You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Official Golf Thread

lifetime fan

26 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Loved all the commentary on sky suggesting 3 wood or long iron up 18 as camera followed Rory onto tee box. Bag down glove on reaches for the big dog no discussion with caddy. Glad it worked out for him as Rahm getting all sorts for the decision he made at 11.  So hoping Rory wins the Masters but going out now and having ew on Jason Day and Justin Rose would say Rory hard to back. 

I love how fast Rory plays. Within seconds of getting to the tee he had his shot; no messing about it, exactly how it should be.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

Great point that, you should swing naturally and then look to make slight adjustments from there. There’s no point in trying to mimic the “perfect” golf swing as it doesn’t exist. Do what comes natural but make slight tweaks and practice.

Jim Furyk liked this

• 2 weeks later...

I joined a society and we had our first game yesterday. I don’t have an official handicap but every time I play I put my score on golfshake and it calculates and maintains my handicap, which before yesterday was 21.3

All new players have to play off 18 which is fair enough.

I shot 86 gross and scored 38 points Stableford so I won! Got a nice little trophy and £40 prize money. Also won £5 for nearest the pin; 3 feet but only missed the fucking putt didn’t I!

The lads obviously think i’m a bandit which is unfortunate because i’m genuinely not, it’s only the second time i’ve ever broken 90 although the other time was on a par 69 course which I don’t really count (this was a par 71 course).

Can’t wait for the next one although i’ll be off 16 (my handicap on Golfshake has dropped to 19.8).

• Upvote 1

On 31/03/2019 at 08:06, Brownie said:

I joined a society and we had our first game yesterday. I don’t have an official handicap but every time I play I put my score on golfshake and it calculates and maintains my handicap, which before yesterday was 21.3

All new players have to play off 18 which is fair enough.

I shot 86 gross and scored 38 points Stableford so I won! Got a nice little trophy and £40 prize money. Also won £5 for nearest the pin; 3 feet but only missed the fucking putt didn’t I!

The lads obviously think i’m a bandit which is unfortunate because i’m genuinely not, it’s only the second time i’ve ever broken 90 although the other time was on a par 69 course which I don’t really count (this was a par 71 course).

Can’t wait for the next one although i’ll be off 16 (my handicap on Golfshake has dropped to 19.8).

I have used Golfshake but havent played for about 3 years so would love to start again. My two lads both play,one very regularly and is pretty good,or so he likes to brag.

Yip a bit . Two new holes serious upgrade on old 17 and 18 that are now defunct. Great course as it is very fair if the weather for open is good pros will tear it apart if the wind blows and you are off your game the course will eat them up. Think viewers and spectators will be stunned as to the natural look and beauty  with a mixture of birdie opportunities and real difficult holes were par actually a good score. 

As for playing you need to be pretty consistent golfer to cough up 175 to 200 quid a round . Would not want to be paying that and having a nightmare. Would suggest playing Rathmore (sister course right beside main course) first get your eye in before tackling big course. It is a cracker at very good value for money. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Yip a bit . Two new holes serious upgrade on old 17 and 18 that are now defunct. Great course as it is very fair if the weather for open is good pros will tear it apart if the wind blows and you are off your game the course will eat them up. Think viewers and spectators will be stunned as to the natural look and beauty  with a mixture of birdie opportunities and real difficult holes were par actually a good score. 

As for playing you need to be pretty consistent golfer to cough up 175 to 200 quid a round . Would not want to be paying that and having a nightmare. Would suggest playing Rathmore (sister course right beside main course) first get your eye in before tackling big course. It is a cracker at very good value for money. 

Nice one mate, have never even seen it on TV so looking forward to seeing how it looks.

6 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Rewards for good shots and punishment for bad ones is exactly how a major course should play.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

The Masters starts in 9 days. 4 days of me staring enviously at the jammy jammy bastards. I'd love to see Justin Rose win it. 

The phoney major. Same course,a restricted field,and one of the snottiest clubs in the world. If this is a major then the Sawgrass tournament is equally worthy.

• Downvote 1

12 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The phoney major. Same course,a restricted field,and one of the snottiest clubs in the world. If this is a major then the Sawgrass tournament is equally worthy.

Agreed the restricted field really pisses me off. Love Freddy Couples as a player but he should not even be in the field based on world rankings and look how competitive he is in it year after year as the course obviously suits him ? McIlroy will be competitive at Augusta for next 20 years if he wins it once.  That's why the open is the ultimate major a truly open field with proper qualifying. Heard yesterday that McDowell even with his win at weekend is not in a position to get into open field yet. Would be heartbreaking but I bet he will be doing everything in his schedule to play in qualifiers as it should be.

31 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Agreed the restricted field really pisses me off. Love Freddy Couples as a player but he should not even be in the field based on world rankings and look how competitive he is in it year after year as the course obviously suits him ? McIlroy will be competitive at Augusta for next 20 years if he wins it once.  That's why the open is the ultimate major a truly open field with proper qualifying. Heard yesterday that McDowell even with his win at weekend is not in a position to get into open field yet. Would be heartbreaking but I bet he will be doing everything in his schedule to play in qualifiers as it should be.

I agree. The two Opens are the ultimate majors,unless they play it at the Old Course at St Andrews which is almost a pitch and putt given the quality of players and technology in the modern era.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

+2 through 12. Fat bastard. 

2 double cheeseburgers through 12 ? He will be done in 5 minutes. 

Sandy Lyle loves a good start doesn't he. Ends up +300 by Friday night and starts trying to bottle a crocodile with a bottle of Famous Grouse. 

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Koepka with a great first round and low key going for his 3rd straight major. Never seen a guy turn it on in the majors like he does compared to how he regularly plays. Certified stud. 

He has balls of steel. I have £15 ew on him at 25s

49 minutes ago, mgw100 said:

I don't want him to in but if he does ill be happy for you. Looking good that first round. You don't want to be the front runner in these though. Not that I'd know. 

8 hours ago, mgw100 said:

Christ, and I was happy with my £2.50 ew bet on him, hope it comes in for both of us. I was reading a few experts before the tournament saying he wouldn't win it becuase his form wasn't good enough, but like 3 Stacks points out, his majors record is phenomonal so I had a punt anyway.

The less said about my tenner on McIlroy to win it, the better. Also have £2 ew on Jason Day as he historically does well at Augusta. Some players just seem to like the course, not surprised to see Woods, Mickelson and Adam Scott up there amongst the leading pack given their track resords here.

The one player I couldn't bare to see win it is that De Chambeau chump. I hate his stupid flat caps and his even stupider name.

• 1 month later...