, you have to think and plan your way around the course and it isn't a contest of who can hit the ball furthest.

Paddy Power paying out EW on top seven positions, I'm backing Harrington, Westwood and Mickelson, all EW.

I'm backing Rickie Fowler. Great player and a colourful chappie in a game full of dweebs. I watched him at sandwich last year in that terrible weather and he played great.

GO RICKY, IN THA HOOOOOOLLLLLLE!!

great name as well. fuckin boss.

I played a round this week with a mate who isn't great to say the least.

However he used this new TaylorMade 5 wood off the tee most holes and it is the most forgiving club I have ever seen in my life.

IMG_4926__78938_zoom.jpg

He hit the ball off the heel, off the toe, basically anywhere but out the middle and every single fucking time it went long and straight.

If anyone is a mid to high handicapper and they just want to welly the ball straight off the tee get onto this.

Absolute bargain for less than a hundred quid.

I used to have a Bubble Burner 2 about 10-12 years ago. Best driver I’ve ever had. Fucking shaft was broken when moving house and because it went thin-fat-thin, it couldn’t be replaced. I loved that club and was regularly putting for my second shot on par 4s thanks to it. I’ve never driven as well since. Granted I’ve made some pretty big swing changes since then that got me straighter while losing 40-50 yards in distance, but still. I weep for the loss of that club.

I used to have a Bubble Burner 2 about 10-12 years ago. Best driver I’ve ever had. Fucking shaft was broken when moving house and because it went thin-fat-thin, it couldn’t be replaced. I loved that club and was regularly putting for my second shot on par 4s thanks to it. I’ve never driven as well since. Granted I’ve made some pretty big swing changes since then that got me straighter while losing 40-50 yards in distance, but still. I weep for the loss of that club.

I'm going for a fitting next week see how I get on with it, on offer at the moment for £99.

This lad really isn't anything to write home about and he was just wellying it 200 yards every hole.

Unbelievable club.

I'm going for a fitting next week see how I get on with it, on offer at the moment for £99.

This lad really isn't anything to write home about and he was just welling 200 yards.

Unbelievable club.

My mate does the custom fitting for Cobra in Ireland and he swears by it. Says a proper fitting followed by getting the club shape recommended can have huge effects on your game; and he’s right.

I had a fitting during the Open in Hoylake in 2006. My mate was with Calloway at the time and was running the stand and put me in for a fitting. There were big screens around the stage with loads of people watching me getting fitted. I was shitting it standing there with the then new C4 (that never caught on for some reason but it was an excellent club) trying to keep the ball in bounds and hit it far. The first drive I hit didn’t even register it went that far right…..

I love golf but am just pretty rubbish at it .

This. Got a new set of Wilson Di9 irons after using an old set of Howson clubs that were given me. Only use a Dunlop 3 wood and driver i got from SportsDirect. Don't have too much of a problem teeing off. Can welly it with the best of them i play with, even though they are using far more expensive woods and drivers.

The problem then happens when i start to use my irons. It drives me nuts. Told to not lift head up. I don't. Still top the fucking ball.

Told to try a hybrid. I do. Still slice/ top the fucking ball.

Told all sorts of shit am doing wrong. Correct it. still top the fucking ball!

Seriously does my head in. Now, i've had some of the best/funniest moments on the golf course. Usually provided by me. I enjoy the social side, try not to take it too seriously when playing, however, would still like to go round a course with out thinking bollocks to it half way round.

The problem with me, and i daresay quiet a few on here, is that we don't play or even practice enough.

Know what you mean about not fucking up when people watching. Sliced it mental in the American Golf practice net. Even the bloke laughed.

I know that dreaded feeling of 'don't fuck this up people are watching'.

I won a round of golf with Chris Woods at a charity auction a few years ago with a fiver a hole for cancer research.

Cunt took £90 off me.

Rather coincidental that cancer can take 90lbs off you too!

Played this morning , parred the first two but after that the lowest I got was 5 on the par 3's and 7 on par 4's . It was as if I had just never played before

I could play tomorrow and be way better but play the day after and fuck knows how it could go

It is strange because when I played in our work society I was ace and was matching some of the big hitters on ther drives and hit the greens in one on all apr 3's . However today I did not get 50 yards with several drives and on two ocassions I did not get past ladies tee (cock out)

STUPID GAME

Played this morning , parred the first two but after that the lowest I got was 5 on the par 3's and 7 on par 4's . It was as if I had just never played before

I could play tomorrow and be way better but play the day after and fuck knows how it could go

It is strange because when I played in our work society I was ace and was matching some of the big hitters on ther drives and hit the greens in one on all apr 3's . However today I did not get 50 yards with several drives and on two ocassions I did not get past ladies tee (cock out)

STUPID GAME

The elephant.

Biggest problem I have is that I broke and dislocated my left shoulder a couple of years back and due to work commitments, weather and bloody women I've never put the effort to recover my game.

I really need to get some more lessons and sort out a swing that can accomodate my shoulder but I fucking hate the driving range.